T in the Park 2016

Ira Gaines

JsUwM9I.jpg

Ok Bowie pulled out but when you look at the line up its not just us old c***s slavering shite saying "it's not what it used to be".

You're right, the lineups were better, in hindsight, but it's due to the music climate. The NME was huge back then and pretty much what they said went. Bands just don't get pushed to the same extent now. Look through that list and there's countless future headliners, not all at T but other festivals. If you look through newer lineups, even though there's great acts at the top, the bands coming through weren't able to break the mainstream.

It got to the stage that Radio 1 and NME were really pushing bands to the next level when they just weren't ready. Two Door Cinema Club and Bombay Bicycle Club were the two I'm thinking of, both pushed as "future headliners" when their sound doesn't merit it. It's a shame but that's the way it is. Nightclubs are the new gigs and djs are the new rockstars.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that anyone will argue that it wasn't different in the old days.

But even if you go a year previous, the lineup was absolutely nowhere near as stacked as that. I was there that year, and looking at 2004 only makes me think "I wish it were that one instead".

Reading and Leeds has had a similar change over a similar timeline as well.

Reading 06, man I watched that whole thing on telly. That was why I fell in love with festivals and I wasn't old enough to go to one for another 4 years.

Still have a video cassette somewhere with a "best bits" of the fest. The Automatic doing Golddigga is on it.

As disappointing as it is, I'm not surprised they went more mainstream. I last went in 2011 when Nick Cave and NIN headlined the NME. Saw both and was some of the smallest crowds at those stages on each day.

Shame Connect died a death. Never went, but line ups were great and would be nice to have a good alternative in Scotland.

2011 is as far as you have to go back to see the shift. The thing is, that was the last time the festival sold out. You'd think that they'd look at that and say "gee, maybe we were doing a good thing with those lineups"

2011 was last time I went and I pretty much every hour had a band I wanted to see. Wanted to go back as my ex fucked that year up for me and the year before all my money got nicked, but none of the line up since have really tempted me.

I always said i would do Glastonbury by the time i was 30 but have never pulled the finger out.

Echo the sentiments about Radiohead as headliners. Kanye and or Jay Z would have been a shout and a welcome change from Calvin fucking Harris.

Kanye West not doing anything here so unavailable. Radiohead likely doing their own tour not long after the summer so not available. Jay-Z doing nothing so unavailable.

You can only really book what's around these days. Only Glastonbury has the sort of pull that can convince other acts to play. Isle of Wight has been able to do so now and again because of the history of that place.

I wasn't meaning this year in particular - just over the years to mix it up a little bit.

I still loved the times i had there and when i was there it was great just to get what was popular i.e. Proclaimers, The View etc. Its just easier to complain about it now I have little interest in going.

As much as you can complain about Calvin Harris, he's the worlds biggest dj (arguably). He's outstanding in his field (pun definitely intended) and comparing him to Avicii when he played, he's so much better.

I can see why he's viewed as a bit shit but in terms of DJs he's a superstar.

2011 was my last T as well.

Saturday line up as a whole was better. Fun Lovin Criminals Tame Impala Vitalic Manics then finishing off with Crystal Castles Leftfield and Primal Scream doing Screamadelica. Brilliant! Even missed The Strokes and Jimmy Eat World because of the clashes ffs!!

Sunday was basically all about the main stage if I mind right - Weezer Pulp & the Foos with a few odds and sods beforehand. Was pissing down for Weezer and i'm sure they covered Paranoid Android that day

Edit - 2004 was great. NME stage was absolutely rammed for Muse as they only had the soddin' Darkness headlining main stage because of Bowie pulling out. Muse were of course fantastic that night. Same year they headlined Glasto but T being T they were on our 2nd stage haha

2011 was a wonderful mix. On the Saturday night when it was shite like Coldplay I just went to the T Break tent after seeing The Xcerts and Jimmy Eat World, think I saw five bands in a row. The Sunday I saw Pulp, so I couldn't give a f**k about the rest, though I do remember 2011 having more depth than 2010 at least.

The first time I went had a day of The Coral, Supergrass, Feeder, The Charlatans and Coldplay. I thought that sounded terrific, but The Charlatans and The Coral were both pretty dull.

Best day at a festival I've ever been to was Gig on the Green 2002. NOFX, Slipknot, The Offspring and The Prodigy all after each other, and all of them class. Opened the day with Biffy Clyro touring their debut and Flogging Molly playing a blinder. The next night it was The White Stripes, Jane's Addiction, Pulp and The Strokes! Although The Strokes weren't exactly the best headliner.

2002 & 2003 were my favourite TITP.s The line-up those weekends were ridiculous, and it was blazing sunshine both weekends which is always a bonus.

I was there in 2002.  It was a disgustingly good lineup then.  Was gutted I couldn't see everyone I wanted to.

Archived