T in the Park 2016

Ira Gaines

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Poet of the Macabre, on 26 Feb 2016 - 14:27, said:

It's all about what you like though. I am beyond meh towards The Stone Roses so they're not very exciting to me. As for Calvin Harris, tens of thousands go absolutely buts every time he plays so why wouldn't you invite him back?

Think the problem is more that he has now played every year since 2011 bar last year. They could at least have done the double headline thing that they did last year.

I think outside of the headliners, the lineup isn't too bad. The alternatives to the headliners should be decent enough, and there's some interesting stuff in the undercard.

Slaves getting added was a real game changer for me. Huge fan of them, and Download booking some shite US band of the same name didn't help matters any.

Compare absolutely any festival here to Glastonbury on the whole, and you're looking third rate. Nobody else puts on the amount of bands they do, with the varied tastes throughout.

Alesso headlining R1 on the Friday night, with Oliver Heldens, Annie Mac, Hannah Wants and Danny Howard also playing that stage that night. Jamie xx is headlining Tuts that night with Frightened Rabbit in there with them, so I assume that it's a top three on main stage of The Stone Roses, Disclosure and Courteeners. To be fair, that's not too bad especially compared to most major festivals this year.

EDIT: A likely top three of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Faithless and Chase and Status on the Sunday is pretty good as well. The Saturday looks ridiculous in comparison. Calvin Harris subbed by Bastille. What even?

Compare absolutely any festival here to Glastonbury on the whole, and you're looking third rate. Nobody else puts on the amount of bands they do, with the varied tastes throughout.

Alesso headlining R1 on the Friday night, with Oliver Heldens, Annie Mac, Hannah Wants and Danny Howard also playing that stage that night. Jamie xx is headlining Tuts that night with Frightened Rabbit in there with them, so I assume that it's a top three on main stage of The Stone Roses, Disclosure and Courteeners. To be fair, that's not too bad especially compared to most major festivals this year.

EDIT: A likely top three of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Faithless and Chase and Status on the Sunday is pretty good as well. The Saturday looks ridiculous in comparison. Calvin Harris subbed by Bastille. What even?

Partly agree. Glasto can't really be compared to any other festival - pretty much anywhere - because of the sheer size of it. If you can't find three days of entertainment there, you really don't like music.

But Green Man, for example, puts on a consistently better line up than T has. And has been said before, this particular year stinks to high heaven.

That depends on taste though. Festival No 6 will probably cater to me more than this. But T will probably beat all but one of the majors lineup wise. Reading have scrambled and are now winding up with 5 headlining acts.

V's lineup is basically a weaker version of T. Isle of Wight hasn't had a particularly strong lineup for years. Download looks right up my street but again, different audience and market.

T have managed to pick up almost everyone that they have looked to get, and the bands that the others would be looking to get too.

New Order might still be for the Sunday. Arcade Fire isn't an option. Just a couple of dates for them this year in Mainland Europe.

The Cure was never going to happen. Radiohead would have been a good booking though. Unless they're doing what they did last time and just stick to their own shows here.

I've seen New order before but would still go and see them again if they get announced, really like their new album.

I think with The Cure announcing their tour and not having a Scottish date was just wishful thinking to be honest. A couple of my mates are going to NOS and Benicassim, with NOS having both Radiohead and Arcade Fire.

tl;dr: The music scene atm makes it hard for bookers to get lineups that match up to older years and stay fresh. In the past the lineups have been better than they ever will be again.

This'll be my sixth year in a row, and I've always said I'll keep going until I have a shit time. Last year got a bad rap, but other than the journey in/out it was absolutely fine. On the way in you're too buzzin to care and on the way back you're hungover and just sleepwalk through the whole experience.

Line-up wise we've been spoiled in the past. The festival only grew to three days in 2007, and that was at a time when "guitar music" was at a high. New headliner size acts just aren't being produced by the music industry in the UK. They're really pushing Foals to be that band, but there isn't the appetite for it. It leaves the promoters in a catch 22 where they can't keep picking the same bands over and over again but they can't pick a "weak" lineup. Radiohead would have been a great booking but they're not exactly known for being easy to pin down. Its obvious Biffy are going to headline next year after an album release later this year. Coldplay have Hampden Park gigs to sell. Looking through my iTunes I can't find anyone who could feasibly headline the fest who hasn't already. Its no bad thing, I've seen Kasabian 3/5 times I've been at T but each time they've brought new material and each time they've been good enough for me to see again.

The 2011 lineup was ridiculous. There were arguably eight headline size acts that year. Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters, Beyonce, The Strokes, Pulp, Blondie, My Chemical Romance. All headlined other fests that year. How they pulled it off is beyond me, but they were never going to repeat that.

This year I'd say it needs a little fleshing out lower down the bill but its got the makings of a great lineup. The Chilis are an international mega-band. Major Lazer, Alesso, Calvin Harris, Chase and Status are all massive dance acts, and The Stone Roses, Courteeners, Shadow Puppets, Jake Bugg are decent rock acts. Bastille, the 1975, Disclosure, Catfish and Tinie Tempah will keep the Radio 1 kids happy and I assume the Slam tent lineup is alright too, although I confess I've never set foot in the place.

T in the Park has to be diverse, because it has never been genre specific. Its the only major festival in Scotland and so it has to attract people of all ages and fans of all genres.

I like to use T as an opportunity to see things I've never heard of or give acts I previously disliked a chance. You get out what you put in, I've been looking up all the smaller names and have found a few bands I really dig, FIDLAR, Nathanial Ratecliff and Disciples are all excellent.

Archived