WWE 2k16

We Are Pars Fans!

Anyone bought this?

Used to love wrestling games but the 2k series has been awful, wondering if anyone can provide an update to see if this has improved?

A career mode storyline would be good as well

Glad someone started this, don't want to waste the money after last years abomination.

I'm getting this, it looks decent. I haven't played any of the 2K series games yet. Gave up with wrestling games 5 or 6 years ago. The controls look a lot more complicated than they were back in the day but I'm willing to learn. I'm guessing the match types aren't quite what they used to be either! Used to love fighting backstage and out in the parking lot, complete carnage.

Nearly bought a PlayStation 1 a few months back just to play all the old wrestling games as well as demolition derby, still thinking about it....

N64 with wrestlemania 2000 and wcw vs nwo revenge is where it's at!

N64 with wrestlemania 2000 and wcw vs nwo revenge is where it's at!

Two best wrestling games ever made right there sir.

Day Of Reckoning and Day Of Reckoning 2 are worth hunting down on the Gamecube too, the closest any game has ever came to matching the gameplay of the N64 games.

I've got this, really enjoying it so far. Most of the bits that got rightly criticised in 15 have been resolved, and it generally feels a lot smoother. Career mode is a lot better than the botch job they managed last time out.

I bought WWE 2K15 and loathed it; I ended up giving it away to a boy at work for his son to play. Even the guy's six-year-old boy thought it was mince. Career mode, surely the most important part of the game, was dreadful - you just seemed to amble about, unable to have any influence on what happened, while Vicky Guerrero yelled at you to tell you they had nothing for you (which is probably how it is in real life, come to think of it). Occasionally you had some beef but most of the time it was squash after squash after squash.

Anyway. I played the new game last night down at my mate's house and didn't think much of it. It was a load of button bashing and anything I did seemed to be out of luck than anything else. The whole seemed cumbersome. There were glitches aplenty and some moves quite literally came out of nowhere. Wrestling games seem pretty hard to make - most of the time you're beating away at your opponent, getting the health down, before pinning them, like any beat 'em up. Wrestling doesn't work like that.

Some of the features are pretty neat and the graphics look nice but it's very much style over substance. I shan't be purchasing it myself.

It's a bit of a minter than they have failed to include any of the 4 Horsewoman, while managing to find space for General Adnan and Mikey Whipwreck.

Yeah, they screwed up with that. I'm not sure anyone ever mentioned why they didn't make it, especially as they've long trumpeted the huge roster, which is great if you forget about those omissions.

• 2 months later...

is this a worthwhile buy or is it still as bad as the previous 2K versions? Tempted to buy it but its still full price everywhere. the big roster is a real plus but don't know about the gameplay etc.

It's certainly better than 2k15, and by a fair distance IMO. But there's still that bit missing from it being great.

The career mode was brilliant at the start but it's so very repetitive. I played it for a stupid amount of time, and only got one match that wasn't a straight one-on-one. And given you have to fight on Superstars and Smackdown after your initial call-up, that's 8 matches before you can get to a PPV, in which you get...another singles match.

AI on multi-man matches is still absolutely woeful. Triple threats are the worst, as if two are fighting it out, the other will try to hopelessly grapple, and stop you doing anything. 6 man matches are a close second, as often they make no attempt to stop anyone climbing the ladder. Every Elimination Chamber match sees at least one wrestler get caught in the scenery, ragdoll spectacularly and lag the game out.

But even though I've led with this, it is still a good game. The stamina and reversals changes mean you can have some absolutely brilliant matches. Nothing better than seeing your career mode guy up against it, kick out of a finisher, then reverse a second and go on to win. When you have a 5* match (they rank your matches now) it really feels like a 5* match. If there was a bit more variety, then career mode would be brilliant.

Plus the roster is huge, and they've added in a lot of the things they took out for 15.

7 out of 10 I'd give it - if you can get it slightly cheaper than full price, or pre-owned, I'd go for it.

It's certainly better than 2k15, and by a fair distance IMO. But there's still that bit missing from it being great.

The career mode was brilliant at the start but it's so very repetitive. I played it for a stupid amount of time, and only got one match that wasn't a straight one-on-one. And given you have to fight on Superstars and Smackdown after your initial call-up, that's 8 matches before you can get to a PPV, in which you get...another singles match.

AI on multi-man matches is still absolutely woeful. Triple threats are the worst, as if two are fighting it out, the other will try to hopelessly grapple, and stop you doing anything. 6 man matches are a close second, as often they make no attempt to stop anyone climbing the ladder. Every Elimination Chamber match sees at least one wrestler get caught in the scenery, ragdoll spectacularly and lag the game out.

But even though I've led with this, it is still a good game. The stamina and reversals changes mean you can have some absolutely brilliant matches. Nothing better than seeing your career mode guy up against it, kick out of a finisher, then reverse a second and go on to win. When you have a 5* match (they rank your matches now) it really feels like a 5* match. If there was a bit more variety, then career mode would be brilliant.

Plus the roster is huge, and they've added in a lot of the things they took out for 15.

7 out of 10 I'd give it - if you can get it slightly cheaper than full price, or pre-owned, I'd go for it.

Ladder matches, fatal-4-ways and other multi-AI matches are piss easy to win. Considering everyone wants to fight on the outside, just target one, keep them in the ring, beat the shit out of them, wait till the others are on the outside and then score the pin or climb the ladder

Ladder matches, fatal-4-ways and other multi-AI matches are piss easy to win. Considering everyone wants to fight on the outside, just target one, keep them in the ring, beat the shit out of them, wait till the others are on the outside and then score the pin or climb the ladder

It's not that they're difficult to win, just that the AI is often absolutely terrible when dealing with multi-men. Given I've ever encountered them in the game mode where all I want to do is win (career), I like the matches to have some kind of story out of that mode. And the multi-man matches just don't work at the moment. It's ok with even numbers - triple threat is pretty bad though.

It's a shame, because I think the straight one on one match AI has improved, and you get some classic matches there.

Went and got it, agree with forameus much improved on previous 2k versions.

The showcase mode is fantastic IMO.

That's one bit I haven't actually touched much. Played the first few matches, but agree in previous games it was one of the strongest parts. Probably because the story was already built in.

And another thing I forgot to mention - see if you get to someone putting a submission on you, then can get out of it and not end up losing in a seething mess, then let me know. I've been close to binosam biting ma telly at times.

Archived