T in the Park 2016

Ira Gaines

10 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Just a shame there's no other festivals like Rockness to capitalise on T's failures. Another decent festival in Scotland could deal a killer blow to T.

Has Rockness officially come to an end? I thought it was just taking a break for a while. Great festival, size and location was spot on but it still had the ned element which people like to ignore.

7 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Gig on the Green 2002 was absolutely fucking fantastic. Especially the Saturday.

They should bring this back, perhaps one in Glasgow and one in Edinburgh.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I didn't have to travel all the way through to Glasgow for it! 

You are right enough then, gig on the green would be a good thing to bring back and if the rain were to get  out of hand you could easily nip into town and get in doors somewhere. 

There's definitely room for another festival now with the number of people alienated by T in the Park. Think it'd need to be something like Gig on the Green was then though. Problem is that R&L now use a LOT of the same sort of acts as T on the high end of the lineup, whereas back then, it seemed to be a proper alternative to what T was doing. They could try and have it in June I suppose when a lot of other acts are in Europe doing the early part of the summer.

^^^This. Though it was a bit 'nu metal' if I mind right...

2001 Saturday had some nu metal aye. 2002 wasn't bad for it. Seen Flogging Molly, Amen, NOFX, Slipknot and The Prodigy in 2002 on the Saturday. On both years, the Sunday was very different.

Were Eminem and Marilyn Manson at gig on the green one year, causing great controversy?

Something like that could definitely be aimed at the over 25's though leaving TITP for the 18-24 demographic.

I was at every T in the Park between 2002 and 2008 (which proves how out of touch I am) so I went back to look at the lineups and it was so much more diverse in terms of what was on offer, plus it is amazing to see how mainstream EDM has become. Plus if I remember correctly it was never a total sellout (seen a lot made of this over the last few days). It was dead easy to get a ticket up until about 2009 and then it went mental with people queuing overnight for tickets etc.

Regarding more varied acts, John Grant posted a picture of his crowd of this year and barely 150 there. Says alot about the changed demographic over the last five years.

9 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

^^^This. Though it was a bit 'nu metal' if I mind right...

Alien Ant Farm, hed pe, Papa Roach, Queens of the Stone Age, Marilyn Manson on the Saturday. (No bad from memory) 

Strathallan came 12th out of 14 potential 'new' sites.  This was an initial survey by Bell Ingram (in 2011) who were hired by Perth & Kinross council.

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/culture/music/taxpayers-fund-search-for-new-t-in-the-park-site-1-3663023

The top potential new site was:

1. Middleton (north west of Gleneagles)  (score 70 out of 100)

The rest are on the attached (rated 1 - 14.  Strathallan was mentioned as being 'Too remote, isolated / Accessibility poor from A9'  (score 41 out of 100)

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/221862/response/583288/attach/html/3/2011 Study.pdf.html

Archived