Real life mysteries that freak you out

Antlion

Actually Dumbartonshire was a place. Te borough at that point also contained Cumbernauld for some bizarre reason. Why or when exactly it changed to Dunbartonshire around the turn of the 19th century no one knows!?

Wasn't it that they wanted, inexplicably, to revert to the older version of the spelling, but couldn't change the name of the town to match because it was long since established, so they just switched the name of the county only?

Also, why does East Dunbartonshire share a sheriff court with West Dunbartonshire? If you get lifted in Kirkintilloch or Bishopbriggs, surely your local court should be in Glasgow and not Dumbarton town centre?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't it that they wanted, inexplicably, to revert to the older version of the spelling, but couldn't change the name of the town to match because it was long since established, so they just switched the name of the county only?

Also, why does East Dunbartonshire share a sheriff court with West Dunbartonshire? If you get lifted in Kirkintilloch or Bishopbriggs, surely your local court should be in Glasgow and not Dumbarton town centre?

The first punters in Cumbernauld freaked at that very scenario.

Needless to say a few ended up in Barlinnie because they'd no idea how to get to court.

Another West Dunbartonshire one:

Why do the villages of Old Kilpatrick and Bowling have G60 postcodes when the towns of Clydebank to their immediate east and Dumbarton to their immediate west are G81 and G82 respectively, leading to G83 after Dumbarton? Why are they a weird postcode?

Actually Dumbartonshire was a place. Te borough at that point also contained Cumbernauld for some bizarre reason. Why or when exactly it changed to Dunbartonshire around the turn of the 19th century no one knows!?

I stand corrected, there was indeed a Dumbartonshire County Council in the late 1800s but it's been called Dunbartonshire before and after that. Must've been wrong 'uns.

I stand corrected, there was indeed a Dumbartonshire County Council in the late 1800s but it's been called Dunbartonshire before and after that. Must've been wrong 'uns.

You're about the biggest (and, conversely, the smallest) wrong 'un I know, fella.

This is truly ridiculous - discussing the paranormal, ouijja boards and the complexities of Dumbarton in one thread.

Ouija boards aren't even remotely "supernatural". It's a trademarked board game owned by Parker Brothers.

That's not true, you know the auld son.

How is the aul' fella getting on? He's deleted me off Facebook.

Still ranting incoherently. I think he actually deleted me for a few weeks too, he was getting quite stressed out. Looks like he only has family on Facebook now.

I had guessed he had deleted all but the closest for obvious reasons. When you next speak to him give him my best.

Another West Dunbartonshire one:

Why do the villages of Old Kilpatrick and Bowling have G60 postcodes

Here's another: Where did (New) Kilpatrick go? Is there a buried village somewhere? Does Scotland have it's own Atlantis beneath the Clyde? :unsure2:

Eta: I see there's a Kilpatrick train station right next door to the 'Old Kilpatrick Bowling Club' in Old Kilpatrick, along the road from Bowling outside of Dumbarton, West Dunbartonshire. That place is seriously f***** up.

Archived