November Friendlies

Gordopolis

I'd actually favour us not having any until the new year. Strachan knows all he needs to about the squad and won't learn anything new. I think it would be best to leave it alone just now then 'come back fresh' as it were

Fair enough re the current squad/first picks, but doesn't the November international slot present the perfect opportunity to field the second XI plus a few of the prospects. E.g. Griffiths, Rhodes, Armstrong, Mackay Steven, maybe Gauld and Christie too? Palmer or Cooper to test them out for the much talked about paucity of defensive cover?

We learn pump all from letting international dates pass us by.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye but Strachan hasn't done that in friendlies so far, so why would he start now?

He hasn't, agreed. But surely he's perceptive enough to see that there's an appetite to see evidence of hope for the future and a certain level of frustration that we didn't use certain players in the euro campaign.

It'd be a bit too cosy for him to scuttle off with his new contract and do feck all till March IMO.

The TA elite received an email and then the tickets were through the door within 48 hours

:lol:

I think Denmark away has been pencilled in before the first qualifier for about 8 campaigns now!

Right, Strachan's definitely staying - fingers out and get a couple of games lined up for November.

Regan has said there are no plans for any friendlies in November. Shambles.

Looking at the teams in the wc qualifiers. Slovenia Slovakia and Lithuania to an extent are all the type of teams we can't or struggle to beat.

We should be using friendlies to play similar teams to try out formations and tactics. Georgia and Serbia are 2 recent examples of us falling flat on our faces against sides like these. If you go back far enough there's Slovenia at home and Macedonia away and belarus.

We will gain nothing from getting a closely fought defeat against a top team or pumping some diddies.

Looking at the teams in the wc qualifiers. Slovenia Slovakia and Lithuania to an extent are all the type of teams we can't or struggle to beat.

We should be using friendlies to play similar teams to try out formations and tactics. Georgia and Serbia are 2 recent examples of us falling flat on our faces against sides like these. If you go back far enough there's Slovenia at home and Macedonia away and belarus.

We will gain nothing from getting a closely fought defeat against a top team or pumping some diddies.

Fair point. So let's use these dates to play against a couple of sides that fit that profile. Can't stand it when we casually pass up the chance to play games.

People keep looking around for reasons why we don't qualify, why we have gone longer than any other nation without qualifying, why our seeding pots had become so poor, etc. etc.

Maybe some of the reasons are simpler and closer to home than we imagine.

Why do we sit-out more friendly dates than virtually anyone else? How many other international teams will not play at all next month, going over 5 months between games?

Are they all wrong and we are right; and if not, what is so special about us that makes not playing apparently better than playing?

People keep looking around for reasons why we don't qualify, why we have gone longer than any other nation without qualifying, why our seeding pots had become so poor, etc. etc.

Maybe some of the reasons are simpler and closer to home than we imagine.

Why do we sit-out more friendly dates than virtually anyone else? How many other international teams will not play at all next month, going over 5 months between games?

Are they all wrong and we are right; and if not, what is so special about us that makes not playing apparently better than playing?

This is interesting.

Is there evidence of us playing fewer games than most other countries, leaving aside the fact that we take alternate summers off?

Certainly a few of years ago in a thread like this we were among the poorest in a sample. Since the departure of Berti Vogts we've sat-out these totals:

2005 - 3 (Feb, Mar x1, Nov x1)

2006 - 2 (Aug, Nov)

2007 - 2 (Feb, Nov x1)

2008 - 3 (Feb, Jun x1, Oct x1)

2009 - 5 (Feb, Jun x2, Oct x1, Nov x1)

2010 - 2 (Jun x2)

2011 - 2 (Mar x1, Nov x1)

2012 - 1 (Jun x1)

2013 - 2 (Jun x1, Oct x1)

2014 - 2 (Jun x1, Sep x1)

2015 - 2 (Nov x2)

Total = 26

or 2.5 per year

It has been going on for years...

Back in 2010 Levein wanted nothing - or maybe a B international - in the November friendly slot; then they cottoned-on our seeding for WC2014 qualifiers to be drawn the following summer was in peril. It was so last minute we could only find the Faroe Islands - played at Pittodrie, IIRC.

Certainly a few of years ago in a thread like this we were among the poorest in a sample. Since the departure of Berti Vogts we've sat-out these totals:

2006 - 2 (Aug, Nov)

2007 - 2 (Feb, Nov x1)

2010 - 2 (Jun x2)

2012 - 1 (Jun x1)

2015 - 2 (Nov x2)

Total = 26

or 2.5 per year

Back in 2010 Levein wanted nothing - or maybe a B international - in the November friendly slot; then they cottoned-on our seeding for WC2014 qualifiers to be drawn the following summer was in peril. It was so last minute we could only find the Faroe Islands - played at Pittodrie, IIRC.

