Only an Excuse?

I remember listening to the original on the radio, seemed fresh and different with loads of stuff from all over Scottish football, not just the old firm, was also very funny. so out of some misplaced nostalgia, I tried to watch the latest one on catch up, never got as far as the Strachan sketch, turned it off after 10 minutes or so. had a conversation with the wean as I switched it off, I said "it's just terrible, still doing frank mcavennie sketches that were funny a couple of times 20 odd years ago" the wean replied "who??" seemed to sum the programme up.

was past it's sell buy date years ago, they really need to call it a day.

Here's a fact for you, OAE hasn't been funny, topical or credible since Tony Roper left the setup IMO!!!

TONY ROPER HAS NEVER BEEN IN A TELEVISED EDITION OF OAE!!!!

Don't know why but I found that amazing, he wasn't even in the early ones, so with the first one being aired in 1995 this show is now TWENT-ONE (21) years past its sell by date!!!

4 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Here's a fact for you, OAE hasn't been funny, topical or credible since Tony Roper left the setup IMO!!!

TONY ROPER HAS NEVER BEEN IN A TELEVISED EDITION OF OAE!!!!

Don't know why but I found that amazing, he wasn't even in the early ones, so with the first one being aired in 1995 this show is now TWENT-ONE (21) years past its sell by date!!!

Yes he has. It was first on tv in 1993 and he was on it. I distinctly remember him doing Fergus McCann amongst others. 

For some reason IMDB only lists the first episode as being broadcast on 31/12/95, but on closer inspection it states that that was the third episode!!!

Your description of Fergus McCann does ring a bell and I'm pretty sure he did Alex Ferguson as well, it's wierd it's like there is no record of these potentially two Tony Roper episodes on record, maybe Roper saw the writing on the wall pretty early and buried his involvement knowing the shiteness that was to come!!!

Yes he has. It was first on tv in 1993 and he was on it. I distinctly remember him doing Fergus McCann amongst others. 

There's a 1994 World Cup special on YouTube that features Tony Roper

16 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

For some reason IMDB only lists the first episode as being broadcast on 31/12/95, but on closer inspection it states that that was the third episode!!!

Your description of Fergus McCann does ring a bell and I'm pretty sure he did Alex Ferguson as well, it's wierd it's like there is no record of these potentially two Tony Roper episodes on record, maybe Roper saw the writing on the wall pretty early and buried his involvement knowing the shiteness that was to come!!!

Roper was the better of the two of them for sure. 

Think it's just popular to shit on the program now. It's a wee light hearted bit of fun and nowadays everyone is a critic with something to say about it. It's not always or as good as it used to be hilarious but I do think people should just take it for what it is.

The lack of actual characters to rip off in Scottish football these days isn't helping with new material though.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

It was still light years better than Citizen Khan.

Or Bob Servant or Mountain Goats, but then again that would not be much of an achievement

Think it's just popular to shit on the program now. It's a wee light hearted bit of fun and nowadays everyone is a critic with something to say about it. It's not always or as good as it used to be hilarious but I do think people should just take it for what it is.
The lack of actual characters to rip off in Scottish football these days isn't helping with new material though.

There's never been a better time to satirise scottish football! A vaguely competent comedy writer could manager 6 one hr episodes a week with the material generated by our game.....this shower can't raise a laugh despite having a whole year to do one show. It would have been killed off years ago if it was on a commercial channel. Licence fee money is wasted on this rubbish.

13 hours ago, GiGi said:

Nonsense. There are the same amount of characters to rip off, it's exactly the same situation as it was years ago.

The only time they've attempted to actually move on with the show over the past ten years has been when they've reference a couple of Old Firm characters (apart from a rare Danny Lennon appearance). Derek Adams could have potentially been a very good character (the Jamie Hamill incident was gold) and right now, I imagine Wright, Foran and Hartley would are distinctive enough that there could have been something working them in that could have worked.

I've heard the whole 'well it's not easy to write' crap about the show for a while now. This forum could produce a better script than the crap that they come up with in a few pages of contributions. The characters that were seen as amusing in the show previously were mostly given those attributes by the writers and the portrayals - not the other way around.

In the last twelve months, a very quick few things I can remember happening without research that could have had potential amusement:

• Gavin Gunning storming off with the ball
  • Funny crying United man
  • 'what's the fucking point of training'
  • Raging Killie fan trying to fight Lee Miller (and in general - raging Killie fan)
  • McInnes interview seethe
  • Rangers players claiming their players were assaulted and Lee Wallace in terror (despite a stadium full of hundreds of cameras from the worlds media pointed towards the pitch and 50,000 mobile phones)
  • Sky's f**k up with the Lincoln Red Imps team
  • Thistle mascot
  • Boyd V Cathro

I'm sure that could be added to quite substantially with a few minutes of thought.

13 hours ago, GiGi said:

There`s some truth in taking it for what it is and realising that it`s meant to appeal to those who aren`t football fans. I quite enjoyed it but as others have said with just a little thought it could be so much better. There are loads of characters and issues that are an open goal for some humour. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

All of the above would be great but it's clear he either doesn't watch football at all or has very little interest in trying new material. Perhaps trying to be safe to hold on to their spot, or not needing to progress as they know everyone still watches it anyway.

The original radio show was broadcast at a time of fanzine culture. There was a higher standard of humorous writing about football at that time I think most clubs had a fanzine, and it had to be as good as the fanzines, and display a good knowledge about Scottish Football as a whole. Now it just panders to lazy stereotypes of Old Firm fans and hackneyed jokes. It has deteriorated in sync with the way football coverage has deteriorated in this country