• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petrol mpg has caught up significantly now loads of small cars like fiestas have tiny engines with superchargers or turbos can do 60-70 mpg

The EcoBoost range. 60-70mpg but also 125bhp if you get the right model. Be interesting to see how the engines (1.0 or 1.25 3cyl) cope with the turbos and the relevant strain, seems like a disaster waiting to happen to me

Petrol mpg has caught up significantly now loads of small cars like fiestas have tiny engines with superchargers or turbos can do 60-70 mpg

The EcoBoost range. 60-70mpg but also 125bhp if you get the right model. Be interesting to see how the engines (1.0 or 1.25 3cyl) cope with the turbos and the relevant strain, seems like a disaster waiting to happen to me

This thing has a 3.5 litre engine and boasts 0-60 in 5.9 seconds.

I admit knowing nothing about hybrids but it sounds quite attractive; apart from being rear wheel drive of course.

I bought a brand new 1.0 Fiesta Ecoboost 100bhp in March last year. Trip computer has the average mpg at 57.1 at the moment (I've done 8500 miles so far) and it's still going up. It's reasonably nippy and is a good looking car. Really pleased with it, for what I use it for anyway.

I bought a brand new 1.0 Fiesta Ecoboost 100bhp in March last year. Trip computer has the average mpg at 57.1 at the moment (I've done 8500 miles so far) and it's still going up. It's reasonably nippy and is a good looking car. Really pleased with it, for what I use it for anyway.

It's a woman's car.

Yeah they are nice cars, especially for the money, I just wonder about the long term effects of a turbo on such a small engine

Yeah they are nice cars, especially for the money, I just wonder about the long term effects of a turbo on such a small engine

I'll punt it back to the dealer when it's 3 years old and pick up a new one anyway ;)

The turbo probably doesn't kick in til X thousand rpm, so unless the car's constantly being driven like it's been stolen I wouldn't have thought there'd be much cause for concern.

60%-70% of these Fiestas have been "sold" to U21s on finance though, most will be guys, and most will see the word "turbocharged" and "125bhp" and thrash it everywhere

My 25 year old diesel 4x4 gets about 23mpg and has a 0-60 time of about a minute. I'd be tempted to modernise if there were actually any new cars I found appealing but they're all a bit of a blandfest to me.

I'll probably run the old barge into the ground and buy a newer petrol car next as modern diesels scare me with some of the repair bill horror stories you hear (DPFs, turbos, injectors etc).

You're all talking out your arses. MG Midget. In town. 20mpg max. Maybe 35mpg on the open road.

Fuel efficiency is for schmucks.

*Sobs uncontrollably because his car is in storage as the coolant system keeps failing.*

My year-old diesel Leon went in to garage recently as DPF light wouldn't go out, even though it had been on plenty of long drives etc to clear it. They told me it was my fault and that I'd have to pay them nearly £2,500 to fix it. I didn't take this very well and after a couple of terse emails to SEAT and the garage, and parking the car outside the garage with posters in the windows highlighting my concerns and warning other potential customers, they saw the light and decided it probably was a warranty issue.

My car failed it's MOT and I was quoted more than £800 by Evans Halshaw to get it fixed.

After I picked myself up from the floor (cars been running fine, no issues) I decided to go away and speak to the manufacturer about the warranty, as it still has it's seven year Kia warranty. I have now booked it in for another MOT at an official Kia garage who will service it first and check the warranty.

I just wanted a second opinion as I was blown away by the EH bill. Do they have a bad rep?

Seeing as though we're talking cars - i have a shitty 13 year old focus that i got for free and it was running ok but went to start it one day and the red battery light was on and it was hard to start but still got it going. When i last went to it it didn't start so the battery is clearly not starting. Is this always down to the battery itself or could it be the alternators fault? Going to get jump leads to get it up the road as i can't be bothered forking out just now, also as someone has said it might be the alternator so the battery would be a waste of time and money

Your MPG can vary because of a few things. Driving style, properly maintained vehicle, even tyres can effect it.

According to my cars computer I'm getting about 28 MPG in a 10 year old petrol 1.4 Seat Ibiza. Which isn't great. I'm not in a position to buy a newish car just now so even if I sell this and try and get a diesel I don't think it'd be worth switching over.

Yes they do last longer, my best car was a 1.9 tdi focus and it was great.Hardly had any trouble with it despite getting it up to about 80 k. Bought a petrol BMW with 107 k on the clock and it was nothing but trouble.

Diesel engines last longer dont they?

I had a Golf with a 2 Litre SDI engine. Slow as hell, but virtually indestructible.

Probably but the DPF went on my Mazda 6 at about 87k miles despite me having it cleaned out on a couple of occasions. It's one of those annoying things that is going to cost a heap to fix in terms of what the car is worth by that time. These filter things really should be easier and cheaper to fix or replace.

My Mazda 3 diesel is in for its service today and I got a 1.5 "sport" petrol engine Mazda 3 as a courtesy car. Sport my arse, it's slower than a week in the jail

Diesel engines last longer dont they?

I had a Golf with a 2 Litre SDI engine. Slow as hell, but virtually indestructible.

Supposedly if you maintain a petrol engine properly you should get 200k no problem, your meant to get double out of a Diesel engine.

Don't know how true that is though.

Archived