Thanks for the stats.

What year was it that friendlies started affecting rankings? It was within the last 5 years or so wasn't it?

If the SFA came out and announced why they weren't taking a game, I wouldn't mind so much; it's the way we just drift past these dates with nothing said that makes me think there's a total lack of foresight and will to improve.

2006 - 2 (Aug, Nov)

2007 - 2 (Feb, Nov x1)

2010 - 2 (Jun x2)

2012 - 1 (Jun x1)

2015 - 2 (Nov x2)

Total = 26

or 2.5 per year

Genuine question (to which you may or may not know the answer): Do other comparable countries tend to make sure they've got games during all these available dates?

Thanks for the stats.

What year was it that friendlies started affecting rankings? It was within the last 5 years or so wasn't it?

FIFA World Ranking was used to seed European WC qualifiers starting with the 2010 tournament, and according to Wikipedia this was decided in Sep 2007 and used for the qualifiers draw on Nov 2007... So since that decision was taken we've sat-out 20 dates over a period of 8 years, which is exactly 2.5 per year.

In the past "training camps, meet-ups and get togethers" have sometimes happened - but given this squad is well-established that seems less than sufficient, IMO.

Genuine question (to which you may or may not know the answer): Do other comparable countries tend to make sure they've got games during all these available dates?

That has always been my impression - but obviously I haven't got comprehensive figures to back-it-up since whenever this was last discussed on here (which I can't find anyway)...

However, as a rough guide we've played 90 games since 2005, whereas other countries (excluding finals tournaments) total:

England - 109

Estonia - 134

Faroe Islands - 72

France - 119

Eire - 112

Macedonia - 101

Moldova - 100

Portugal - 110

Romania - 105

Serbia - 108

Slovakia - 108

Sweden - 130

Turkey - 120

Wales - 94

FIFA World Ranking was used to seed European WC qualifiers starting with the 2010 tournament, and according to Wikipedia this was decided in Sep 2007 and used for the qualifiers draw on Nov 2007... So since that decision was taken we've sat-out 20 dates over a period of 8 years, which is exactly 2.5 per year.

In the past "training camps, meet-ups and get togethers" have sometimes happened - but given this squad is well-established that seems less than sufficient, IMO.

Yeah, the only valid reasons I could accept are:

a) training camp/get-together to build squad without pressure of a game

b) rankings would suffer against any of the available opponents

c) we're in a state of interregnum - would be too chaotic to play a game

Tbh, with reason b, I'd be tempted to play anyway - I suppose it's a question of balancing risks.

These all appear to be very handy excuses to just not bother having a match or two, tbh. The notion.of players 'coming back fresh' next year (won't they be playing for clubs til May??) and my personal favourite, the 'pressure of a game'. Some of this lot really dont help things, suggesting playing is some sort of 'favour'. 'Tired after a long campaign' is another absolute oxymoron....ten games over 13 months. How fucking brutal, the indignity etc...

That has always been my impression - but obviously I haven't got comprehensive figures to back-it-up since whenever this was last discussed on here (which I can't find anyway)...

However, as a rough guide we've played 90 games since 2005, whereas other countries (excluding finals tournaments) total:

England - 109

Estonia - 134

Faroe Islands - 72

France - 119

Eire - 112

Macedonia - 101

Moldova - 100

Portugal - 110

Romania - 105

Serbia - 108

Slovakia - 108

Sweden - 130

Turkey - 120

Wales - 94

Thanks for the answer. How do you know/find this stuff?

Anyway, it does point to the fact that frequently, we're choosing not to play games at times when others are deciding that it's better if they do.

It would be interesting to learn whether there's a rationale for this; or whether it's just kind of worked out that way.

It's obviously a leap to say that such a pattern has actively hindered us.

It's a much smaller one however, to suggest it's not done us any good.

I didn't finish the early part of the alphabet last night:

Armenia - 74

Azerbaijan - 113

Belgium - 102

Bosnia-Herzegovina - 100

Croatia - 108

Czech Republic - 106

Denmark - 107

So across a sample of 20-odd countries we've played notably the fewest total games over the last decade, except for the Faroes and Armenia :unsure2:.

Had we played all available dates - but still not bothered with out-of-window/extra post-season internationals - we'd be totalling 116.

I cannot believe that playing notably fewer games makes no difference, or helps.

Archived