gay footballers

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I couldn't care less if footballers came out or not. Seriously, it's no business of mine. If they're going to do that, let's find out who has the biggest gay following? Again I don't fucking care.

^^
Has spent the last half an hour Googling "which footballers are gay"?

I always suspected Jim Jefferies had an eye for the boys. Every close season he'd sign a bunch of pretty boys with floppy hair, perfect teeth and hard abs (but limited football ability). He'd take them to the sand dunes at Gullane and make them run up and down them all day with their shirts off as he looked on gurning. He even discovered His Holiness Faissal El Bak cavorting on the beach in St Tropez and trafficked him to Fife. Yes, he taught him to play football but who knows what horrors young Faissal witnessed in the years before he appeared in the Dunfermline first team?

I seen Gareth Thomas in the media this week slaughtering football for being in the dark ages about this issue.

The media just love trying to pressurise a leading footballer to come out as gay because they think it will be a big seller for them. They don't give a toss about the person or whether or not it will have a postive/negative effect on others.

It is absolutely no business of any newspaper, celebrity, supporter or anyone else in footballs business who any footballer chooses to have sex with as long as they're a consenting adult. This obsession with trying to find a gay footballer does my nut in.

It seems like the ones that are so desperate for it to revealed have a more unhealthy interest in other people's sexualities than these supposed homophobes on the terraces that are holding people back.

Was a common term of abuse (xyz, your a poof) across the board at Scottish football matches in decades past. And the smaller the crowd it would be more noticeable and highly personable especially against away managers who stood almost next to the paying punters at the dugouts. Sometimes forgotten the law regarding homosexuality in Scotland didn't change until 1980, 13 years after England and Wales. Homophobic abuse is now a hate crime plus the public are a lot more chilled regarding social issues. Haven't heard this form of abuse in years at a football match in Scotland.

I seen Gareth Thomas in the media this week slaughtering football for being in the dark ages about this issue.

The media just love trying to pressurise a leading footballer to come out as gay because they think it will be a big seller for them. They don't give a toss about the person or whether or not it will have a postive/negative effect on others.

It is absolutely no business of any newspaper, celebrity, supporter or anyone else in footballs business who any footballer chooses to have sex with as long as they're a consenting adult. This obsession with trying to find a gay footballer does my nut in.

It seems like the ones that are so desperate for it to revealed have a more unhealthy interest in other people's sexualities than these supposed homophobes on the terraces that are holding people back.

I agree with this.

Genuinely is of no concern to me what sexuality a person is, but the media's unhealthy obsession makes me uneasy.

I've no doubt that in Britain, there will be gay footballers, but let them be. It's no one else's business and if they're comfortable then happy days.

Given all the stories we've heard over the years about dressing room 'banter' I'm of the opinion no one has come out due to the reaction in the dressing room than a stadium shouting 'poofter' at them.

It's embarrassing how much the media are desperate for one of them to finally come out, and if it were me the inevitable front page story and constant mentioning of your sexuality would put me off it a hundred times more than the fear of some moron shouting something from the stand. Most supports would get them to shut their puss anyway, and after time it'd probably die down.

Quite frankly I don't blame them for avoiding the circus it would create.

The logic of 'it's no one else's business' is understandable in a way, but it's a bit close to Don't ask, don't tell, and not actually the same as tolerance. As long as that's the norm, there is a significant group of people who aren't living freely and equally.
It's an awkward situation just now, the waiting and speculating, but it will be better for the people affected once it's normalised and old news.
I won't envy the next individual who has to bear the scrutiny and negative attention, but i look forward to the day that it's genuinely not a point of interest or pressure.

Archived