Vinyl - anyone still buy it?

philpy

Bought my gf a Free LP for a gift once.

Got it home and played it, must have been very well played in the past as when you play it you can hear the reverse side playing at the same time, backwards. Makes for a pretty far out listen :)

Sounds like the mastertape from which the pressing was made has leaked across tracks. Not explaining it well but read about this year's ago when experienced something similar. Very low level delay of a few seconds on my copy of Yes....Going For The One.

Vinyl, if clean and mint, sounds better than CDs. As it's analogue there is more of the original recording captured on it.

I'm no audio buff but unless you use flac then most MP3 or CDs will have large parts of the music filled in by the digital recording process and mastering.

A well mastered vinyl on a large system is much better than digital, hands down.

I've got vinyls that I've played hundreds of times and apart from the lead in there's no noticeable damage or crackles. Can't say the same about CDs.

Vinyl, if clean and mint, sounds better than CDs. As it's analogue there is more of the original recording captured on it.

I'm no audio buff but unless you use flac then most MP3 or CDs will have large parts of the music filled in by the digital recording process and mastering.

A well mastered vinyl on a large system is much better than digital, hands down.

I've got vinyls that I've played hundreds of times and apart from the lead in there's no noticeable damage or crackles. Can't say the same about CDs.

What are you doing to your CDs that they're damaged and crackling?   :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Was down in Hebden Bridge on Wednesday & they have a wee market, only 4 rows of stalls but 3 of the stalls sold records, I bought some Northern Soul 7"ers. All the money mind.

Grimbo

Don't know If you know grimbo, but there's a record fair on at ocean terminal on the last weekend of this month, from the Friday to the Sunday.

Is it any good, I went to one in town ages back & it was basically just a shop. Major disappointment.

Grimbo

The resurgence in vinyl is nothing more than record companies cashing in on a niche market. The small vinyl section in hmv is reminiscent of the small cd sections in record shops when CDs started becoming popular in the early eighties. And the prices for vinyl are ridiculous. Twenty pounds for an album that's forty years old ? It's much nicer to look at and hold but a quality CD player will sound better and won't have background cracks and pops

For years I collected 2nd hand vinyl but didn't have a working record player.  Got one a Debut Carbon about a 6 months ago and I was amazed at how clean 40 year old albums sound on good quality equipment. 

And I disagree about CDs sounding better.  Obviously if a record is scratched to f**k it will sound bad but good clean vinyl sounds significantly better than CDs.  The sound off vinyl just has more body to it.

Anyone looking for vinyl could do a lot worse than checking out the British Heart Foundation shop in Alloa at the moment. There's a lot of albums in right now, all priced between 50p to £3, and there's literally hundreds more boxed up in the back waiting to go out, if you ask to look at them. A lot of the typical James Last and Mantovani type stuff, but there's also quite a bit of quality Seventies/Eighties albums from folk like Michael Jackson, Rod Stewart, ABBA, Genesis, etc. Quite a lot look to be in good nick; clean discs that have obviously been well taken care of.

Sorry for the plug, but it seems relevant. If anyone's after anything in particular, I can take a look and let you know if it's worth the trip.

For years I collected 2nd hand vinyl but didn't have a working record player. Got one a Debut Carbon about a 6 months ago and I was amazed at how clean 40 year old albums sound on good quality equipment.

And I disagree about CDs sounding better. Obviously if a record is scratched to f**k it will sound bad but good clean vinyl sounds significantly better than CDs. The sound off vinyl just has more body to it.

I used to think that about vinyl until I got a decent CD player which can have just as much body as a record deck. I guess which sounds best is subjective anyway and will always depend on the listeners preferences

There was a stall at Saltcoats market yesterday selling cds and records. Reasonable prices on the vinyl and worth a vusit for anyone in the area.

I've met that guy at the last Bellahouston record fair. Was selling much of his stock for a fiver a go and it was in fair quality.

I remember him telling me that he did a market stall as well as doing the fairs. On another note, the next VIP Events fair is in Bellahouston on 04/06/16

Any Clash, Pistols ?

We had a copy of The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle, and one Clash album that I didn't immediately recognise (so, not London Calling). I'll take a look when I'm in on Friday and let you know.

Picked up some good 2nd hand stuff yesterday.

All original pressings and in great condition

Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food

Guadalcanal Diary - Walking In The Shadow Of The Big Man

Prefab Sprout - Langley Park To Memphis

Steely Dan - The Royal Scam

£5 each.

We had a copy of The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle, and one Clash album that I didn't immediately recognise (so, not London Calling). I'll take a look when I'm in on Friday and let you know.

I'm rebuilding my Smiths & Morrissey if you see any vinyls BigSlimTabbyDave, losing that beard as knocked 10 years off you.

Grimbo

Clash and Pistols are gone, along with a few others. No Smiths/Morrissey, Grimbo, so you'll have to do your Christmas shopping for our Dundonian posters elsewhere   :(

Having had a quick glance, we've still got maybe 50-100 halfway decent LPs that seem in good nick. Elton John, Rod Stewart, Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry, ELO, Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson, ABBA, the Kinks, Eurythmics, Eric Clapton...all I can remember for now. Priced between 50p to £3 each. Lots of Scottish country dance vinyl too, if that's your thing, and a few 78s. Plus the usual fine selection of Mantovani and James Last that you find in every charity shop   :P

For years I collected 2nd hand vinyl but didn't have a working record player.  Got one a Debut Carbon about a 6 months ago and I was amazed at how clean 40 year old albums sound on good quality equipment. 

And I disagree about CDs sounding better.  Obviously if a record is scratched to f**k it will sound bad but good clean vinyl sounds significantly better than CDs.  The sound off vinyl just has more body to it.

There's also the fact some songs from the pre-digital era were ruined when recut for CD.

Classic example is the old Siouxsie & the Banshees single "Fireworks", which acquired a loud thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump all the way through thanks to the tit of an engineer deciding that the bass drum needed to be enhanced for today's audiences. Completely ruined it - thankfully I digitised it myself from the original vinyl & it sounds perfect.