Queens v Falkirk

If you insist. Certainly started with a back 4, with Brownlie at right back, Jacobs, Millar and Hutton in a narrow midfield 3 with Rusell wide left, Harris wide right and Lyle up front. One of those 4-5-1 formations that you try and make a 4-3-3 when you've got the ball.

Thought it was pretty obvious we switched to a back 3, with Marshall and Jacobs as the wingbacks. Rusell went up front to play with Lyle, with Harris playing more centrally in behind them.

Happy to take your word on this occasion as it seems to be the consensus.

Marshall always plays further forward so is virtually a wing back even in a back 4. Brownlie's positional sense is terrible making it hard to know where he's meant to be, and Jacobs covers that much ground it's hard to tell where he's playing as well.

If we learned anything today I think it's that Lyle needs a partner alongside him (that was known a long time ago), and that the best option of those available is Russell.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy to take your word on this occasion as it seems to be the consensus.

Marshall always plays further forward so is virtually a wing back even in a back 4. Brownlie's positional sense is terrible making it hard to know where he's meant to be, and Jacobs covers that much ground it's hard to tell where he's playing as well.

If we learned anything today I think it's that Lyle needs a partner alongside him (that was known a long time ago), and that the best option of those available is Russell.

Your right on both counts! I think it was more evident that nobody was playing directly in front of Marshall after the switch, though.

I said at half time that we've looked the most dangerous going forward when Lyle and Russell have played together up front. I like Oliver, but for me he hasnt done enough to justify a start. I'd be tempted to play him in behind the front two, although obviously Harris did really well there today

Full marks to Robbie Thomson again with 2 brilliant saves in either half.I said in the pre-match thread that it was becoming a chore watching us but if they can show that fight every week fans can handle that.We fully deserved the draw today though after the first 25mins i was thinking about going home to clean the toilet or something.Thoroughly enjoyable game in the end with some good football played by both sides.

That is incredible. In fact, I can scarcely believe it. Are you seriously saying that you're over twenty years of age?

Apologies, I may been harsh. Having spent the last week in Dubai my expectations were clearly above what Dumfries could offer.

Apologies, I may been harsh. Having spent the last week in Dubai my expectations were clearly above what Dumfries could offer.

You should have travelled down last night and stayed in the Cairndale Hotel. It is similar to the Burj Al Arab.

Wouldve taken a point before the game but disappointing to drop two after leading twice and losing a silly pen from cracks and an offside goal. On the plus side raith and morton dropping points means we're still in the box seat for 3rd and still in touching distance of the top two.

Glad that my pessimistic 4 goal defeat didn't materialise, though the first 30 mins with Lyle up front with no support was what I was predicting.

Team selection looked interesting. How did Dowie do on his comeback?

Agree with the comments if we play like that bar first 25 mins people can handle getting beat or not winning games that was easily one of our best home performances of the season.

If we can keep that up then hopefully we can climb the table.

My brief thoughts -

We were fantastic in the first 25 minutes. Could have easily killed the game stone dead in that period such was our dominance.

Gave away a soft penalty (ffs McCracken) and really never recovered.

Several players simply not good enough in the second half, Vaulks, Kerr, Leahy, Sibbald etc - nothing seemed to be going right for them

Thought we'd stolen it with Miller's goal, but a point probably a fair result in the end.

Totally, totally pish defending for Queens' second equaliser.

Good away support.

It was cold.

Russell is still a diving wee c**t.

My brief thoughts -

We were fantastic in the first 25 minutes. Could have easily killed the game stone dead in that period such was our dominance.

Gave away a soft penalty (ffs McCracken) and really never recovered.

Several players simply not good enough in the second half, Vaulks, Kerr, Leahy, Sibbald etc - nothing seemed to be going right for them

Thought we'd stolen it with Miller's goal, but a point probably a fair result in the end.

Totally, totally pish defending for Queens' second equaliser.

Good away support.

It was cold.

Russell is still a diving wee c**t.

Totally agree with all of your post.

I'll add a few points like the constant hoofing of the ball from Muirhead was torture to watch at times. Play the ball on the deck and we'd have had a much better afternoon.

Oh aye and lyle has made a career in football playing on his Arse! Stay on yer fuckin feet man.

