The BBC and Scottish Football

In what way? They could cover it a bit better at lower levels - we get far bigger crowds than Cowden but never get a mention for example.

1) They could start by providing Open All Mics and AFAIK the bulk of their Saturday live coverage to users out of the UK. Whatever 'licensing' reason they hide behind would be resolved by absolute pennies in any broadcasting deal - it's not as if users abroad would be regularly commuting to games, and BBC Scotland didn't have such a ridiculous system in the past. It was definitely available in 2010 and probably also in 2012-13. The BBC go out their way to make it awkward, time-consuming and irritating for anyone to retain an interest in Scottish football if they're not living between Stornoway and Berwick. That's not a credible policy.

2) They could provide a credible TV package, both in terms of highlights and live coverage, for the second tier of the game. Football is Scotland's national game and overwhelmingly dominant in terms of live audience at matches, sponsorship and media interest. Instead BBC coverage pays for dross like athletics and the Women's World Cup on its main channels, while shunting the Scottish Championship to a teuchter channel instead, and packaging 'Rangers and Hibs highlights' on Sportscene while they pray for their ideal order to be arranged next season.

That's far from an exhaustive analysis, and yet its clear that the BBC provide nothing close to reasonable coverage of the Scottish game.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. Two top flight games to cover today. Wotherspoon scores a goal which has rightly been voted as one of the best in the UK today by SSN.

Bbc coverage?

Wotherspoon scores with right footed shot from edge of the area.

:lol:

I'd be very interested to know, incidentally, a comparison of BBC Scotland's sport programming budget, or however they number-crunch the total, radio, TV and online coverage, as a share of the BBC Sport budget, and Scotland's share of the licence-paying audience. Does anyone think that, even excluding the obvious EPL TV highlights expense, Scottish football coverage receives the funds anticipated for its dominant position for a substantial portion of licence fee players? It's a toughie.

Please cite 'live coverage of English pub teams playing in the FA Cup First Round' in any argument.

Yup. Two top flight games to cover today. Wotherspoon scores a goal which has rightly been voted as one of the best in the UK today by SSN.

Bbc coverage?

Wotherspoon scores with right footed shot from edge of the area.

:lol:

I can only assume you're referring to the description of the goal on the BBC's live text page, for which Opta is responsible: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/24067715

Then again after seeing the description of both his goals on the actual BBC/Opta updates page I'd then assume you're referring to the "Live Text" page which is similar to the English equivalent in name only, and I'd agree with you. The Scottish-centric live pages are an absolute travesty and scarcely necessary when you compare them to the English ones. Then again the English ones these days always seem to resemble some BBCSporf effort so maybe we should be thankful.

I'd be very interested to know, incidentally, a comparison of BBC Scotland's sport programming budget, or however they number-crunch the total, radio, TV and online coverage, as a share of the BBC Sport budget, and Scotland's share of the licence-paying audience. Does anyone think that, even excluding the obvious EPL TV highlights expense, Scottish football coverage receives the funds anticipated for its dominant position for a substantial portion of licence fee players? It's a toughie.

Please cite 'live coverage of English pub teams playing in the FA Cup First Round' in any argument.

Pretty sure there was a stat somewhere a few months ago that one Lionesses game in the summer cost as much as the entire Scottish football budget for the year. Even if that's false I'd have no doubt that the amount spent on the women's world cup at least was comparable to a season of Scottish coverage.

Either way the answer to your question is, er, no.

What about the circle-wanking over Salford City against The Dog and Duck FC though; surely the BBC had similar coverage of East Kilbride v Stenhousemuir today? What with being a supposed public broadcaster and all, rather than a commercial body, whose supposed purpose then is to provide content not commercially viable. But only if it's in England, or involves a diddy sport, seemingly.

It's two separate points...1.The budget BBC 'Scotland' is given and 2. How they spend it.

Whilst 1. is shocking 2. is an utter disgrace, the cash being used to fund and promote two clubs built on and actively promoting bigotry whilst simultaneously undermining the rest of Scottish football.

The latter is the real problem as I expect a bigger budget would just be spent on an even more disproportionate coverage of the bigot brothers. Like the game itself, until there is a complete change of mindset from the BBC's key decision makers nothing will ever change.

