T in the Park 2016

Ira Gaines

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How often were the Bowie types available to them? Think they kinda blew a chance a couple of years back with Paul McCartney as he would have been a huge ticket shifter and something different from the T norm, but outside of that, I can't think of many folk doing the festivals that they could have gotten.

Good riddance to an arsepiece of a festival. This was confirmed to me when about 30 folk went to see LCD Soundsystem this year. 

To be fair though I went in 2009 and it was a cracking weekend although never on the levels of RockNess. 

For the same price of a T ticket you get get flights to Holland, Belgium, Germany etc and a ticket to a festival with much better line ups, weather, burds and in general people. Even down south the selection of festivals is great.

7 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

How often were the Bowie types available to them? Think they kinda blew a chance a couple of years back with Paul McCartney as he would have been a huge ticket shifter and something different from the T norm, but outside of that, I can't think of many folk doing the festivals that they could have gotten.

I think T aimed at a younger market.  McCartney must surely have been an option in 2013 (?) when he did the huge festivals tour - I saw him at Outside Lands in the US - but I think it's fair to say it was a short sighted policy with Reading and Leeds both going for that market too.  For a while there, there were far too many festivals, but it's quite possible for say, Green Man, to find a successful niche demographic without being three days of jazz. 

I heard it said - probably on here - that organisers were offered Springsteen and turned it down.

41 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I think T aimed at a younger market.  McCartney must surely have been an option in 2013 (?) when he did the huge festivals tour - I saw him at Outside Lands in the US - but I think it's fair to say it was a short sighted policy with Reading and Leeds both going for that market too.  For a while there, there were far too many festivals, but it's quite possible for say, Green Man, to find a successful niche demographic without being three days of jazz. 

I heard it said - probably on here - that organisers were offered Springsteen and turned it down.

McCartney would have been an option more than once. Didn't realise 2013 but 2015 he did numerous festivals around June and July. The US festivals aren't really a guide to what's available here tbh.

On 24/11/2016 at 22:13, 8MileBU said:

It should never have left Balado. Being P&B there'll no doubt be folk cry bullshit (haters gonna hate), but a guy I know very well works in the oil industry with direct involvement with the Forties Pipeline for many years, says the concerns that resulted in the move from Balado were completely unfounded, they put a thing called a PIG (not the bacon variety) down a stretch of the pipeline by Balado every year before and after the festival, and at no point over the years was there ever even a tiny fracture or any other concern over the integrity of the pipeline.

In your opinion. But hey it's all about opinions...

Anyway having just spent some time looking at the 2011 line-up I don't necessarily disagree with you.

Yes, there's some big names on that line up, (some questionable billing times too) but out of the main stage headliners, only the Foo Fighters appeal to me, and maybe only another 3 or 4 acts the rest of the weekend. However 2011 was firmly in the going downhill era where dance acts and urban/grime type acts were being given more exposure, on the bigger stages and tents and unfortunately attracting more and more young ned vermin to the festival.

This has been the norm for the entire festival circuit yet there's literally dozens of success stories. It's nothing to do with the type of act that's being booked and more to do with the awful job DF Concerts has done of organising the festival and dealing with any issues that have arisen. I've said it numerous times now but the UK's most successful new festival is Parklife which exclusively deals in the sort of artists that you turn your nose up at.

People want TITP to go back to some mythical time of dad rock purism but it's always went along with what's popular in the Scottish music scene at the time. The festival market is over saturated and T can't compete with specially curated smaller festivals throughout Britain, foreign sun-soaked week long holidays in Croatia or the traditional big names like Bestival and Glastonbury which have an identifiable ethos and reputation for putting real work into the presentation and curation of their lineups. 

3 hours ago, NotThePars said:

People want TITP to go back to some mythical time of dad rock purism but it's always went along with what's popular in the Scottish music scene at the time. The festival market is over saturated and T can't compete with specially curated smaller festivals throughout Britain, foreign sun-soaked week long holidays in Croatia or the traditional big names like Bestival and Glastonbury which have an identifiable ethos and reputation for putting real work into the presentation and curation of their lineups. 

Don't have a problem with mainstream stuff as that's where the biggest crowd has always traditionally come from. I think it's the balance of the rest they have misjudged in recent years. In the past there was enough decent alternative stuff across the tents to attract a wider group of music fan. This year there were very slim pickings on that front which is why a large slice of that potential audience stayed home. Hence the paltry crowds for superb bands like LCD Soundsystem or Frightened Rabbit, the latter having just sold out three straight nights at the Barrowlands. 

Suspect it's the loss of income from that section of the market which has had made it less financially viable and led to the decision to take a break.

4 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Don't have a problem with mainstream stuff as that's where the biggest crowd has always traditionally come from. I think it's the balance of the rest they have misjudged in recent years. In the past there was enough decent alternative stuff across the tents to attract a wider group of music fan. This year there were very slim pickings on that front which is why a large slice of that potential audience stayed home. Hence the paltry crowds for superb bands like LCD Soundsystem or Frightened Rabbit, the latter having just sold out three straight nights at the Barrowlands. 

Suspect it's the loss of income from that section of the market which has had made it less financially viable and led to the decision to take a break.

Tbf why is anyone going to deal with a wet field in Scotland at 200 pounds a ticket where it's trying to cater to multiple groups of people when you can get a ticket to something more curated to your tastes elsewhere and usually in a sunnier setting? All the alternative rock music fans around my age go to Primavera. All the dance heads go to Croatia or one of the London weekenders and your average 'ned' is just as likely to hit Creamfields rather than T these days. 

2011 was the last time I went.  Fucking great lineup and saw so many bands I wanted to see.  Even checked out a few newer bands.  Line up has been pish ever since.  f**k Kasabian/Stone Roses/Artic Monkeys and pop shite like Rihanna

People want TITP to go back to some mythical time of dad rock purism but it's always went along with what's popular in the Scottish music scene at the time.

Shame the music scene right now is so unbelievably shite. Who could you even get from this era as a head liner that hasn't been seen to death and would actually get people going WOW.

There's hardly any big rock bands emerging anymore. That's why we have to rely on legends such as the Stone Roses, Guns and roses and then the likes of kasabian and arctic monkeys to feed us good guitar music.

There's some acts that are close. Twenty One Pilots, Bring Me the Horizon and Foals will be topping festivals on their own soon I think. Don't think Bastille are far away from it either given that their arena tour has done pretty well.

It's not exactly monsters though. Nobody that feels properly huge, although I don't think Twenty One Pilots are far away from that sort of status either.

They're saying Radiohead's a coup for attracting the older crowd they're looking to attract. Genuine question but is it? I'm bang into Radiohead but how many of the former T crowd are going to be yelling for King of Limbs deep cuts or anything off A Moon Shaped Pool? 

14 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Shame the music scene right now is so unbelievably shite. Who could you even get from this era as a head liner that hasn't been seen to death and would actually get people going WOW.

There's hardly any big rock bands emerging anymore. That's why we have to rely on legends such as the Stone Roses, Guns and roses and then the likes of kasabian and arctic monkeys to feed us good guitar music.

Tame Impala will be headlining festivals in the next few years probably. Smashing band, but not one that could cause you to have a stroke when you hear their announcement, unlike Bowie or whatever. 

Archived