November Friendlies

Gordopolis

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know what I would be happy with a couple of b games against the likes of northern Ireland and Wales as at least we might unearth either a player to take the step up or a new formation. Bit to let it pass when we have such a tight group in the qualifiers to face is sheer folly

Problem is I don't think anyone plays B internationals any more. Only such game since 2008 was our friendly v Northern Ireland B at Clyde in 2009.

There was a Futures Cup started during Berti Vogts/Rainher Bonhof's reign but it stopped the best part of 10yrs ago.

There is a new tournament for teams of that sort and others (e.g. England C) called the International Challenge Trophy, but SFA has never entered it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Challenge_Trophy

Quite a few countries use that tournament for U23 teams - there being no UEFA competition above U21s - or players from domestic league only. In the most recent tournament the entrants were:

* Czech Republic U21s, presumably as they'd no qualifiers - qualifying automatically for U21s Euro 2015 as hosts - and wanted competitive games

* England C (Conference XI)

* Estonia U23s

* Italy Lega Pro U21s (tier 3)

* Norway U23s

* Slovakia U23s

* Turkey A2 (domestic reserve league XI)

* Ukraine U23s

However most of those opponents would almost certainly not be high enough quality for a full-blown 'Scotland B' team, it would probably be more like the level of an SPFL U23 team.

Previous entrants included a variety of U23 teams, Belgium U21s, and Wales Semi-Pro (actually anyone outside EPL & EFL). Incidentally, we used to have a Semi-Pro team in the Four Nations Tournament, but SFA abolished it (which lead to the tournament's demise).

So we play 2 less games a year than the likes of Ireland and england, don't know if that would make a difference. But I felt that we couldve done with a warm up before Georgia game. Had no games for 3/4 months then suddenly we're supposed to be ready.

Everyone in Europe played on the same weekend (12/13/14 June) as the 'forever disadvantaged' Scotland team. Which is less than 3 months as it happens.

Everyone in Europe played on the same weekend (12/13/14 June) as the 'forever disadvantaged' Scotland team. Which is less than 3 months as it happens.

That's because it was an official qualification date though. The point is that 'free' dates are all too often ignored by Scotland. Not claiming that friendlies will make us better, but doing nothing certainly isn't going to improve us or help us devise tweaks to our system or give fringe players a decent shot at claiming a more prominent role.

Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but Strachan confirmed there would be no friendly in November due to seeing "no benefit or boost to morale" after such a crushing defeat. Total cop-out. We should be playing whenever we have an opportunity to against well-picked opponents. If he'd come out and said "I wanted to, we tried, but there weren't suitable teams available" fair enough, but to outright refuse to schedule any is a poor show. Knowing us we'll come around to the World Cup Qualifying again tentatively close to pot 2. And then it'll turn out that a friendly win against the Faroes or some shite would've seen us through.

The Dutch appear to be learning from their 2014 World Cup seeding balls-up - why aren't we?

Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but Strachan confirmed there would be no friendly in November due to seeing "no benefit or boost to morale" after such a crushing defeat. Total cop-out. We should be playing whenever we have an opportunity to against well-picked opponents. If he'd come out and said "I wanted to, we tried, but there weren't suitable teams available" fair enough, but to outright refuse to schedule any is a poor show. Knowing us we'll come around to the World Cup Qualifying again tentatively close to pot 2. And then it'll turn out that a friendly win against the Faroes or some shite would've seen us through.

The Dutch appear to be learning from their 2014 World Cup seeding balls-up - why aren't we?

No wonder he decided to keep his job, when bafflingly invited to decide for himself.

I'd like 6 months off work too.

Has Strachan actually said anything? All I saw was a wee bit in the paper saying something like: 'our mole at the SFA informs us Strachan isn't going to take a November game'

If that's all we're getting, that's utter pish. Come on WGS, come out and tell us what's happening before you saunter off for your 6 month jolly!

No wonder he decided to keep his job, when bafflingly invited to decide for himself. I'd like 6 months off work too.

Has Strachan actually said anything? All I saw was a wee bit in the paper saying something like: 'our mole at the SFA informs us Strachan isn't going to take a November game'

If that's all we're getting, that's utter pish. Come on WGS, come out and tell us what's happening before you saunter off for your 6 month jolly!

I'm sure I saw him quoted as saying it, but I could be wrong. Of course, that doesn't mean that it's necessarily his decision. Could be the SFA digging their heels at the thought of doing any work.

If that's true then Strachan should f**k off, the fact he was allowed to take time to decide if he wanted to continue was bad enough

He's the manager it's his job to build up and maintain morale

The seedings won't get any better if we keep finishing 4th in qualification groups, this whole pish about friendlys being a waste of time is spouted by club managers who don't want to risk their precious players, fact many club managers wish there were no internationals at all.

We should look at getting 2 or 3 away games against teams like Georgia, Macedonia Albania Latvia etc etc in which our full strongest 11 play in as those are the games we can't buy a win in , then get another couple home games against any opposition for young players to play in, these are not a waste of time they are needed to get the team and the squad organised

Guest DAVIDB69

England playing friendlies against Spain, France, Germany, Holland over the months before the euros.

Not saying we should play these teams in friendlies but the fact we don't qualify for tournaments and play very limited friendlies means we get few opportunities to try things out.,

Is it possible we might only play on game in March before the wc qualifiers start which is shocking.

This in turn will mean usual players in their usual places next September

Playing 1 game in 11 months?

That would be extraordinary.

There was some noise in today's papers about Rangers cancelling their game in November if they are hit with international call-ups. It didn't shed any light on whether Scotland might or might not be part of that international break - in fact the way it was worded suggests they are as in the dark as the rest of us.

There was some noise in today's papers about Rangers cancelling their game in November if they are hit with international call-ups. It didn't shed any light on whether Scotland might or might not be part of that international break - in fact the way it was worded suggests they are as in the dark as the rest of us.

Strachan has confirmed to members of the press there will be no November Scotland games

If there is no friendly in March, that will put him on the back foot with the supporters before the campaign even kicks off. Why not get a friendly set up and look at players who haven't been given the chance. Getting a horrible feeling it is going to be a very familiar set up.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/u-21-call-ups-set-to-force-hibs-match-postponement-1-3935101

"With the senior squad without a friendly match this month, Scotland boss Gordon Strachan will form part of the Under-21s backroom team.
Strachan watched on from the stands as Scotland drew 0-0 with Iceland at Pittodrie last month and will spend next week familiarising himself with the young players hoping to be part of next year’s FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign."
Still think we should have been playing a full game or two this month, but the above is quite encouraging.

It's a decent idea and will presumably be a boost to the U21 players morale as well as giving him an opportunity to see them at close quarters... By the same token the U21s only have 1 game, and it's the Friday night - so even if he wanted to spend the build-up with them, but also not spend time away from the senior team, there would have been nothing stopping us taking a friendly on say the Sunday, Monday or Tuesday?

Archived