T in the Park 2016

Ira Gaines

Sounds like they've messed up a good thing.  

That said, reduced capacity and free travel would both entice me to go were the lineup not so damned insufferable.

Agreed. Think they've realised that the lineup is shocking and are now making a desperate attempt to try and reduce the losses that they will inevitably be making. They've totally arsed up their big events this year and I haven't got one bit of sympathy since its been long overdue.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lineup is no worse than more successful festivals. This has nothing to do with lineups.

Incidentally, this year's isn't bad for a major festival. It's much stronger than every one outside of Glastonbury which is an unfair comparison anyway.

The lineup is no worse than more successful festivals. This has nothing to do with lineups.

Incidentally, this year's isn't bad for a major festival. It's much stronger than every one outside of Glastonbury which is an unfair comparison anyway.

I'm not quite sure I agree. Take the likes of Primavera, NOS and Reading/Leeds as examples of "alternative"-genre major music festivals. Out of those, the standard of lineup is probably similar to R&L (which I think the most people would agree has its worst billing in years) and has been blown out the water by the other two. If TITP is now going for a more "commercial" lineup then one look at V Festival's headliners show that it can't really compete there.

I genuinely don't know who would choose to go to TITP this year, aside from it being the only major Scottish festival and/or going out of habit or being a total "T IN THE PAAAAAARRRRKKKKK" ned. The fact that Belladrum has been selling out progressively quicker over the last couple of years is an indicator of how many people are patching TITP for something with a lineup that has better value for money.

V has a dire lineup below the top line and even there, Rihanna has struggled with her upcoming UK tour.

The Bieber/Sia top two is interesting but the rest? Its not even close. IOW is just gash. Reading and Leeds have a pretty wide demographic and the lineup is a bit weak. One of their headliners is even subbing at T. T have done well for the sort of festival it is. And if they hadn't ballsed it up, I'd have considered it.

• 1 month later...

02 priority are doing buy 1 ticket and get another free for the next couple of days. The line up doesn't appeal to me but for £100 full camping I'll probably get one.

Pretty much confirms the rumours that sales are really poor after last year.  Geoff and the boys are getting desperate

02 priority are doing buy 1 ticket and get another free for the next couple of days. The line up doesn't appeal to me but for £100 full camping I'll probably get a ticket.

Pretty much confirms the rumours that sales are really poor after last year. Geoff and the boys are getting desperate

Yeah. Hope folk take up the offer, it's always better with more folk.

Couple of my bird's pals are coming because of it, which is good cus last year it was me and my pals and her, and she was dragged along to everything I wanted to see and had a bit of a shit time.

Pretty buzzin for this now!!

V has a dire lineup below the top line and even there, Rihanna has struggled with her upcoming UK tour.

The Bieber/Sia top two is interesting but the rest? Its not even close. IOW is just gash. Reading and Leeds have a pretty wide demographic and the lineup is a bit weak. One of their headliners is even subbing at T. T have done well for the sort of festival it is. And if they hadn't ballsed it up, I'd have considered it.

The IOW line-up on the Saturday looks really good IMO. The Who, Richard Ashcroft & Iggy Pop on the main stage, with The Buzzcocks & The Damned on the Big Top. If you could purchase day tickets I'd be having a bit of that.

T have it nailed for the market they're going for.

If ticket sales are poor enough to make them have to offer them buy one get one free, then surely they haven't though? Unless you're implying that the market they're going for is limited?

I think a chart based festival might have run it's course btw, and maybe that's why there isn't a better lineup out there. Download sold a shitload of tickets this year and Reading has been selling very well. The smaller festivals are doing well. Maybe it's just the festival scene that's evolving and T haven't really evolved with it.

T has a real problem with Neds that's what most people talk about when it's up for discussion.

Well, they could attract a different audience by having a slightly less god awful line up. Swings and roundabouts.

It needs a selling point as well tbf. Bestival does well (on an admittedly smaller scale) by marketing itself as a more manageable Glastonbury and always has a wildly diverse lineup. Reading and Leeds does well arguably on its timing around A level results but still struggled for a few years. Glasto is Glasto and Download fans aren't exactly known for their wildly up to date and current tastes so they can bring the same classic acts in and then have a bit of a game changer in WWE hosting a night. T had a market cornered on young Scottish newcomers and the old guard but the former can easily afford to go to Ibiza, abroad or down south for festivals and holidays and the latter bemoan the acts that are headlining nowadays. Be interested to hear what T can do to survive.

I think the drastic change in line ups over the year has more to do with it. 2011 was probably the best I can remember from the past few years, which had a bit of everything for everyone and some massive names topping it. But they've bought into the ned fest aspect of it and started marketing it as the Scottish V festival which has driven away the old duffs who've bought 15 years worth of tickets in a row. More and more of their so called target audience are rightly looking elsewhere at places like creamfields where they can pick and choose from more house music, instead of the other headliners T books whilst pretending it's still a rock festival. Throw in the shambles of last year and it's no surprise they look practically fucked.

I don't know what the deal is with rockness ever coming back but another big music festival in Scotland will probably be the last nail in the coffin IMO

Archived