Back To The Future

Definitely the Scottish cup win in 1998. I was at the parade the next day but being only 4 I can't say I have too much recollection of the occasion or a sense of what had happened.

Either that or 5-1 just to live that day all over again.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having barely made it to any Scotland games ever, there would be plenty of those - 67 being top of the list, and both wins v France in Euro 2008 qualifying right up there.

As for County games:

5-1 at the dump. It was meant to happen around New Year, and I had been home especially for it, then it was frozen off. I then happened to be home again (I think it was February?) without even realising when it had been rescheduled for, and agonisingly was on a plane back down South from that visit as the game kicked off. The wonderfully named Tasos Venetis scored, as I recall.

And then the only two games from our 2010 Scottish Cup run that I missed - 9-0 v Stirling Albion, and the final. Despite the performance and result, gutted I could only watch on from 2,000 miles away.

It's Back To The Future day today, folks.

So say you could travel through time like Marty McFly, what one game from Scottish football history would you take in?

I'm torn between our 1965 league winning match at Tynecastle, and the Eintracht Frankfurt game. Although I'm swinging towards the latter as it was at Rugby Park and I'd love to experience a match-day back then at the old ground.

That`s tremendous footage of what must have been an epic night.

Thanks for posting it. I remember Ronnie hamilton playing for us later in his career.

Tempted to back to our 4-3 cup semi win v Aberdeen but I`d go back to when we beat Ayr United 5-4 in an epic cup tie in 1976.

We`d drawn the first game at Somerset 2-2 having been 2-0 down with Allan Ball saving a pen at 2-2 despite being injured (broken leg i think).

The replay was a thrilling cup-tie under the light at Palmerston. Great memories.

The goal cellies... #scenes

was at Blackburn and Stuttgart as well as the UEFA Cup final itself but couldnt get a ticket at all for this one.

Also a game at Tynecastle about ten years ago where a stray shot hit my mate on the arm just as he was taking a sip of his coffee sending the scalding liquid all over his face :lol:

As Pie of the Month said, it'd be back to the first game for me (Clackmannan County in 1878), but for a different reason. Football must have been a very different animal to watch back then, what with everyone smoking pipes and stopping for a quick chat about the Empire while the game carried on around them. I'd love to see Alloa back in those days too.

"There'd be no difference"...har har, very funny. It's not Elgin, you know.

Nae shaggin', of course, as if there's one thing BTTF taught us, it's that lassies in the past who want the boaby are likely to be relations :shutup

The goal cellies... #scenes

was at Blackburn and Stuttgart as well as the UEFA Cup final itself but couldnt get a ticket at all for this one.

Also a game at Tynecastle about ten years ago where a stray shot hit my mate on the arm just as he was taking a sip of his coffee sending the scalding liquid all over his face :lol:

Jeez, that Celtic team was probably one of the top 10 teams in Europe at the time. Probably tight to be top 50 now :(

Not Scottish, but Linfield 2 Manchester City 1 on 30th September 1970, meaning we lost 2-2 on aggregate thanks to the away goals rule, but an IL side beating a full-time top English side in front of a packed Windsor Park must have been a night and a half?

Mmmm, I'm going to forgo the Scottish cup final, and for club I'm going to go with the semi final v Aberdeen at Ibrox. I'd like to experience it without the hangover I spent the whole day suffering from.

National side, Argentina 74, Scotland 3 Holland 2, or the 3-2 game in 67.

Archived