T in the Park 2016

Ira Gaines

Think they just need to expand their scope a bit. Not wildly but the odd wee heavier act. They did actually do that for a while and were selling out every year.

I would say they sold out in spite of that, not because if it. Rage had one of the smallest headline crowds I've ever witnessed and Nine Inch Nails didn't do much better.

The reason TITP is failing is because Geoff Ellis struggling to admit when he's fucked up and never learning from his mistakes. He's did his best to monopolise the festival market in Scotland and I genuinely hope he loses a fortune this year.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it's probably the dogshit line-up. Just moving back to an airfield in Fife is not going to make the event sell out again. 

The line up is no worse than it was for the past couple of years at Balado when it still sold out. Moving to Strathallan and trying to cut costs by doing what ever possible resulted in an absolute disaster last year with tens of thousands of people having a truly abysmal time of it all and not even getting a hint of an apology. In fact in the days that followed the event the official Facebook page blamed festival goers for the complete f**k ups rather than take any of the responsibility for it.

Dont blame folk for not wanting to fork out hundreds for that shite again this year. Geoff Ellis can go f**k himself.

Tbh for me it's a mixture of a terrible line up and last years complete clusterfuck. I like a big variety of music but most of my mates like house so would come to T, see a few of the acts I wanted too then hit the slam tent or a bigger name at another stage. We've decided to do Creamfields this year though as it still keeps everyone happy and it's a better set up in every way, the ned factor is also much less.

I would rather it just fell on its arse and was replaced by 2 or 3 smaller festivals. Rockiness remained the dance music one and then have one that is more for the indie music scene and then one that is more for pop artists. Would bring back that connect festival that took place at Inverary castle, that was a brilliant set up and perfect for the slightly older folk who occasionally like to dabble in acid without the constant threat of being pissed on an old firm supporter.

I would say they sold out in spite of that, not because if it. Rage had one of the smallest headline crowds I've ever witnessed and Nine Inch Nails didn't do much better.

The reason TITP is failing is because Geoff Ellis struggling to admit when he's fucked up and never learning from his mistakes. He's did his best to monopolise the festival market in Scotland and I genuinely hope he loses a fortune this year.

Nine Inch Nails is the poorest drawing "headline" act I've ever seen as well.  I saw them in the US that year at a festival, and there were more people at the mid day sets.    Not a festival act.  

The line up is no worse than it was for the past couple of years at Balado when it still sold out. Moving to Strathallan and trying to cut costs by doing what ever possible resulted in an absolute disaster last year with tens of thousands of people having a truly abysmal time of it all and not even getting a hint of an apology. 

Well it's practically the same line up as the final couple of years at Balado. And that's rather the point: repeating the same cycle of acts eventually becomes tiresome and shit to more and more people. Moving the festival venue won't change that fact.

Well I'm not sure where you expect them to go with the line up as they always have the popular up and coming bands then a good few bands there for nostalgic reasons and a good number of Scottish artists. They are limited to the headliners they can get and getting Calvin Harris and kasabian time after time is annoying as f**k but there aren't that many headliners out there and many of the most desirable ones will be unavailable for what ever reason.

The festivals popularity wasn't at risk in 2014 and it still sold out at Balado. They should have kept the festival as close to there as possible, with good links to a nearby motorway. Putting it in the actual middle of nowhere down a country road then hoping all 70000 festival goers get there no bother was a ridiculous idea, I can't even believe it got the go ahead and that Transport Scotland didn't intervene before the absolute chaos descended and for them to not accept failure on their part is completely unacceptable considering how many people had their weekends ruined.

They have already lost a good number of their regulars because of this and they probably won't go back even if they move it to Balado ot of principal.

DF have arsed numerous things up for various different reasons. However, most of them have been to benefit them financially. This is no different to how it's always been though, it's just more apparent now. They had no option but to move site from Balado because of the safety concerns of the gas pipe running underneath the site so there is no chance of them moving back there. However, of all the options they had for the new site (and I'm led to believe there were a fair few), they picked the cheapest option without taking into consideration the size of the site in relation to the number of attendees, transport links etc.

