The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

9 hours ago, munro76 said:

As an aside, the Armed Forces day at Ibrox raised a whopping 5 grand. Ten bob each the staunch individuals coughed up for their abseiling heroes.

Was there soldiers there again?

I'm sure it cost the tax payer £1k to have them there

ETA: Yes £774 and £20 in petrol.

Edited by 101

I was brought up to understand what the poppy represented. Both my Great grandparents were in the Black watch, I never met them but I knew what they had gone through after being told by my Gran and Grandad.

To me now, the poppy doesn’t represent the lives of those who died in wars, it’s now been weaponised by the right to justify racism and bigotry.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

I was brought up to understand what the poppy represented. Both my Great grandparents were in the Black watch, I never met them but I knew what they had gone through after being told by my Gran and Grandad.

To me now, the poppy doesn’t represent the lives of those who died in wars, it’s now been weaponised by the right to justify racism and bigotry.

Yep, it's become like the flag of St George. Any sort of display involving it gets a wide berth, as there'll inevitably be some sort of hostility involved.

The days of a quiet donation and a discreet poppy on your jacket as acknowledgement (or not, whatever) are long gone.

8 hours ago, mizfit said:

Correct. Over and over again before Remembrance Sunday we were told it was to commemorate the dead of all wars, not just are ladz.

Remembrance returning to just wearing a paper poppy for no more than a week then collectively shutting the f**k up for 2 minutes at 11.00/11/11 would go a long way to making the UK less of a nonsense sort of a place. 

i gave up buying a poppy when it was named the earl haig fund, as I thought he was a mass murderer, sending thousands of young guys over the top to their certain massacre. I remember them in my own personal way, when I found out the veterans charity has 70 million quid stashed away and we have vets living on the streets and with severe mental health problems which need help, so why are they not spending the cash on them.

As stated above, in the past a small donation and a simple poppy on your coat/jacket a few days before Nov 11th seemed to be enough for most. Perhaps those who actually attended Church might also take part in a Remembrance Sunday Service. I’ve no idea how a whole industry has grown from this, with pressure brought to bear on those who either consciously choose not to mark the occasion or may be privately ambivalent about it.
This year’s ‘branded collection’, includes a food and drink section, no end of clothing/apparel choices, multiple jewellery options, home-wear and even a pets accessories selection. This sombre annual event has become so far removed from its origins. Particularly over the last 20 years or so.

6 minutes ago, candalan said:

i gave up buying a poppy when it was named the earl haig fund, as I thought he was a mass murderer, sending thousands of young guys over the top to their certain massacre. I remember them in my own personal way, when I found out the veterans charity has 70 million quid stashed away and we have vets living on the streets and with severe mental health problems which need help, so why are they not spending the cash on them.

Aye, my great uncle was severely injured during WW2 (had a bar of soap in his top pocket that stopped shrapnel going into his chest, the rest went into his legs) and he said he never received a single penny from them. 

My issues with the poppy are not just that they are used so politically but that the poppy charity itself (the British Legion) isn't at all anti-war. The white poppy (for peace) has been around since the 1930's as a result of the BL's refusal to be part of any campaign to end wars and promote peace. I kinda understood that a bit, but lately they've just become shameless about it. The poppy ball a few years ago (big benefit do in London) was held "in association with Lockheed Martin". The same year they released a version of "Green Fields of France(Willie McBride)" sung by Joss Stone, but eliminating all anti-war references from the song. Seething.

Also, if you want to get it up the poppy gammons, not wearing one might do it, but wearing a white one absolutely will.