Vinyl - anyone still buy it?

philpy

After Doolittle and Harvest, I took a wee trip down to HMV. Don't hate me, I won some vouchers, in the work.

Anyway. I have just bought The War On Drugs: Lost In The Dream and Mick Head & The Strands; Magical World Of.

Mick Head & The Strands: Magical World Of, nice purchase from none other than HMV big man!

I'm heading over to Ayr tomorrow and the record shop is on my list. Save me a bit of Googling, where is it exactly? The shop in Kilwinning (Rare Trade) seems to be doing well. Only been in once when i was short on time but seemed a bit messy and a tad expensive. I'll visit again when i have more time though.

Turn right at bottom of the high street and it's a few doors along before the bridge.

One of the massive regrets I have in life is chucking all my LP's/ singles away when I moved out my mum and dads. Thought they were going the way of the dodo and they didn't belong in my new "trendy" flat and didn't have a turntable so out they went. So, so regret it.

Anyhow was having a wee browse in HMV last week and started checking out the vinyl. Felt so good to actually have a record in my hand again, able to turn it over and see Side 1 and Side 2. Bit expensive tho - £17.99 for The Queen Is Dead.

Seriously thinking about getting a turntable now.

At a gig last night. Headliner had 2 vinyl albums on the merch stand. Normally expect to pay £20 for vinyl from a merch stand. £40 in my wallet so fancied getting both. How much? £25 each.

Its idiotic. At £20 a pop I'd have bought both lps. Still bought 1 but I'll now buy the other from Amazon (nobody else will stock them). I'd rather buy direct at a gig but that was too pricey. £25 from the band's merch stand? Crazy.

At a gig last night. Headliner had 2 vinyl albums on the merch stand. Normally expect to pay £20 for vinyl from a merch stand. £40 in my wallet so fancied getting both. How much? £25 each.

Its idiotic. At £20 a pop I'd have bought both lps. Still bought 1 but I'll now buy the other from Amazon (nobody else will stock them). I'd rather buy direct at a gig but that was too pricey. £25 from the band's merch stand? Crazy.

Were they signed copies? It would have to be if I was forking out £25 for a record and they would need to throw a signed set list in too.

Were they signed copies? It would have to be if I was forking out £25 for a record and they would need to throw a signed set list in too.

Nope.

And f**k me if the one I bought isn't £15 or there abouts on Amazon. The one I didn't? £30.

Mild-mannered, soft-voiced b*****ds.

One of the massive regrets I have in life is chucking all my LP's/ singles away when I moved out my mum and dads. Thought they were going the way of the dodo and they didn't belong in my new "trendy" flat and didn't have a turntable so out they went. So, so regret it.

Anyhow was having a wee browse in HMV last week and started checking out the vinyl. Felt so good to actually have a record in my hand again, able to turn it over and see Side 1 and Side 2. Bit expensive tho - £17.99 for The Queen Is Dead.

Seriously thinking about getting a turntable now.

My vinyl budget is £30 a week, you can get 2 for that usually. In a year, you have 100 LPs.

Bought a new Project Debut Carbon last week as well. Getting a hum off the left speaker when the amp is on phono. It's not too bad but I would prefer if it wasn't there as it is intrusive on quieter tracks.

Think it might be a wiring problem (amp has 2 speaker connectors for L and R and I think one might be connected to L1 and the other to R2 instead of L1 and R1) so after tearing out my old separates system and putting this one in, I'm going to have to pull it out again and fiddle about back there which is a pain in the ass.

Going up to Grouchos in Dundeh the morn Ken!!?

Listening to Brothers in Arms LP. Immense.

Their first album on vinyl is top quality. I used to take it to hifi shops when auditioning new gear. You can hear every separate instrument in great detail.

Where's best to sell vinyl is it just a case of stick it on eBay and hope for the best? I think I've got some pretty decent 90's stuff that people might like. Just curious and would sell for the right price

What kind of 90s mate? Rock? Pop? Dance? Rnb?

Anything that was in nme is about the best way to describe it. Gatefold screamadelica, Monday's stone roses 12 " charlatans inspirals Radiohead creep 12 " first 5 suede 12 inches some American stuff too buffalo Tom, lemon heads blind melon NIN Rollins band swerve driver mega city 4 Carter neds senseless things then oasis. A bit of everything except r n b. I'm a strictly r n b free zone

I sold all my vinyl off on eBay about 10-15 years ago, except for a couple that I couldn't find digital copies of. Was very happy with the money I received; it's always nice to receive £30 for an album you paid 99p for back in the day. A lot depends on condition, but if you're going down the auction route, I'd recommend having a think about the minimum you'd be happy to let each one go for and start at that price to avoid regrets.

I know there isn't as much money to be made in certain eBay categories now because everybody's selling on there - is vinyl still as profitable on eBay as it was back at the turn of the century?

Thanks for advice BFTD. I don't do eBay anyway. I'll probably just hang onto it to be honest. A lot of memories attached it's just I was clockin some vinyl pages online that suggested I could get a hunner quid for the gatefold screamadica and 25 quid for the Radiohead and I'd sell at those prices because I've never got over not selling my unused nirvana ticket for 300 dollars. If I had that chance again I'd bite his hand off

I've got a couple of stanton decks couldn't afford the 1210's, built up a small collection of dance records, before the costs got too much and I had to switch to digital..

My favourite record is probably the chicken twist. A 20 minute swing blues effort.