I do agree that there aren't many headliners out there to choose from now, however there are enough to keep the festival fresh and exciting. Having Calvin Harris headline 2 out of every 3 years is ridiculous. TITP is/was big enough to attract one headliner and tie them to UK exclusivity. They haven't done that. The Springsteen to TITP is the one that gets banded about a lot. I was at a Q&A with Geoff Ellis who said that they were offered Springsteen but there was no demand for him. The guy is a moron. 

Geoff Ellis and most of those at DF are horrible, horrible c***s and this has been coming for a while. They have spent the last 5-10 years under the impression that TITP will sell out just by name alone, and for a couple of years it did, however that has gradually waned and I think the farce of last year was the last straw for a lot of people. The decline of TITP and rise of smaller, boutqiue festivals like Belladrum, Eden, Mugstock etc is no coincidence. Obviously these smaller festivals can only grow up to a certain point, but a lot of people are going to them instead with mid-size headliners who aren't the same every 3/4 years and a far better atmosphere.

So you say "it's the same shite" but who should they be booking instead?

It's a case of either change their market or stick with it. There's no middle ground here. They need to book their festival around who's doing the festivals. Unfortunately it's the same acts who do it year after year. That's a problem T is stuck with.

EDIT: Agree on headliner choice. It's been poor and T has a pull. If there's one area they can pull different acts, it's there.

Would only doing T every 2 years and no band booked same as last time policy help it's popularity?

Most festivals don't book the same acts more than three or four years - there's absolutely no need for T to book the aforementioned Calvin Harris twice in three years.  They've set up to be a Radio 1/parker jacket festival.   

There are plenty of touring bands that T clearly haven't even considered: Car Seat Headrest, Sigur Ros, Ryan Adams, Beach House, Sufjan Stevens are all playing all over the world this summer... just mix it up a bit, have some years where it's more indie heavy, some years with the parker jacket brigade stuff, some years a bit more box of frogs.

It looks to me like it's dying, and it's only dying because they appeal to a very specific market and basically put on the same lineup every year.  They also put minimal effort into ancillary services like catering because they've targeted an audience which is quite happy to drink piss poor weak lager and eat nothing but burgers all weekend.   I'd suggest T is getting the audience numbers it deserves.

And if the Springsteen story is true... that's just an astonishing piece of garbage.

The T line up attracts a specific crowd. I'm not part of that crowd so naturally I reckon the T line ups are generally absolutely dire.

But for a festival like T to resort to BOGOF ticket deals this late in the day is unheard of.

Scotland really needs a festival similar in size and audience to End of the Road.

BallochSonsFan, on 15 Jun 2016 - 12:29, said:

Scotland really needs a festival similar in size and audience to End of the Road.

Not sure what kind of market there is for it. Connect was tremendous. And nobody went and it got cancelled.

Not sure what kind of market there is for it. Connect was tremendous. And nobody went and it got cancelled.

Connect ran for 2 years. It was poorly marketed, poorly organised and the line-up was changed for the 2nd year to ignore the kind of bands that made the first line up so interesting. The venue was also an issue - travel links are generally poor and hotel accomodation in the area is minimal.

Have a similar festival with better transport links, a better venue and more accomodation and it would be a success.

Belladrum has been a well attended festival and everyone I have ever asked has loved it apart from the year it was a wash out. Rockness was great for location and I really hope that gets back on.

throbber, on 15 Jun 2016 - 13:20, said:

Belladrum has been a well attended festival and everyone I have ever asked has loved it apart from the year it was a wash out. Rockness was great for location and I really hope that gets back on.

Belladrum is a totally different thing. Festivals like that won't die out. I reckon T and V are in their final years and probably IOW too. Glasto is the only one left that I can see lasting.

There are plenty of touring bands that T clearly haven't even considered: Car Seat Headrest, Sigur Ros, Ryan Adams, Beach House, Sufjan Stevens are all playing all over the world this summer... just mix it up a bit, have some years where it's more indie heavy, some years with the parker jacket brigade stuff, some years a bit more box of frogs.

The thing is, the acts you mentioned would only appeal to folk who are into music not those who are just looking to get fucked up in a field (which is a large majority of the crowd). The last time I went was 2008 and I vowed never to return. It was clear that the organisers didn't care about the overall experience and packed as many people in as possible to maximise profits. Also, when I was in my teens, TITP was seen as a right of passage and I don't think that's the case now. For a similar cost, you could probably go on one of those lads holidays to Kavos, Zante or Malia (with an increased chance of getting yer hole).

Archived