Pretty harsh for the Falkirk fans to accuse our players of going down easily, considering Miller acted as if he had brittle bone disease when he came on. I can't recall Russell going to ground easily today either other than once in the first half when the ball went out for a Falkirk goal kick. Lyle a diver? Naw.

For those complaining of our second being offside, there was 3 incidents leading to the second Falkirk goal that I thought were fouls. One of our players (Dowie?) got his collar tugged on the edge of the box in the build up and at the corner Higgins (sure it was him) was practically mounted by a Falkirk player. I'd like to see the highlights just to see if my initial view was indeed correct.

Hope McHugh's injury isn't too serious. Nothing against the boy. He wasn't especially great for us but he gave his all and for his performances in the play-offs against Falkirk (ironically) I'll always have a wee like for the guy :)

Guest Back Post Misses

Pretty harsh for the Falkirk fans to accuse our players of going down easily, considering Miller acted as if he had brittle bone disease when he came on. I can't recall Russell going to ground easily today either other than once in the first half when the ball went out for a Falkirk goal kick. Lyle a diver? Naw.

For those complaining of our second being offside, there was 3 incidents leading to the second Falkirk goal that I thought were fouls. One of our players (Dowie?) got his collar tugged on the edge of the box in the build up and at the corner Higgins (sure it was him) was practically mounted by a Falkirk player. I'd like to see the highlights just to see if my initial view was indeed correct.

Hope McHugh's injury isn't too serious. Nothing against the boy. He wasn't especially great for us but he gave his all and for his performances in the play-offs against Falkirk (ironically) I'll always have a wee like for the guy :)

Aye ok. We will take your views on the game with the lack of credibility it deserves. You were the only man in the ground who thought you played the same formation all game. Even your manager said. We improved when we changed the formation. Stick to FIFA son.

Falkirk fans are not complaining it was offside merely pointing out it was. You winsome you lose some.

Falkirk battered us for the first 20-25 minutes but after that it was mostly all Queens . An enjoyable game made even better after we equalised considering the conduct of Baird , Kerr & Muirhead when they had scored their second :) They should really know better . Never over celebrate until after the final whistle lads :)

Good support down from Falkirk . What was the official figure SD ?

Falkirk battered us for the first 20-25 minutes but after that it was mostly all Queens . An enjoyable game made even better after we equalised considering the conduct of Baird , Kerr & Muirhead when they had scored their second :) They should really know better . Never over celebrate until after the final whistle lads :)

Good support down from Falkirk . What was the official figure SD ?

Muirhead isn't the brightest .

Wasn't at the game yesterday unfortunately but would have taken a point before the game to keep us unbeaten in 5. Queens always seem to raise their game against us, whether it's because they think we are rivals or not I'm not sure. With that performance, does that change your outlook for the season Queens fans?

I can't imagine it will change very much. Fowler will still believe we can get fourth, which isn't completely out of the question given the inconsistency of our rivals. Whereas the fans will still think we are more likely to finish lower.

Personally I'd rather see us play like that and draw, than play like we did in the wins over Dumbarton and Alloa. Obviously that would see us finish lower in the league but so be it. Even if we get fourth we're not going to progress in the playoffs.

As for raising our game against Falkirk. You're right, it really is incredible. You'd expect the opposite really, with our players being in awe of such galacticos.

Also think I can speak for most of our fans as well when I say we hold matches against Falkirk in the same esteem as the numerous cup finals we've been in in the last 10 years.

I can't imagine it will change very much. Fowler will still believe we can get fourth, which isn't completely out of the question given the inconsistency of our rivals. Whereas the fans will still think we are more likely to finish lower.

Personally I'd rather see us play like that and draw, than play like we did in the wins over Dumbarton and Alloa. Obviously that would see us finish lower in the league but so be it. Even if we get fourth we're not going to progress in the playoffs.

As for raising our game against Falkirk. You're right, it really is incredible. You'd expect the opposite really, with our players being in awe of such galacticos.

Also think I can speak for most of our fans as well when I say we hold matches against Falkirk in the same esteem as the numerous cup finals we've been in in the last 10 years.

At no point did I say it was incredible, but thanks for playing :lol:.

Archived