T in the Park 2016

Ira Gaines

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Donny has a point. If you had those sort of figures involved in a football match there'd be a months long inquiry from assorted hand-wringers wanting to stop all of it.  Yet there seems to have been more coverage of last year's mud and traffic congestion rather than people actually dying.

Went up yesterday and have to say as a T virgin I thought it was cracking. stayed in the tut tut and had a great night, Travis and the rollers were brilliant. Only downside was the ratio of complete and utter plums their and having to walk through the tent refugee camps, that I can't see the fun in

My First time at Strathallan today, have done Balado since 2007. Always day tickets, never camped. Other than Faithless (worth the money on their own) thought it was v poor I'm afraid.

Shame to say, but unless they pull a magic rabbit next year, I think it's done for.

My First time at Strathallan today, have done Balado since 2007. Always day tickets, never camped. Other than Faithless (worth the money on their own) thought it was v poor I'm afraid.

Shame to say, but unless they pull a magic rabbit next year, I think it's done for.

It'll never ever be done, as long as there's relatively big names groups of 16-24 year olds will keep on coming and and it'll go on and on and on. Plus the people that just love certain bands/make a weekend of it and not overly bothered about the music/day trippers.

Somebody has been raped now. Place is infested with bams. Horrendous.

It's a shame. The atmosphere from the sets on the iPlayer makes it look like a hell of a festival. Even an uber drab set from Bastille had the place bouncing. RHCP actually looked not bad as well, considering they usually look utter baws on TV.

Can you give a more detailed critique please?

First time at Strathallan and never had any issues with the location or the traffic, our bus took 40 minutes to get back to Dundee a few hours ago. The arena felt pretty quiet yesterday but the rain seemed to drive a lot of folk away. The campsite felt deserted by the time we left.

As always, a wonderful time at TITP for anyone who goes and wants to have a good time. Jeff Mills was fucking magic last night

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Can you give a more detailed critique please?

A subjective view certainly, more than likely coloured by my advancing years but:

The layout at Strathallan seems huge; I tend to spend the day going back and forth between the Main Stage and the Slam Tent. Add in the mud (not their fault), and I reckon that was a good 20 minute trudge each way yesterday. That limits what you can see and I ended up just sticking with the Main Stage and saw about half of what I would otherwise have wanted. 

Speaking of mud, maybe its because Balado had so many years of being washed out and the topsoil removed that recently it never seemed to get so bad. Strathallan is near-pristine farmland, plenty of soil to mulch up into the mess that it was.

An unusually large proportion of bands I'd never heard of before. Sure, the idea is to go and expose yourself to stuff you might not otherwise see but you still need a big dose of crowd pleasers.

There were definitely nuggets of gold there - Slaves were one that I'd never heard of but really got things going early on and Faithless were everything you coudl have hoped for - but i just found it a bit meh this year. Maybe I should just stick with the dead cert Calvin Harris on a Saturday...

4 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

It's a shame. The atmosphere from the sets on the iPlayer makes it look like a hell of a festival. Even an uber drab set from Bastille had the place bouncing. RHCP actually looked not bad as well, considering they usually look utter baws on TV.

Every comment I have seen about RHCP on Facebook from folk I know who were there has been slating them for being pish.

Most also seem to be saying that they had a great weekend but wouldn't go back if it stays where it is.

T is finished. Done. There was nobody there.

I had a belter of a weekend mind, saw some incredible artists and gave my liver a good kicking. Combine last year's traffic nonsense with this year's poor atmosphere and I think they'll struggle to save it enough with next year. I've been to the last seven years but I'll try something else next year.

Hot Dub Time Machine on the Thursday was magic. Such a simple idea, that guy has it sorted.

Augustines kicked off Friday, average as hell. Dull. Accidentally saw Fun Lovin' Criminals while looking for the campsite entrance, that's a load of bollocks. Disclosure were immense, they have a great setup, so unique. Finished it off getting guttered and watching Alesso. Its landfill EDM. It works. It functions. A few total bangers.

Saturday was mental with clashes. Could have seen about fourteen bands that day. Jack Garratt is ace, like Disclosure he's doing something different. My pals all love Fatherson but I still don't get it. Always seems to wash over me. Vant were terrific. Proper potential to be massive, if they were around a few years ago when indie was en vogue they could have smashed it. Last Shadow Puppets and Bastille were amazing before Calvin. Alex Turner is some boy. Calvin loves a bounce and bringing out Dizzee was a master stroke.

I was annihilated Sunday morning. I've never felt so old at T. Saw Slaves and FIDLAR, Slaves were OK, FIDLAR were better. That new album is great. We got lucky and caught Insomnia by Faithless, those smoke bombs look amazing when all the different colours go together. That re energised us and we saw Major Lazer who were obnoxious American trash. Quickly ditched and we saw Craig David in one of the weirdest sets I've ever seen. Him behind a desk playing some of his own songs and a bunch of chart hits with him singing or rapping over the top and mixing live and singing at the same time. Very odd but pretty enjoyable! Highlight of the weekend was the closing act. There can't have been more than a thousand people there but LCD Soundsystem were incredible. Dance music for grown ups. Proper dancing. Loved it and they all but confirmed a Barrowlands gig.

But that'll be my last year for a while. Me and my pals have outgrown the festival and want to go to one where bands like LCD Soundsystem get the audience they deserve.

Think I've got throat and chest infections though.

Archived