McNamara gets York job

Jambo'ness

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved the way he went about matters before the Curzon Ashton game.  He identified what he thought the main issue was:

"“The players have got to play with freedom and without fear, which has probably been the biggest problem this season"

and then in the very same sentence compounded said problem:

"and I think there’s even more pressure on this match, than in a league game.”

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

What is the association with this JM packaging company and York city fc?

JM packaging essentially own the club it seems, or at least are the majority shareholders.  JM in this case is Jason McGill, the York City chairman, so he pretty much owns the club through his company.  Seems he's prepared to let McNamara run the club now while he steps back to run his company again:

“The appointment of Jackie McNamara will also allow the chairman, who will still be responsible for football club strategy, to focus more of his time to JM Packaging, which has seen substantial growth over the last six months, with the successful gaining of significant new customers. This will enable the chairman to ensure there is financial security and longevity for both JM Packaging and York City.”

So having been an absolute disaster managing things on the park he's been handed the chance to replicate this success more generally on all aspects of the club.  

Jackie's final thoughts on his unsuccessful tenure are thoroughly typical of the guy.  He accepts responsibility for his failings and then excuses himself and said failings by instantaneously blaming the players once again:

“With some players, it hasn’t worked with them coming up to this level - ability wise and on the mental side. I take responsibility for that because I gave them the opportunity, but there’s only so much you can do and it’s down to them how they handle it when they cross that line.

McNamara added that he felt City’s players suffered from anxiety once more in their first meeting with the Manchester part-timers, whilst also lamenting the lack of a cutting edge.

“There was a lot of fear in our play again,” he bemoaned. “Players were frightened to get the ball and make things happen.

“It’s very difficult for me to understand why they are scared, because the team gets good home support and they don’t get a lot of abuse, but the fans are crying out for somebody to get on the ball and get at the opposition. There needs to be characters and motivation to get into the next round.

“We also got our goal from a penalty after the first time we got in behind them, but we didn’t do that again during the rest of the game.”

McNamara went on to question the conditioning of an unidentified player or players, saying: “The diet has to be there and somebody like myself takes that for granted but, if you’re not fit for purpose, that reflects on me as a manager.”

He takes full responsibility for the fact it isn't apparently his fault.  What a chancer he really is.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10620023/york-city-appoint-gary-mills-as-manager-with-jackie-mcnamara-as-chief-executive

Mills will be assisted by youth-team manager Steve Torpey for that game after assistant manager Simon Donnelly left the club by mutual consent.

The Rat's snakey serf out on his arse

image.jpg

At least McNamara should be able to show them how to make as much money as possible from selling your players.

Can't help but think this is actually the case. Why else would a 5th tier club want him?..

19 hours ago, port-ton said:

He surely must have invested his own money into that club and now he has the chairman in his back pocket.

Or they just canny afford his pay off and make a Job up for him. 

Gary mills been there before almost got Gateshead into football league, he knows that league inside oot.

23 hours ago, Redstarstranraer said:

I loved the way he went about matters before the Curzon Ashton game.  He identified what he thought the main issue was:

"“The players have got to play with freedom and without fear, which has probably been the biggest problem this season"

and then in the very same sentence compounded said problem:

"and I think there’s even more pressure on this match, than in a league game.”

JM packaging essentially own the club it seems, or at least are the majority shareholders.  JM in this case is Jason McGill, the York City chairman, so he pretty much owns the club through his company.  Seems he's prepared to let McNamara run the club now while he steps back to run his company again:

“The appointment of Jackie McNamara will also allow the chairman, who will still be responsible for football club strategy, to focus more of his time to JM Packaging, which has seen substantial growth over the last six months, with the successful gaining of significant new customers. This will enable the chairman to ensure there is financial security and longevity for both JM Packaging and York City.”

So having been an absolute disaster managing things on the park he's been handed the chance to replicate this success more generally on all aspects of the club.  

Jackie's final thoughts on his unsuccessful tenure are thoroughly typical of the guy.  He accepts responsibility for his failings and then excuses himself and said failings by instantaneously blaming the players once again:

“With some players, it hasn’t worked with them coming up to this level - ability wise and on the mental side. I take responsibility for that because I gave them the opportunity, but there’s only so much you can do and it’s down to them how they handle it when they cross that line.

McNamara added that he felt City’s players suffered from anxiety once more in their first meeting with the Manchester part-timers, whilst also lamenting the lack of a cutting edge.

“There was a lot of fear in our play again,” he bemoaned. “Players were frightened to get the ball and make things happen.

“It’s very difficult for me to understand why they are scared, because the team gets good home support and they don’t get a lot of abuse, but the fans are crying out for somebody to get on the ball and get at the opposition. There needs to be characters and motivation to get into the next round.

“We also got our goal from a penalty after the first time we got in behind them, but we didn’t do that again during the rest of the game.”

McNamara went on to question the conditioning of an unidentified player or players, saying: “The diet has to be there and somebody like myself takes that for granted but, if you’re not fit for purpose, that reflects on me as a manager.”

He takes full responsibility for the fact it isn't apparently his fault.  What a chancer he really is.

Exactly the sort of clear, concise message you'd expect from someone whose new job will see "specific attention paid to the development of a communication strategy".

Archived