Watches

1 hour ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

An interesting innovation from Horage, a micro regulator that they are hoping the big boys jump on and revolutionize watch accuracy 

Revolution 3

https://www.fratellowatches.com/introducing-horage-x-miniswys-microreg-a-revolutionary-invention/

Some similarities to the bulova accutron space view watch.

1969-Bulova-Accutron-Spaceview-4.thumb.jpg.ebb5671f7bfad1184fe3358bcd649409.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the last few months trying to decide if I would buy a Baltic MR01 or a Kuoe Old Smith 009, but spotted this near my work a few days ago and got that for near enough the same price. I know IWC aren’t to everyone’s tastes, but I f**king like it. 1944, caliber 83 movement so manual winder, and a little weather beaten. Now to start saving for the next one.

IMG_2976.jpeg

Didn't actually wear a watch regularly because i've always got my phone on me for the time, but when i got a dog 5 years ago and was walking her every day, my wife and daughter got me a fitbit, and i've worn it daily ever since, good for tracking routes and distances etc.

Also got a nice dress watch that was a birthday present that i keep for social occasions.

7 hours ago, Ross. said:
7 hours ago, Ross. said:

Spent the last few months trying to decide if I would buy a Baltic MR01 or a Kuoe Old Smith 009, but spotted this near my work a few days ago and got that for near enough the same price. I know IWC aren’t to everyone’s tastes, but I f**king like it. 1944, caliber 83 movement so manual winder, and a little weather beaten. Now to start saving for the next one.

IMG_2976.jpeg

1944? I wonder what the history or story of that watch is, who owned it where has it been what has it seen?

that alone would make me want it. Marvellous 🤩 

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

2 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

1944? I wonder what the history or story of that watch is, who owned it where has it been what has it seen?

that alone would make me want it. Marvellous 🤩 

Funnily enough there is an inscription on the back which helped narrow down the date. Gives the original recipients name and stated it was given as a gift in ‘44 for long service by his employer(Sulzer AG, who are still going). The guy I bought it from has a shop in Zug, mostly does repairs but  uses his shop window to sell watches on a commission basis. This came from a family member of the guy who originally received it, I assume either an aging child or grandchild at this point, possibly even a great grandchild if it was long service then. I know the inscription will put some off, but it was a bonus as far as I am concerned.

Edited by Ross.

8 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Also got a nice dress watch that was a birthday present that i keep for social occasions.

Let's see it on the wrist, regardless of how brawny/scrawny and hairy/hairless that wrist may be. (Bonus greenies may be awarded for full sleeve tats.)

19 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Funnily enough there is an inscription on the back which helped narrow down the date. Gives the original recipients name and stated it was given as a gift in ‘44 for long service by his employer(Sulzer AG, who are still going). The guy I bought it from has a shop in Zug, mostly does repairs but  uses his shop window to sell watches on a commission basis. This came from a family member of the guy who originally received it, I assume either an aging child or grandchild at this point, possibly even a great grandchild if it was long service then. I know the inscription will put some off, but it was a bonus as far as I am concerned.

That's quite nice that you've managed to find out the history of the watch.  I'd almost liken it to folk fortunate enough to own large mansion houses / stately homes who see themselves as a 'custodian' of the property adding to the history of the property and in your case, adding an extra layer of the history.

1 hour ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Let's see it on the wrist, regardless of how brawny/scrawny and hairy/hairless that wrist may be. (Bonus greenies may be awarded for full sleeve tats.)

No tats, you'll have to settle for my fitbit just now, can't be arsed going upstairs to get my watch.

image.png.0981056ec443669881c51467992ac4e1.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/08/2024 at 20:54, Ross. said:

Looking for some local knowledge if you can help, or anyone else, if I were to buy a watch from a boutique in Switzerland do I pay Swiss sales tax or can I get it tax free and wear it back to uk and maybe avoid customs if I forget I'm wearing it?

I know you may have zero knowledge of how this works but the Swiss link had me thinking 

5 minutes ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Looking for some local knowledge if you can help, or anyone else, if I were to buy a watch from a boutique in Switzerland do I pay Swiss sales tax or can I get it tax free and wear it back to uk and maybe avoid customs if I forget I'm wearing it?

I know you may have zero knowledge of how this works but the Swiss link had me thinking 

I have no idea. I actually meant to find this out a few years ago, to see if I could perhaps get friends/family to buy on my behalf and import it to the UK to be sold on, but in the end I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle so didn’t bother looking into.

5 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I have no idea. I actually meant to find this out a few years ago, to see if I could perhaps get friends/family to buy on my behalf and import it to the UK to be sold on, but in the end I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle so didn’t bother looking into.

I bought one from Japan a while back and didn't take into account for the 20% import duties that the courier asked for before delivering.

Basically I was drawn out in raffle for a watch and paid for it but would be cheaper to jump on easy jet to Geneva and collect watch than pay the duty, not exactly legal I suppose.

Thought it would be a long shot asking, thanks though 

8 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

I bought one from Japan a while back and didn't take into account for the 20% import duties that the courier asked for before delivering.

Basically I was drawn out in raffle for a watch and paid for it but would be cheaper to jump on easy jet to Geneva and collect watch than pay the duty, not exactly legal I suppose.

Depending on the value of the piece I would go for it. If there's box and papers, mail them home.

21 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Unless you're coming through customs like the guy below, how would they know?  You'd need to be unlucky to be challenged if you were wearing the watch.   I'd definitely avoid bringing the box through, though - as suggested below you could post them to yourself if you need to hold onto them.

image.jpeg.d81e7153c09d25bc38f0956c6bdb1d40.jpeg

P.S. I think it's the VAT you'll be hit with more than import duties.

Edited by hk blues

• 2 weeks later...