Falling asleep on public transport

Fide

Does anyone else find it nigh on impossible to stay awake on public transport?

I don't know if it's down to the length of the journey (I have about a 45 minute journey each day) but I literally cannot stay awake on the bus.

I do tend to wake up before my stop, but on Friday I woke up to a dark and deserted bus in Ayr bus station, a good 50 minute walk from home. What fun.

Has anyone else woken up far from their destination?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done the night bus thing where you go all the way around and wake up coming back into George Square, but the worst one I've ever heard was a guy I work with who got a train pished ostensibly back to Barrhead and woke up in Carlisle.

Missing your stop's one thing - missing your country's another.

Blackpool. But that was when I was living in Bolton, used to go to the Smiths/Morrissey night. (Monthly) in Manchester, which didn't shut until 2am but the train back to Bolton where 1.30 & 3.30 both terminating in Blackpool, the journey from Manchester to Bolton was only 20min, Bolton was the 1st stop on those services. But after an evening of beer, dance & trying to fix a hole, I was always shagged out, once some c**t woke me up in Preston & I managed to get a train back to Bolton but one time no c**t woke me & I ended up in Blackpool mid-winter freezing & rapidly sobering in the seaside town that was shut down. Oh I can smile about it now but at the time it was terrible. I think the easiest? I think he meant earliest train back was about 6.30 & I had to pay.

Happy days

Grimbo

Doesn't help me that the main Stagecoach service in my area is the Buchan service. Big buses with comfortable as f**k seats (although I'm not too keen on these black and purple buses they've rolled out now. If anyone's been on the X7 from Aberdeen to Perth or vice-versa, they're exactly the same type of bus as them; apart from the two seats behind the driver all the seats are upstairs now)

The amount of times I've missed my stop and woken up in Peterhead or Fraserburgh :rolleyes:

Doesn't help me that the main Stagecoach service in my area is the Buchan service. Big buses with comfortable as f**k seats (although I'm not too keen on these black and purple buses they've rolled out now. If anyone's been on the X7 from Aberdeen to Perth or vice-versa, they're exactly the same type of bus as them; apart from the two seats behind the driver all the seats are upstairs now)

The amount of times I've missed my stop and woken up in Peterhead or Fraserburgh :rolleyes:

I feel your pain brother. Comfy Stragecoach seats + heating = missed stop.

I've fallen asleep a couple of times on the last train home. Luckily my stop is the second last on the line, so at worst I end up one stop further down the road. Unluckily that stop is Neilston and it's as far away from my house as the town is, so the taxi I've had to drunkenly phone to take me home costs almost as much as a taxi home from the city centre would have cost.

A friend of mine ( no really) was on the train from Aberdeen to Montrose and was woken in Dundee, waited on the next train back to Montrose and did the same thing - back in Aberdeen 4hours after he left to go home.

Needless to say, he had been imbibing that day.

I've actually done the opposite- train from Dundee - Montrose, promptly fell asleep, I woke up and thought I had passed my stop and were in Stonehaven, jumped off the train to discover I was only in Carnoustie....

Once, and I acknowledge my cruelty.

I got on train at Dyce for Aberdeen, and this was a service from Inverurie going straight through to Edinburgh.

Sat down and drunken 20ish year old guy got on the train and for the 4mins the train sat at the station and first 5mins of journey

was very loudly talking on his phone, about the 'mega' night ahead, was going to 'be on it' and Aberdeen was getting 'hit by the wild boys tonight',

Next 5mins of journey he fell asleep clearly already blazing.
I could have woke him as I got off the train at Aberdeen,
I could have not looked back and laughed as he slept on the train as it started to pull away and he headed for Stonehaven and south towards Edinburgh.
I could have..........but chose not to.
Funner was the train from Glasgow to Ayr.
Guy sleeping and the beeping of the doors wakes him, realises he is at Johnstone his stop and jumps up and runs for the doors as they close and seal
and train starts to move away. His calm, casual nonchalant walk back to his seat as the train headed for Kilwinning was not assisted by half the carriage failing to suppress their laughter at him.

I was terrible for doing this when I stayed in Kilwinning.

Off the top of my head I've woken up at Kilwinning (doors just closed), Stevenston, Saltcoats (twice), Ardrossan SB, Fairlie & Largs (twice)

On the other side: Irvine (twice), Barassie, Troon, Prestwick Town and Ayr (twice)

Sometimes I was lucky enough that I wasn't on the last train but I had to get a taxi home on at least a few occasions.

