The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The royal family are c***s to a man woman and child.

Can we get back to giant poppies now?

Dunfermline town center is getting poppied out it’s nut. Every few meters on railings and the true mark of dignified quiet remembrance being a giant rotating projection onto the old fire station.   Mental stuff,  no idea who sanctions this but presume council are involved somewhere.  

I know we are so far past this, but I thought the whole point of poppies were a personal thing.  No idea inanimate objects were so good at remembering.

And there is absolutely no fucking point in this stuff happening in October and not being removed til well after remembrance Sunday.  ITS MEANT TO BE ONE DAY YOU FUCKS.

Edited by parsforlife

I may be well wrong on this, but growing up I was always of the understanding that you wore a poppy for a couple of weeks up to the event, but that continuing to do so much after the 11th/Remembrance Sunday was considered disrespectful. It seems now that if you don't display them all year round you are some sort of traitor?

12 hours ago, gannonball said:

‘Never again’

image.png.65aed28521230f03c8b3aaaca0cf0c25.png

Have the poppy appeal ever said this? I've long assumed that they weren't an anti-war "never again" organisation, rather one that treats war as a sad necessity and all soldiers are heroes.

5 hours ago, velo army said:

Have the poppy appeal ever said this? I've long assumed that they weren't an anti-war "never again" organisation, rather one that treats war as a sad necessity and all soldiers are heroes.

WWI was considered to be the 'War to End Wars.' People were saddened and angered about the millions who'd been sent to the slaughter, to a large extent, for no good reason. The sentiment at the time was that we must never forget those who had given their lives and why, in order that we don't allow it to happen again.

So that worked out well.

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

WWI was considered to be the 'War to End Wars.' People were saddened and angered about the millions who'd been sent to the slaughter, to a large extent, for no good reason. The sentiment at the time was that we must never forget those who had given their lives and why, in order that we don't allow it to happen again.

So that worked out well.

Aye I get that, but the Peace Poppy campaign came about in the early 30's because the Haig Fund refused to join in an anti war message. 

Also, I thought the "war to end all wars" was just a recruitment tool.

3 hours ago, Shotgun said:

So that worked out well.

Doesn't mean to say it wasn't a worthwhile sentiment.

2 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Nemanja Matic explaining why he chooses not to wear one, resulting in plenty of gammony headsgones on the FB page comments. Apparently living in a city being bombed to f**k by NATO isn't an acceptable reason.

Matic poppy pish

I’m pretty sure he’s explained this every year for about 4 years now.

23 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Doesn't mean to say it wasn't a worthwhile sentiment.

It’s a great sentiment. But one which has been trampled by countless politicians with the unquestioned support of the poppy fetishists.  

Has anyone on here bought a poppy this year? The last couple of years, I haven’t bothered, what with all the COVID stuff and lockdowns happening. No doubt there’s a tasteful poppy face mask I could have purchased, but here we are.

I did sponsor the lad on Facebook - Chris Walks the UK - who is walking the coastline of the UK to raise funds for the SSAFA and is at £250k.

https://www.ssafa.org.uk