I have no idea what my mpg is but I can fill my tank for around £30 and that's got me to Bristol and I've managed Newcastle and back for that. For normal, every day stuff, I get about 240 miles from a tank. I don't know how much fuel the tank holds though :lol:

I don't really do any motorway driving on a normal basis so I don't think diesel would benefit me in any way.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put £30 in my 1.4 TSI ACT Polo GT on Saturday for going to Dunfermline on Saturday and it gave me 320 miles when I left the station. When I arrived on Halbeath Road it read 310 miles. It's a great engine, my best was 67mpg on a motorway run from Southampton, and it delivers 150PS from its little 1.4ness.

I wonder if the road tax for diesels is going to go up though in light of recent events?

Petrol still better for town / city driving if you want to avoid getting blocked up DPF filters, limp home mode as a result etc.

My last 2 cars have been diesel and I've never had this problem. I don't drive long distances, maybe 15 minute journeys through the town to my work. Service your car when your supposed to and you can avoid a lot of the supposed issues with diesels. Really, a couple of filters is hardly breaking the bank and when you weigh that up against paying virtually no road tax and cheaper fuel then I can't really understand why people would buy petrols.

Costs me about £55 to fill up my tank and I've seen me go 3 weeks without having to fill up again. It's magic.

I've just got a 14 plate 1.6l diesel Honda Civic and compared to my 1.6l petrol Ford Focus, the Civic gives me almost double the mileage for a full tank & costs less to fill up so I'm quite happy with my new-ish diesel.

Aye, the fuel economy of Civics is excellent. My 2.2l diesel Civic does about 65 mpg for motorway driving, more like 50 for town driving, but since I do most of my driving on the motorway it averages out pretty well. Currently costs me 7.5p per mile for fuel.

My last 2 cars have been diesel and I've never had this problem. I don't drive long distances, maybe 15 minute journeys through the town to my work. Service your car when your supposed to and you can avoid a lot of the supposed issues with diesels. Really, a couple of filters is hardly breaking the bank and when you weigh that up against paying virtually no road tax and cheaper fuel then I can't really understand why people would buy petrols.

Costs me about £55 to fill up my tank and I've seen me go 3 weeks without having to fill up again. It's magic.

My Mazda 6 DPF was pretty fucked by 70k miles. Had it cleared out a couple of times but eventually by 85k it was obviously not repairable. It's not just a filter that hardly breaks the bank, it costs a fuckin fortune to get a new one put in and it's now illegal to just remove them so the car would fail am MOT.

I've now got a 2013 Mazda 3 and I'm hoping the problem won't repeat. When you're talking about anywhere between £1k and £2k to replace a part on a car with 85k miles on the clock that's probably money better invested in a new car. But it does f**k up the notion that diesels will run forever.

I'm not sure I'll be buying another one - I nearly bought an older petrol Lexus when I got the new Mazda but my wife wanted the newer car.

I get an average of 49MPG driving from Falkirk to Glasgow each week in my 2.4D Volvo S60. My wife drives a 1.0l petrol Hyundai i10 and averages 44MPG. Both cars going 75MPH for the majority of the journey with 50MPH through Glasgow.

Now tell me that Petrol is better than Diesel??[/quote

Have you not seen women driving cars?

You can your DPF cut open and emptied and your ECU programmed to forget it exists for under £200, if you know where to go.....

Would you not be fecked at MOT time though?

Only if they see its been tampered with, a decent engineer should be able to cut it open then weld it shut without it looking suspicious. Wont affect your emissions that much either.

We've had four or five folk do it and their cars are fine years on

My Mazda 6 DPF was pretty fucked by 70k miles. Had it cleared out a couple of times but eventually by 85k it was obviously not repairable. It's not just a filter that hardly breaks the bank, it costs a fuckin fortune to get a new one put in and it's now illegal to just remove them so the car would fail am MOT.

I've now got a 2013 Mazda 3 and I'm hoping the problem won't repeat. When you're talking about anywhere between £1k and £2k to replace a part on a car with 85k miles on the clock that's probably money better invested in a new car. But it does f**k up the notion that diesels will run forever.

I'm not sure I'll be buying another one - I nearly bought an older petrol Lexus when I got the new Mazda but my wife wanted the newer car.

Yeah, having bought this Seat Leon with 3K miles on the clock I don't plan on having the car by the time it gets to 75K. I only do between 10-15K miles a year so hopefully a few more years with this one then I'll trade it in and let some other poor fucker fork out for the repairs.

The DPF warning light came on a few times in my diesel Leon but only when it was in 'ECO'. Now I just leave it in 'Sport' and it seems much happier. Quite like the lazy nature of a quick diesel - you can waft about and it's very quiet. I've got a nippy petrol one too which is more fun on a cross-country blast.

You had any problems with your turbo blowing in your engine? I bought a second hand Peugor Partner 1.6HDI that wasn't looked after as well as it should have been and forked out £1200 for a new turbo because the oil and filters hadn't been changed regularly enough.

Fortunately not! It was almost new when I bought it and have kept it serviced so hopefully it won't suffer the same fate...

Fortunately not! It was almost new when I bought it and have kept it serviced so hopefully it won't suffer the same fate...

Keep on top of it would recommend getting them changed every 8000 miles or annually whatever comes first. Seems to be a common problem with that type of engine. Engine's nice to drive though.

Always had diesels in Scotland, being rural/remote I liked the extra MPG and the reliability.

Over here diesel isn't really a common choice for cars, diesel pumps seem to be set up for trucks rather than cars. My 2010 Chrysler 300 gets only about 25MPG, but at $2.50 per gallon it's not breaking the bank.

• 2 months later...

I managed to exceed the highest rated one by 0.4 mpg in my Discovery Sport - 62.8mpg. I was stuck in really slow moving traffic though, about 40mph on the A9. Generally I'm running nearer the 40 mark.

I genuinely don't understand why most people drive diesels. A couple I know bought one to "save money". They hadn't calculated it out, but were sure they'd save because they were doing "massive mileage". I asked them how much they were doing, "last year we managed almost 7,000 miles" they said. I laughed. That same year I'd done 52,000.

I drive a diesel Disco Sport because I need something that's good for long distance journey's, can off-road (I need to do this very often) and I can get the dog in the back. Plus my work has a free-diesel fill-up facility and not petrol - I do have to pay the BIK on it though.

Red diesel you lucky sod?!!

When I lived in Renfrew and worked in Glasgow I had 2 Subaru Impreza turbos...one after the other not at the same time...

When I moved to Ayr it was a 70 mile daily commute and I reluctantly had to go Audi diesel as I was doing 20K per year and got about 50 MPG which was better on the wallet but was a fucking bore.

Thankfully that 8 years of utter boredom has now passed and i'm back with Subaru STi getting 27 MPG but its so much more fun.

For some reason many drivers seem to go for diesel cars without thinking that they only save money if they do big miles every year.

I can feel a new driving thread coming on....unless there is an old one ive missed.

Archived