The best/worst was when I woke up and immediately realised that the train had stopped and I wasn't at any station between Glasgow and Kilwinning. Ran off in a panic, only to then see the train had yet to budge from the top of platform 15 at Central.

Was a semi regular occurrence for me. Used to get the 62 up the road from Glasgow most weekends, generally after working in a pub and going for a few after. Would normally be knackered and half pished and on far too many occasions missed my stop at the start of Clydebank, waking up at the terminus in Faifley then searching for a taxi home.

ETA:

When I was home a few weeks back I went to the Clydebank game v Forfar West End. Had basically been out since the Thursday afternoon, and been drinking all day on the way through, during and after the match. Went into Dundee for a few after the game, then got the train back to Queen St. I recall boarding in Dundee, and then waking up in Queen Street. Was in a hell of a state between being seriously pished and half asleep.

I regularly fight hopelessly against nodding off on the bus home from work. I hate the feeling of trying to stay awake and not being able to. Happened last wednesday and I felt confused for a few seconds as I neared my stop because I'd been nodding and waking over and over every few seconds for most of the thirty minute journey, so wasn't initially sure if I was really at the stop near my home or not due to the tiredness clouding my mind.

Drunken ones I've done very occasionally, most extreme of which was after a Killie game against ICT one day. I headed into Glasgow from Milngavie by train, then ran to catch the Killie train with seconds to spare, still half cut from the night before and then chugged a couple of cans of Guinness on the train. Went to the Kadikoi Bar in Killie and filled up on more Guinness and whisky chasers, then the bowling club and then the ground. Left at half time as the game was shite and went to the Park Hotel and stayed there a few hours, then moved on to Fanny By Gaslight, before deciding I was too drunk and going for a Chinese takeaway, where I promptly fell asleep waiting on my chow mein. Managed to stagger up to the station, open my food and then fall into a drunken stupor on a bench with the untouched food in my hands. Some Caley fans woke me up and half walked half carried me onto the Glasgow bound train. Took them for a pint at the Horseshoe Bar in Glasgow to say thanks (declining an offer to go to a student party in Edinburgh that night), at which point one of them jokingly told me if he'd known I was a Killie fan he'd have put me on the Newcastle train at Kilmarnock and the nick I was in they genuinely could have, lucky for me they were sound. I then went for my train to Clydebank via the station Burger King. I remember sitting in a seat and trying to eat a burger, then I came to and the train was sitting at Dumbarton East station with the doors open and the conductor was standing over me glaring at my vomit filled Burger King paper bag. I dived off the train and phoned my, confused, bird to come and pick me up.

Was a semi regular occurrence for me. Used to get the 62 up the road from Glasgow most weekends, generally after working in a pub and going for a few after. Would normally be knackered and half pished and on far too many occasions missed my stop at the start of Clydebank, waking up at the terminus in Faifley then searching for a taxi home.

ETA:

When I was home a few weeks back I went to the Clydebank game v Forfar West End. Had basically been out since the Thursday afternoon, and been drinking all day on the way through, during and after the match. Went into Dundee for a few after the game, then got the train back to Queen St. I recall boarding in Dundee, and then waking up in Queen Street. Was in a hell of a state between being seriously pished and half asleep.

I've fallen asleep pished on the night 62 home a couple of times when I was staying with my folks, once I woke up just as the bus was coming back to my stop having been to Faifley. Most bizarrely was that I was on the aisle seat and there had been someone sitting in the window seat who had somehow got past me to get out while I was KOd.

Other than when I've consumed industrial quantities of lager, I can't sleep on public transport, especially planes.

Most mornings on the 6am bus to Forfar when I was 16/17, which took a fucking hour cause it has to go through all the wee yokel villages and even the main roads into Forfar are only still fit for horse and cart.

Never started work until 8 as well but got there 50 minutes early every morning seeing as the next bus wasn't until 7am. Had to get up at 5.15, walk down to the bus station and get on this, never got home until 7 at night either seeing as the bus home was 5.45.

Worked 7.10 until 5.30 and got paid for 8 hours work at £3.57 an hour, bus was something like £25 a week too. Fucking trainee jobs.

Um, back in the day when I was a student at Glasgow Tech. I was boozing one Friday afternoon and got the train back to Paisley at 5pm-ish, I woke up as we were getting into Paisley but only after going up to Greenock and back. -_-

Archived