The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

It does, he'll get the blame but ultimately it was never his decision. A fall guy for the military/establishment lapped up by everybody looking for somebody to blame. Blair was an excellent prime minister let down by forces he couldn't control.

This is obviously for another thread - but it was surely his decision to take the UK into the war?

What do you think of the Black and Tans behaviour in South Ireland back in the day?

Can you correct your apostrophe abuse?

I enjoy a pint of black and tan. Seldom served in pubs these days, sadly.

As for Britain's policy of recruiting ex squaddies and superannuated polis to batter the f**k out of legitimate democrats in Ireland with whom they had a difference of opinion? Utterly execrable and wouldn't have been tolerated on the mainland. The way we handled South Ireland's independence was shameful.

What's your own view?

Incidentally, I'd highly recommend 'Forgotten Voices of the Great War' as some readjng for anyone interested in the subject. It's a collection of diary entries from those who endured the misery of WW1 and touches on the mentality of the British non - fighting population . Women were encouraged to hand white feathers to any man not wearing a uniform and those who didn't go to war were frequently ostracised.

A similar war situation now would probably see herds of Facebook full time mummies sending white feather memes to non combatants.

I remember reading somewhere that even those that the army rejected for either medical issues or physical disabilities were ostracised on a regular basis also.

Can you correct your apostrophe abuse?

I enjoy a pint of black and tan. Seldom served in pubs these days, sadly.

As for Britain's policy of recruiting ex squaddies and superannuated polis to batter the f**k out of legitimate democrats in Ireland with whom they had a difference of opinion? Utterly execrable and wouldn't have been tolerated on the mainland. The way we handled South Ireland's independence was shameful.

What's your own view?

Apostrophe ?

Black and Tans.

No apostrophe.

Apostrophe ?

Black and Tans.

No apostrophe.

You should join Pandy on the naughty step. "What do you think of the Black and Tans behaviour in South Ireland back in the day?" needs an apostrophe.

Anyway, I gave my opinion on both the drink and the paramilitary force. What's your feedback?

I remember reading somewhere that even those that the army rejected for either medical issues or physical disabilities were ostracised on a regular basis also.

Pretty much. There are a few stories like that in there. It's a pretty harrowing read tbh.

Maybe time to give Corbyn a break eh ? he's there tonight at the RAH for the RBL annual festival of remembrance and probably feels really uncomfortable stood there within Her Majesty's audience suited and booted with a Poppy in his button hole? Hope he's f*ckin choking on it!!

WTF is he doing in Paisley?

The 5-16 education of any UK citizen covers next to nothing that would be of any credible use in "curbing the desire to volunteer in war". Not even through a loose interpretation of what people learn from the fields covered. No subject such as, well, even The First World War itself is actually taught in anything more than fleeting detail within a schoolroom. You massively overrate both the retention of school knowledge among adults and the quality of 'pass the exam' explanations in a school for moral guidance.

Maybe it had changed now but standard grade history in 1998 focussed heavily on the first world war including the recruitment campaign, Haig and walking across no man's land at the Somme.

We also did Sassoon, Owen , Brooke ET al in SG english

Maybe it had changed now but standard grade history in 1998 focussed heavily on the first world war including the recruitment campaign, Haig and walking across no man's land at the Somme.

We also did Sassoon, Owen , Brooke ET al in SG english

Same here. When I was at school in the 90s the first world war was covered extensively in History and English, including the horror and futility of it. Think I spent most of third year learning about it.