The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Aye £14.7K starting salary for a soldier, then £18.3K on full completion of training.
Yep, that's a 'considerable' pay packet, they must be f*ckin living it up on a yacht in the Med for most of the summer!
They're miles under the average U.K. Annual income at present.

They should be on footballers wages imo

We had some embarassing event at Ayr the other week where we let army and veterans in for free.  They were out on the pitch twice (hilariously acompanied by stewards) and they were walking round trying to milk an applause (plenty gave them it) however some banshee was looking around the crowd for folk like me not joining in, screaming at them SHOW SOME RESPEKT.   

Pandering to the Rangers fans.

I am shocked that RangAyr United have taken this approach.

Aye £14.7K starting salary for a soldier, then £18.3K on full completion of training.
Yep, that's a 'considerable' pay packet, they must be f*ckin living it up on a yacht in the Med for most of the summer!

They CHOOSE to do it, I'll assume that is where VirginTon was going.

12 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Their choice to become cannon fodder. 

Unlucky.

Edited by Hammer Jag

If they are stupid enough to fight for that old German monarch then they deserve the stupid pay packet to accompany it. Lol at getting paid less than I made at 15 to play hopscotch with IED'S for a government that hates you

11 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Oh dear.....
Another 'British Club, for British People who support British soldiers', type-response. No doubt based solely on what they've seen/heard from a minority of stupid football supporters.

I'm sure I'm getting this wrong but from what you have written but it appears to me you are suggesting the British nationalism that surrounds rangers is as a result of grassroots movement within the fanbase and is in no way fostered, exploited and monetized by the club itself.

I'm sure that's not your position though and I'm reading it wrong.

Probably above average for unskilled workers.

They also get all food and digs paid for.

It's all getting out of hand.  Tributes to this, tributes to that.  If you don't join in, you're obviously against whatever it is.  For once, I'm with FIFA.  Never thought that I'd ever say that.  

No one was looking to have a poppy on a jersey for the first 95 years after WW1 ended.  Was no one respectful enough in all that time....or did they think that a football top isn't the place for a poppy?  Enough of the grandstanding.

15 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Pandering to the Rangers fans.

I am shocked that RangAyr United have taken this approach.

We did something similar a few seasons back where they received a discounted entry. Not sure if it's still done though. 

22 minutes ago, Romeo said:

They should be on footballers wages imo

Surely it's the nurses and junior doctors that should be on footballers pay :(

we should have a hierarchy of most deserving to allow us to adjust the levels of our outrage IMO.

31 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

That's the figured for unskilled teenagers. They practically catch up with the UK average as soon as they make Lance Corporal (about 3 years). 

Training: £14,783
Soldier Private: £18,305
Lance Corporal: £25,272
UK Average Salary 27,600
Corporal: £29,474
Sergeant: £33,158
Staff Sergeant: £37,324
Warrant Officer Class 2: £40,596
Warrant Officer Class 1: £47,017

Officer's overtake the average civilian as soon as they finish training and it's not as if the the training pay is bad for a new graduate 

Training: £25,272
UK Average Salary 27,600
Officer 2nd Lieutenant: £30,922
Lieutenant: £32,008
Captain: £39,628
Major: £49,917
Lt Colonel: £70,059
Colonel: £84,877
Brigadier: £101,14

These don't take into account subsidised food and accomodations

https://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/Ratesofpay-Regular.pdf
http://www.army.mod.uk/structure/32321.aspx

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Probably above average for unskilled workers.

They also get all food and digs paid for.

Unless they're on exercise they don't.

That's the figured for unskilled teenagers. They practically catch up with the UK average as soon as they make Lance Corporal (about 3 years)

Training: £14,783
Soldier Private: £18,305
Lance Corporal: £25,272
UK Average Salary 27,600
Corporal: £29,474
Sergeant: £33,158
Staff Sergeant: £37,324
Warrant Officer Class 2: £40,596
Warrant Officer Class 1: £47,017

Officer's overtake the average civilian as soon as they finish training and it's not as if the the training pay is bad for a new graduate 

Training: £25,272
UK Average Salary 27,600
Officer 2nd Lieutenant: £30,922
Lieutenant: £32,008
Captain: £39,628
Major: £49,917
Lt Colonel: £70,059
Colonel: £84,877
Brigadier: £101,14

https://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/Ratesofpay-Regular.pdf
http://www.army.mod.uk/structure/32321.aspx

I'd imagine the vast, vast majority don't reach Lance corporal in three years tbh.

11 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

It's all getting out of hand.  Tributes to this, tributes to that.  If you don't join in, you're obviously against whatever it is.  For once, I'm with FIFA.  Never thought that I'd ever say that.  

No one was looking to have a poppy on a jersey for the first 95 years after WW1 ended.  Was no one respectful enough in all that time....or did they think that a football top isn't the place for a poppy?  Enough of the grandstanding.

^^^ This.  

And this story from the BBC suggests that paying many of them £18K p.a. as civilians would be poor value

Almost two-fifths (39%) of recruits to the Army have the reading ability of an 11-year-old or lower, MPs have warned.

A similar proportion (38%) can only do maths aimed at pupils in their last year of primary school, says a Commons Defence Select Committee report.
The report also raises concerns that 28% of army recruits are aged under 18.
The Ministry of Defence said the armed forces were among the largest training providers in the UK, with "excellent completion and achievement rates".
The research, which examined the education of service personnel, found that the Army, Royal Air Force and the Royal Navy had a reasonable record in improving the maths and English skills of young recruits and trainees who joined up with low levels of qualifications.
It says the minimum entry requirement for new recruits is "entry level 2", which is the equivalent to the standard expected of a seven- or eight-year-old in literacy and numeracy.

Full Story
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23346693

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Dud they have to find their own digs in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Same as most jobs I'd imagine, you go somewhere on work related business you wouldn't expect to pay your hotel bill. You'll still be for your digs back home though.
Afghanistan and Iraq has pretty much stopped as far as I know, less than a thousand between them.