Coldest Atlantic in 80 years....

FlyerTon

That's the thing about Britain, they've literally no coping mechanism for the slightest bit of snow. I landed into Toronto international a couple of hours after a severe snowstorm, and the entire transport network within the city was operating as normal.

This is probably because Canada's climate is typically much colder in the winter months, making heavy snowfall more common than in Britain, leading to both better procedures and methods of coping for it from a logistical standpoint as well as an individual one.

we haven't played on boxing day for years! The game will be moved to allow the players to have 'time off' which is nonsense!

First Clach home game on Boxing Day for years, against Brora. Was already looking forward to taking my nephew to it.. :(

This is probably because Canada's climate is typically much colder in the winter months, making heavy snowfall more common than in Britain, leading to both better procedures and methods of coping for it from a logistical standpoint as well as an individual one.

Pretty much this. However, with a super-busy international airport such as Heathrow, they really should have the capability to deal with it as the Canadians do. Although there's notable expense in gearing up for something which 'may' happen, numerous connections and the associated trips become ruined all too often. I fear that it's a case of compensation costing less than emergency winter maintenance? Dundee airport can get let off the hook though.

So.

2/1.

Ie a one in three chance.

Add in the bookies margin, and you're looking closer to a one in four chance.

For the record I think it will be a cunting cold winter, but even I, have never punted on that one snowflake falling on a roof somewhere.

If it could snow from the beginning of December and be heavy enough that all modes of transport are closed off for the entire month but light enough for me to still be able to walk to the pub, that would be excellent.

How is the beer getting to the pub :(

That's the thing about Britain, they've literally no coping mechanism for the slightest bit of snow. I landed into Toronto international a couple of hours after a severe snowstorm, and the entire transport network within the city was operating as normal.

f**k that being prepared stuff, absolutely no fun in that.

I remember with fondness that mental snowstorm a few Decembers ago. Just a few hours of crazy snowfall and the M77 was unnavigable. Lorries and vans abandoned at angles on the motorway, people walking halfway across Glasgow to get home from work.

Fun times.

A repeat of that would be nice.

How is the beer getting to the pub :(

I take back what I said about being prepared, pubs should be prepared, everyone else shouldn't.

we haven't played on boxing day for years! The game will be moved to allow the players to have 'time off' which is nonsense!

I think it's 20 years since we last played a Boxing Day fixture at Stark's Park.

Pretty much this. However, with a super-busy international airport such as Heathrow, they really should have the capability to deal with it as the Canadians do. Although there's notable expense in gearing up for something which 'may' happen, numerous connections and the associated trips become ruined all too often. I fear that it's a case of compensation costing less than emergency winter maintenance? Dundee airport can get let off the hook though.

cant realy justify all that money, after dec 2010 everyone went mental about how we should invest and all that , would have been pretty pointless having all those snow ploughs just to have them sit in the garage over the last 4 winters

Thank f**k for the Gulf Stream. I think we're on the same latitude as Churchill, Manitoba.

Polar-Bears-Tundra-Lodge-2-bears.jpg

Archived