I have to agree with that there is little to no coverage of the Scottish Cup compared to the FA Cup until the forth round where they get their chance to put Celtic or Rangers on TV which we know they all love. Don't know why they couldn't even show any highlights of third round games.

Salford City beating Notts County is the same amount of tiers apart from LTHV beating Montrose or East Kilbride beating Stenhousemuir but one is the best thing since sliced bread and the other two are non-existent.

attachicon.gifseco.jpg

Maybe the BBC should rename the Championship the Sevco League.

Every fucking story about the bigot tribe

That is horrific. As I mentioned in another thread they seem to have given up on pretence of caring about anyone else.

I'd be very interested to know, incidentally, a comparison of BBC Scotland's sport programming budget, or however they number-crunch the total, radio, TV and online coverage, as a share of the BBC Sport budget, and Scotland's share of the licence-paying audience.

Anything branded as "BBC Sport Scotland" doesn't come out of the BBC Sport budget. It comes out of the BBC Scotland budget, which (like the Barnett Forumla) is adjusted to account for "UK-wide programming".

What that means in practice is that BBC Scotland is forced to pay a part of all English rights before it can even consider bidding for its own nation's rights (and pay 100% of the cost from its own budget).

I've suggested before a truly federal BBC. All licence fee revenue from a single nation stays in that nation to be spent however they wish (within the PSB framework defined by the charter(s)). Each nation would make its own programmes which would then be available to the other nations using a to-be-decided formula to calculate the cost (something loosely based on expected viewers).

Radio and online i think we get a good service its the TV that's absolutely honking.

Watched Salford v Hartlepool on the beeb last night. Infinitely better standard of coverage than you get for the game up here And then there's MOTD vs spurtscene.

Richard Gordon told me 4 years ago that everything was being ripped out from under them, and that seems to have come to pass. Between 2000 - 2009 there was actually a decent radio & online service.

I'd be interested to know the budget difference between BBC sport Scotland and BBC Alba (which I think is over £12 million from Scottish government).

Last week Alba had the resources to cover four games over the weekend, three on the same day. They had a live match at Rangers/St Mirren, had extensive one hour highlights from Motherwell/Hearts and Aberdeen/Ross County, then showed the Scotland/Macedonia women's game live on the Sunday.

I'm sure the rights to these games were pretty cheap, it's more about the budget to actually staff these games.

Pretty sure there was a stat somewhere a few months ago that one Lionesses game in the summer cost as much as the entire Scottish football budget for the year. Even if that's false I'd have no doubt that the amount spent on the women's world cup at least was comparable to a season of Scottish coverage.

Either way the answer to your question is, er, no.

Dont think it was even that one england game cost more....pretty sure that it was each individual match shown even the total diddy matches that was more expensive than the cash paid to scottish football as a whole....bbc coverage is totally woeful....heck even when they throw cash at it the result is awful....ian wright on motd ffs. Probably paid a fortune to bring zero insight at all....absolutely nothing other than to make viewers feel better about their one intellect....

I have to agree with that there is little to no coverage of the Scottish Cup compared to the FA Cup until the forth round where they get their chance to put Celtic or Rangers on TV which we know they all love. Don't know why they couldn't even show any highlights of third round games.

Salford City beating Notts County is the same amount of tiers apart from LTHV beating Montrose or East Kilbride beating Stenhousemuir but one is the best thing since sliced bread and the other two are non-existent.

Good points, AMC13.

The BBC will say that they'e investing in women's football coverage to increase public awareness - increased coverage will generate increased interest. The fact that they don't consider doing the same with Scotland's non-OF (as-was) clubs is inconsistent. Deliberately so.

ETA: Sorry, the main point about spending on Rangers/Celtic is actually from 7-2.

Good points, AMC13.

The BBC will say that they'e investing in women's football coverage to increase public awareness - increased coverage will generate increased interest. The fact that they don't consider doing the same with Scotland's non-OF (as-was) clubs is inconsistent. Deliberately so.

ETA: Sorry, the main point about spending on Rangers/Celtic is actually from 7-2.

This is an excellent point, There is no serious attempt to promote our game.

The deferring to the OF is an age-old gripe. How does TV money work - is it just the clubs being shown that get the fee?

Archived