The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

51 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Bin all the poppies.

Bin all the silences.

Bin all the 'remembrance'.

Whatever meaning it once held is long gone. It's especially laughable when those most vocal about 'remembering' are cheering on Israel and cheered on the UK's involvement in shit like Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as ignoring multiple other conflicts since WW2.

Tell me, what does "Lest we forget" mean? It's a meaningless phrase that loses more meaning every year.

Not only that, and this will be unpopular, but fucking get over it. 

The problem is it does generate much needed cash for veterans who the government can't or certinally don't want to look after. Which for me is the problem, lest we forget but actually let's not remember the systematic issues that mean so many people come back from where the government of the day sends them leaving them with all sorts of mental health issues, homelessness and struggles with employment.

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

The problem is it does generate much needed cash for veterans who the government can't or certinally don't want to look after. Which for me is the problem, lest we forget but actually let's not remember the systematic issues that mean so many people come back from where the government of the day sends them leaving them with all sorts of mental health issues, homelessness and struggles with employment.

Yeah yet more 'forgetting'. Mental health provision is shit for the entire country.

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Don't get the reference

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,

Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,

Silence the pianos and with muffled drum

Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come

Bin all the poppies, bin the silences.

Bin all the remembrance.

Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;

For nothing now can ever come to any good.

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,

Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,

Silence the pianos and with muffled drum

Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come

Bin all the poppies, bin the silences.

Bin all the remembrance.

Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;

For nothing now can ever come to any good.

Close to tears here.

5 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Scotland's number one Darts player showing how much he remembers

Screenshot_20231111_221958_X.jpg

Do all these overtly crass displays and fancy dress remembering goons not realise how stupid and disrespectful they look. Wearing a poppy is fine by me but FFS these clowns are making it all about themselves  or using it as some kind of get it up ye

Does every club have a bugler on standby now? That's another thing that's crept in - first it was a minutes silence, then it was that plus a poppy emblem on the shirts, then it was those and the chairmen would lay poppy wreaths, then it was all of those plus poppies on black armbands, then it was all of the above plus a bugler and some current military man standing to attention while they play the Last Post... I expect that sort of stuff from the staunch clubs but it seems to be something that is seen at more and more grounds these days. 

42 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Does every club have a bugler on standby now? That's another thing that's crept in - first it was a minutes silence, then it was that plus a poppy emblem on the shirts, then it was those and the chairmen would lay poppy wreaths, then it was all of those plus poppies on black armbands, then it was all of the above plus a bugler and some current military man standing to attention while they play the Last Post... I expect that sort of stuff from the staunch clubs but it seems to be something that is seen at more and more grounds these days. 

Just the Liverpool clubs, I'd think. 

Oh no, hang on, bugler, nor burgler. I dunno then. 

6 minutes ago, BMunro said:

Unless the SNP had a network of AD lookalikes to show up to photoshoots with Hitler Youth then yeah, it's pretty conclusive.

The SNP would be doing well to just own up to their Nazi past, but that's hard when you're a cult.

Cool. Now do Westminster's far right thuggery past. From yesterday. 

4 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Do all these overtly crass displays and fancy dress remembering goons not realise how stupid and disrespectful they look. Wearing a poppy is fine by me but FFS these clowns are making it all about themselves  or using it as some kind of get it up ye

Would be far more effective if he ditched the 5 sponsors or gave the cash he makes off them to charity, but like most of the remeberance activity it's very much about making you look good rather than helping veterans.

Today the nuclear veterans will get their medals for their part in the nuclear tests 70 years after they worked on a particularly dangerous operation which shortened the lives of many, various UK governments have acted disgracefully and yet very few of the poppy shaggers would have a clue about their plight or if they do they certinally don't care.