The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

16 hours ago, virginton said:

Buying a daft plastic or metal poppy does absolutely nothing to respect sacrifices made for freedom, when the British armed forces have fought as professionals in foreign countries only for nearly 80 fucking years. Because 99.9% of the people who fought in those conflicts are now dead. 

Sitting around in West Germany or Cyprus, 'defending' the Falkland Islands or acting as America's 51st (vassal) state across five continents for a monthly wage do not actually count as sacrifices for freedom

You’re right, but I didn’t say that anyway.

On 10/11/2023 at 09:31, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

I very much doubt it’s because people are being turned off by OTT displays.  People in general aren’t really bothered by that, although you’d be forgiven for thinking differently given the posts on here.

It's turned me off and most of the people I know man.

80 counter protestors arrested. Police actually protecting the Palestine march, according to BBC, more than 50 according to Sky.  Police actually seem to be doing the right thing so far.

Incidentally, Zelda off of Terrahawks presenting GB News is talking about anything except this. Funnily. 

Edited by coprolite

18 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

FOR I WILL GIVE YOU THE MORNING STAR

'In the sunset of an age and an epoch we may write that for epitaph of the men who were of it. They went quiet and brave from the lands they loved, though seldom of that love might they speak, it was not in them to tell in words of the earth that moved and lived and abided, their life and enduring love. And who knows at the last what memories of it were with them, the springs and the winters of this land and all the sounds and scents of it that had once been theirs, deep, and a passion of their blood and spirit, those four who died in France? With them we may say there died a thing older than themselves, these were the Last of the Peasants, the last of the Old Scots folk. A new generation comes up that will know them not, except as a memory in a song, they pass with the things that seemed good to them, with loves and desires that grow dim and alien in the days to be. It was the old Scotland that perished then, and we may believe that never again will the old speech and the old songs, the old curses and the old benedictions, rise but with alien effort to our lips. The last of the peasants, those four that you knew, took that with them to the darkness and the quietness of the places where they sleep. And the land changes, their parks and their steadings are a desolation where the sheep are pastured, we are told that great machines come soon to till the land, and the great herds come to feed on it, the crofter is gone, the man with the house and the steading of his own and the land closer to his heart than the flesh of his body. Nothing, it has been said, is true but change, nothing abides, and here in Kinraddie where we watch the building of those little prides and those little fortunes on the ruins of the little farms we must give heed that these also do not abide, that a new spirit shall come to the land with the greater herd and the great machines. For greed of place and possession and great estate those four had little heed, the kindness of friends and the warmth of toil and the peace of rest – they asked no more from God or man, and no less would they endure. So, lest we shame them, let us believe that the new oppressions and foolish greeds are no more than mists that pass. They died for a world that is past, these men, but they did not die for this that we seem to inherit. Beyond it and us there shines a greater hope and a newer world, undreamt when these four died. But need we doubt which side the battle they would range themselves did they live today, need we doubt the answer they cry to us even now, the four of them, from the places of the sunset ?'

Lewis Grassic Gibbon - Sunset Song

Christopher Brookmyre hit the nail on the head in one of his books, a guy speaking to his old English teacher, the jist of it being that maybe a book about teuchter farmers raping their children isn't the best to get kids into reading. I love books and loved higher English bitd but f**k me even I struggled with thst book!

11 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Christopher Brookmyre hit the nail on the head in one of his books, a guy speaking to his old English teacher, the jist of it being that maybe a book about teuchter farmers raping their children isn't the best to get kids into reading. I love books and loved higher English bitd but f**k me even I struggled with thst book!

Bit of a digression from the thread theme, but Sunset Song is a masterpiece of Scottish literature. A long time since I read it, but my recollection differs from yours and Brookmyre's. My recollection is Chris (the book's protagonist rather than Brookmyre) listening to her widower father pacing outside her bedroom in his agonies of sexual frustration and temptation. As far as I remember, the father doesn't act on his awful impulse.

Again, as far as I remember, the Great War features significantly as the appalling slaughter of working class men who had no voice in the matter. 

2 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Bit of a digression from the thread theme, but Sunset Song is a masterpiece of Scottish literature. A long time since I read it, but my recollection differs from yours and Brookmyre's. My recollection is Chris (the book's protagonist rather than Brookmyre) listening to her widower father pacing outside her bedroom in his agonies of sexual frustration and temptation. As far as I remember, the father doesn't act on his awful impulse.

Again, as far as I remember, the Great War features significantly as the appalling slaughter of working class men who had no voice in the matter. 

"Yir ma flesh an blood Chrissy, ahl dae wi ye as a please!" Is on of the lines that stuck out to me. Pretty sure it was implied that he did, or he actually did it. A quick Google search says he raped the mother to give her the twins, so I'd imagine he had his way with an even more defenceless member of his family. Can mind auld Che though, sure he was a good c**t.

22 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I remember when the poppy jumped the shark for me. I was sat eating my lunch and I saw a bunch of middle-aged and above people gawping at this: Floating poppies draw attention as Every Man Remembered statue is unveiled at George Square - Glasgow Live

I looked at the statue

image.thumb.png.7ddf3950642733df3b9c393f486cd86b.png

I looked at the people looking at the statue.

I wondered how much the statue cost.

I wondered what that much money could do if it went to actually supporting people who needed it (and this was before I knew it was on tour around the country).

I turned and looked at the actual Cenotaph at the bottom of George Square, which didn't have anyone looking at it, and which Wikipedia tells me has been there since 1924.

I agree with the posts on the previous page from Chris, GHF and Ziggy. "The Poppy" has long since ceased to be the solemn, unspoken symbol of respect I understood it to be when I was growing up. I'd put a decent bet at 90% of the general public/media's poppy wearing being entirely performative, either because they think they have to or because of a sense of moral superiority. This is even before you consider shite like Rangers' Armed Forces Day being imported from America.

I don't want to speak in hypotheticals about something as serious as being in the armed forces, but if I was a young man who got sent to fight in either world war I'd be fucking mortified if I thought people would celebrate it with crass nonsense like this.

I looked at that and thought just try and grab the gold ones.

Bin all the poppies.

Bin all the silences.

Bin all the 'remembrance'.

Whatever meaning it once held is long gone. It's especially laughable when those most vocal about 'remembering' are cheering on Israel and cheered on the UK's involvement in shit like Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as ignoring multiple other conflicts since WW2.

Tell me, what does "Lest we forget" mean? It's a meaningless phrase that loses more meaning every year.

Not only that, and this will be unpopular, but fucking get over it. 

Edited by DA Baracus

38 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Bin all the poppies.

Bin all the silences.

Bin all the 'remembrance'.

Whatever meaning it once held is long gone. It's especially laughable when those most vocal about 'remembering' are cheering on Israel and cheered on the UK's involvement in shit like Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as ignoring multiple other conflicts since WW2.

Tell me, what does "Lest we forget" mean? It's a meaningless phrase that loses more meaning every year.

Not only that, and this will be unpopular, but fucking get over it. 

Great WH Auden tribute m8 👏