T in the Park 2016

Ira Gaines

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the three years in Hamilton, missed the first two at Balado, but went every year bar one between 1999 and 2014. Didn't go to Strathallan as you can guarantee events like this will be a fucking shambles for the first year or two.

It's obvious that me not going has got the thing cancelled. Apologies.

ETA: Seeing that written down makes me realise what a sad chunt I've been. 17 T In The Parks is far too many IMO.

I'm not a big music fan but wouldn't mind going to an event where the headliner had at least a handful of sing along classics. Oasis, Radiohead, Coldplay, Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

I couldn't name one song by any of the bands Randy Giles or DAFC.

I think it's a different time now. A big number of big live draws now have very few big hits, if any. Think it's just how it is these days. Bands as popular as the ones mentioned probably would have had a few well known hits in another time.

Tame Impala are absolutely superb but aren't headline possibilities IMO. They've had three well-received albums but they've hardly taken the wider world by storm. The 1975 are probably the most likely band to hit the main stage headline slot surely?

10 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Tame Impala are absolutely superb but aren't headline possibilities IMO. They've had three well-received albums but they've hardly taken the wider world by storm. The 1975 are probably the most likely band to hit the main stage headline slot surely?

I'd say Twenty One Pilots and Bring Me the Horizon will be headlining festivals on their next album for certain. The speed that Twenty One Pilots sold out their London dates this month was crazy. They drew a monster crowd at Reading and Leeds and are huge at the moment. They can do no wrong just now in that regard. They're probably the biggest band who aren't already headliners.

ETA: Wouldn't be surprised to see Prophets of Rage on that Glasgow bill btw. Especially with the "aiming for T fans of old" thing.

Fair enough. I bowed out of indie rock ages ago so haven't a real clue who's on the up anymore. The 1975 are the only band I've seen in the mainstream press quite frequently that I knew were just starting out when I stopped listening.

Not that I particularly like them but Catfish and the Bottlemen are pretty huge with that demographic right now. 

I went to 8 Ts over 9 years, including the first year at strathallan. Had some absolutely outstanding weekends there, it really felt like a right of passage for Scottish teeneagers for a few years there. 

The style of act booked has definitely changed in recent years and for my tastes the lineups have been progressively worse. I do think there was a change in the demographic attending the last few years and it's not just that I was getting older and therefore less willing to put up with the neds and bams. As noted above it appeared to be more about the weekend and the camping rather than the bands for a lot of attendees. At the risk of sounding like a music snob dickhead, when I used to go I'd be in the arena at midday watching something I'd never heard of if there was nothing I knew on... that used to be common. The last few years it was all folk piling in at 7pm utterly tanked up. 

Archived