Vinyl - anyone still buy it?

philpy

Flying Tiger in Glasgow have had a few albums in the window anytime I've passed recently. Haven't been able to go in as I've always been working at the time but remember seeing 'Never Mind the Bollocks' and 'Amy Winehouse' along with some others. £15 a pop and a free CD with each purchase.

Didn't do too badly at Grouchos...

Picked up Genesis Live: The Shorts, KICK, And Listen like Thieves both by INXS. So happy with that..

let the missus choose a couple, came away with The BeeGees: Greatest and a Bangles album.

Possibly heading to Broughty Ferry today so will check out Assiai if I can! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2016 at 20:04, 50/50 Winner said:

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll wait a bit longer and spend out on the more expensive set up. I had a look at the Project turntables and Marantz amps online and I think that's what I'll go for. 

I got a Project Carbon last year.  However if I had a complaint it would be that it doesn't have a switch for going between 33 and 45 which means you have to lift the plate (which is bloody heavy) and then manually switch the belt.  This is a bit of a pain in the ass and definitely puts me off playing singles and EPs.

I don't know how much that would affect you but I kind of wish now that I'd paid a bit more for a turntable with that feature.  Pretty sure Project do them but they are the more expensive models. 

I'd also advise to get a turntable with an inbuilt phono stage.  I have numerous old amps with phono inputs but I've not been able to get any one of them to actually work properly requiring me to by a separate phono stage unit. 

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 03:36, Ya Bezzer! said:

I got a Project Carbon last year.  However if I had a complaint it would be that it doesn't have a switch for going between 33 and 45 which means you have to lift the plate (which is bloody heavy) and then manually switch the belt.  This is a bit of a pain in the ass and definitely puts me off playing singles and EPs.

I don't know how much that would affect you but I kind of wish now that I'd paid a bit more for a turntable with that feature.  Pretty sure Project do them but they are the more expensive models. 

I'd also advise to get a turntable with an inbuilt phono stage.  I have numerous old amps with phono inputs but I've not been able to get any one of them to actually work properly requiring me to by a separate phono stage unit. 

Thanks for the advice man, that's pish you can't easily switch between 33 and 45, that's a feature I'd really want to have. It'll take me a couple more pays to save up for a system so I'll have time to do more research.

59 minutes ago, 50/50 Winner said:

Thanks for the advice man, that's pish you can't easily switch between 33 and 45, that's a feature I'd really want to have. It'll take me a couple more pays to save up for a system so I'll have time to do more research.

My neighbours are probably pleased that I don't play my Minor Threat EPs very often!  But I just wanted to say that other than the switch issue my Project Carbon is a very good record player just be aware that it doesn't have that feature.  Tremendous build quality, you might need a crane to get it out the box!

Looks like the Project Carbon Debut Espirit has the 33/45 button but it's quite a wee bit more expensive (about £100) than my Project Carbon Debut DC.

I've got a Rega RP3 and I have to manually change the belt too. It really is no hassle at all! If you have a set budget then a switch should be one of the things that gets jettisoned for the essentials

These manufacturers put all efforts and resources into the best materials for the price so any stuff not absolutely core to the reproduction - like a 33/45 switch - gets binned. I'd much rather have a better tonearm/cartridge, or stiffer brace between tonearm and main bearing where platter sits than a switch that adds more electrical interference 

The more involved we get playing vinyl, the better

I've got a Rega RP3 and I have to manually change the belt too. It really is no hassle at all! If you have a set budget then a switch should be one of the things that gets jettisoned for the essentials

These manufacturers put all efforts and resources into the best materials for the price so any stuff not absolutely core to the reproduction - like a 33/45 switch - gets binned. I'd much rather have a better tonearm/cartridge, or stiffer brace between tonearm and main bearing where platter sits than a switch that adds more electrical interference 

The more involved we get playing vinyl, the better

Good point. My 1985 vintage Linn Sondek LP12 was designed for 33 only but an upgrade gave me 45 adapter requiring removal of platter etc. Bit of a pain but electronic upgrade and other stuff was about 1K!!