Real life mysteries that freak you out

Antlion

There are hundreds of these out there the hardest thing is working out what are real and what are fake. It is the internet after all

There are countless you tube videos about them and if you are bored of a night, turn the lights out and start watching. Some of the commentator's voices can be annoying though

Dy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riQNUN-fxII

Dyatlov Pass is one that particularly scares the bejazzus out of me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

And there is also Cicada 3301

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada_3301

Dyatlov is pretty uniteresting a bunch of campers freak out in the night burst out their tent and die of Hypothermia...did they think an avalanche was about to hit them or hear an animal outside?

http://www.aquiziam.com/conspiracies/dyatlov-pass-answers/

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It never creeped me but my daughter had a few pals over for a sleepover and they wanted a bedtime story. I told them about Spring Heeled Jack http://www.thecobrasnose.com/xxghost/shj.htmland tweaked it slightly to make him a frequent visitor to Edinburgh. I think they are all still getting counselling.

The Count Of St Germain

Count-of-St-Germain.jpg

The mysterious Count of St Germain traveled Europe in the 18th century, hob-knobbing with royalty, conducting diplomacy, fomenting revolutions–shaping Europe to his, or someone’s, liking. It’s even rumored that he had a hand in the American Revolution. And along the way, he never aged a day. And after his death in 1784, he kept showing up….

I quite like this one.

You didn't miss much. You'll see stranger behaviour in any town centre on a Friday night.

They're either wrong, or she went in and drowned before someone noticed it was open and closed it without realising she was in there. Or killed her for her annoying Bjork impressions and stuffed her in the tank. Either way, not terribly exciting.

I saw something about the myths behind 'cursed' hotels once, which made the point that there are an abnormally high number of suicides at all hotels, but especially the glamorous ones. They had a variety of reasons for this, the main one being that people are more likely to be in the middle of a life-changing event when staying at a hotel (divorce, relocation, death in family, house burning down, etc), and sometimes don't want to be discovered by family/friends, or make a mess in the home of people they care about. The glamorous ones sometimes have an even higher incidence because people want to check out with a bang, so to speak, like the jumpers who go to places like the Golden Gate Bridge rather than jumping from a few flights up at the local multi-storey car park.

As far as murder goes, apparently hotels are absolute hotbeds of crime; there are criminals who target them specifically because security is lax, people are more likely to mind their own business than in a residential neighbourhood, and everyone is used to seeing unfamiliar faces constantly entering and leaving. There are also several ways to enter and exit every floor, making escape simple. I'm sure serial killers are well aware of this, and it's easy for burglars to panic if caught unawares.

In short, it's not aliens or ghosts! :P

I was just making the point that it adds to the conspiracy theories that this unexplained incident happened at a hotel that is linked with other famous events of a gruesome nature, and it's hard to argue that this particular hotel has more than it's fair share of infamous happenings.

It will be the same with every single one of the examples on this thread. Until something can be conclusively proved or disproved things like this will remain creepy as f**k.

I was just making the point that it adds to the conspiracy theories that this unexplained incident happened at a hotel that is linked with other famous events of a gruesome nature, and it's hard to argue that this particular hotel has more than it's fair share of infamous happenings.

It will be the same with every single one of the examples on this thread. Until something can be conclusively proved or disproved things like this will remain creepy as f**k.

Aye, I'm kinda missing the point of the thread :P

Tbh, the Catman of Greenock freaks me out somewhat.

On the one hand, it sounds / looks like total bollocks. How could someone survive living outside in the condition he's in? And the tales have been floating around for the last few decades defy belief.

Yet on the other hand, the pics and videos seem pretty convincing.

That's fascinating, I'd never heard of Catman before. Anyway I googled him and dragged up this article

The scenic fishing town of Greenock, just 25 miles west of Glasgow, prides itself on its rich maritime history, its spot among Scotland’s top 50 walking trails, and its beautifully restored Victorian buildings. In fact, it’s long been considered one of the most lovely towns in the country.
The scenic fishing town of Greenock, just 25 miles west of Glasgow, prides itself on its rich maritime history, its spot among Scotland’s top 50 walking trails, and its beautifully restored Victorian buildings. In fact, it’s long been considered one of the most lovely towns in the country.
I'd wager the author of that has never visited Greenock.

That's fascinating, I'd never heard of Catman before. Anyway I googled him and dragged up this article

I'd wager the author of that has never visited Greenock.

Either that or they work for the Inverclyde Tourist Group.

Overtoun Bridge is a bit of a weird one.

Then again, I'd probably want to jump off a bridge if I stayed in West Dunbartonshire.

Then again, I'd probably want to jump off a bridge if I stayed in West Dunbartonshire.

It's not really a weird one, I'm fairly certain they've confirmed it as the smell of mink coming from the waterfall at Overtoun House and the dogs just jumped over the wall without realising the 50ft drop at the other side of it. It's the only reasonable explanation in my view. Certainly more believable than a mass telepathic doggy suicide that some nutjobs here would tell you.

West Dunbartonshire is actually a lovely wee place, Dumbarton especially. It's just a shame they filled it with absolute reprobates who care not for it.

Kevin Moy sounds like a right fail merchant.

Dreadfully insane, aye. Thought he and his 2 week old wean were responsible for the Gulf war and that they would kill off mankind by infecting it with a virus (the baby had a birth mark on his face which he was sure was the work of the devil). Told police he was saving the world by killing his baby.

"Drift" clearly killed himself to get away from "Eugene". His parents may have saddled him with a shit name, but that's no excuse for taking it out on others.

Mull is not a large island

Well it's double the size of Arran and the fourth biggest island in Scotland.

So, not large then.

Well you could fit the following 4 islands and 4 cities into the size of The Isle of Mull:

Ordered by size (sq miles)

4.5......Great Cumbrae
5.39....Isle of Gigha
26.......Dundee
29.7....Isle of Coll
30.2....Isle of Tiree
67.8....Glasgow
71.22..Aberdeen
102.....Edinburgh
Total 336.81 sq miles

Isle of Mull: 337.97 sq miles

Archived