How can there be so many shit footballers?

paranoid android

When fans talk about players, whether it's from the team they support, or other clubs, it's often said that 'player X is shite', etc.

Now, most players have been playing football for years, are very fit and healthy, and train regularly.

So, how can it be that so many professional footballers are just, well...pish?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When fans talk about players, whether it's from the team they support, or other clubs, it's often said that 'player X is shite', etc.

Now, most players have been playing football for years, are very fit and healthy, and train regularly.

So, how can it be that so many professional footballers are just, well...pish?

Try asking Burton O'Brien. A guy who, despite not doing something noticeable for at least five years, has managed to enjoy a pretty decent career.

They aren't pish. Professional footballers will have been the best player in their area/year at school etc. If you put them in an amateur or junior setting they'd look outstanding. It's when playing against other players of a similar standard that they begin to cancel each other out, get less time on the ball etc etc

Try asking Burton O'Brien. A guy who, despite not doing something noticeable for at least five years, has managed to enjoy a pretty decent career.

Sometimes going unnoticed is a good thing. Don't get me wrong I'm not bobos biggest fan but he can play really good passes. I'd say he's average at best but a class player who goes unnoticed that springs to mind for me is Alex song.

They aren't pish. Professional footballers will have been the best player in their area/year at school etc. If you put them in an amateur or junior setting they'd look outstanding. It's when playing against other players of a similar standard that they begin to cancel each other out, get less time on the ball etc etc

This is pretty much my point - however much fans will label players as shite. etc, they can't actually be shit, can they?

Wondered myself many times how certain folk make it to 1st team football.

Watching some of them gives me hope I'm no actually that bad.

What gets me is when I watch a professional footballer have several attempts at a cross and hit the 1st defender even time.

Or when a defender finds himself with the ball at his feet in the opponents box and hit the corner flag.

The commentator will inevitably say "a typical defenders finish"

Really? Kicking the ball towards the goal is an art is it?

Wondered myself many times how certain folk make it to 1st team football.

Watching some of them gives me hope I'm no actually that bad.

What gets me is when I watch a professional footballer have several attempts at a cross and hit the 1st defender even time.

Or when a defender finds himself with the ball at his feet in the opponents box and hit the corner flag.

The commentator will inevitably say "a typical defenders finish"

Really? Kicking the ball towards the goal is an art is it?

And they don't seem to be able to roll a simple five-yard pass - it's mental.

This is clearly the case to anyone who isn't a moron. Anyone who actually thinks that a professional player is pish (in the sense that they aren't any better than non-professionals) is an idiot.

Also I think the game is much faster than it looks. I used to wonder how a top player could mistime a tackle. Then somebody taped our regular fives game and it was slower than a week in Dingwall.

Or one time we were waiting to get on the pitch and some semi serious 5's players challenged us for 10 mins and they were pinging it around faster than we could even watch :lol:

Clearly they must be at a certain level but you do watch some players over their first few games for the club and think f^ckin hell, who's watched this guy and decided he would be a good addition to the squad!!?? Do they see something that the ordinary punter just doesn't get!?

Or one time we were waiting to get on the pitch and some semi serious 5's players challenged us for 10 mins and they were pinging it around faster than we could even watch :lol:

Was that the first time you met Cammy?

Got first hand experience as to why professional footballers are just streets ahead of any other level; it's the speed they play and general footballing intelligence that other levels don't possess. You don't have to be technically gifted to pass a non-professional team off the park.

Played against ex-united player Jamie McCunnie in a game of fives; myself and some of the guys on my team are decent amateur players but McCunnie and his pals (although way older) were so much faster in moving the ball about and positioning themselves. Got about 25 goals put past us.

This is pretty much my point - however much fans will label players as shite. etc, they can't actually be shit, can they?

Well they're comparatively shite. You wouldn't shout 'you're actually quite good compared to most people, but compared to other professional players playing at the same level as you, you're not very good at football'. It's not very catchy.

Yeah its obviously being spouted in relative terms, anyone who thinks we're comparing players to our fat mate who plays 5s is an idiot

Archived