Only an Excuse?

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Enjoying this but it's so Rangers/Celtic/Sevco focused. The old clips are decent but almost all the 2020 clips are pish (McAvennie pants on the puss was funny mind).

There's so much, every single year, that can be done with Scottish football across all the divisions. To focus it on two particular teams each year and to continue to shoehorn in the same irrelevant characters is just lazy and the main reason why this show is ending.

That’s true, but when Rangers were going through their ‘peak banter years’ stage and you could have got a 12 episode series from the stuff coming out of Ibrox alone, it was still the usual sketches he’d done for years.  

I quite enjoyed that, the old clips were a reminder that it was actually quite funny at one point, but also how much it has dropped off. Probably should've chucked it years ago, as others have said Scottish football can be a bit of a patter goldmine, which OAE has somehow completely missed the mark on for years.

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

That’s true, but when Rangers were going through their ‘peak banter years’ stage and you could have got a 12 episode series from the stuff coming out of Ibrox alone, it was still the usual sketches he’d done for years.  

He's a huge Sevco fan though so would never have done that.

6 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

That was when it was obvious it should have been taken out the back and shot. They absolutely shat themselves that year.

I relatively enjoyed that - but it was a best of over 27ish years.  There's so much more that can be done with Scottish football. The only disappointing thing is that there'll be no attempt at Scottish football comedy on Hogmanay from now on - and that's sad. The reality is - There's not been any for many a year.

Jean Johansson is an absolutely vile human being, a Sevconian without the bus fare from the Port who tried - and utterly failed - to defend the honour of her useless husband against the big, bad Morton fanbase who wanted him out for being fucking useless.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I relatively enjoyed that - but it was a best of over 27ish years.  There's so much more that can be done with Scottish football. The only disappointing thing is that there'll be no attempt at Scottish football comedy on Hogmanay from now on - and that's sad. The reality is - There's not been any for many a year.

I know Burnistoun isn’t every ones cup of tea, but I think the two of them would be able to come up with some good stuff. Both of them football fans as well. 

I remember when I was an apprentice standing in work with another boy watching this sketch, absolutely pishing ourselves at it. 

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

Jean Johansson is an absolutely vile human being, a Sevconian without the bus fare from the Port who tried - and utterly failed - to defend the honour of her useless husband against the big, bad Morton fanbase who wanted him out for being fucking useless.

Wid

That definitely provided a reminder of how good it could and used to be. Some of the older clips were excellent. Agree not enough Roper though, and disappointing he wasn’t interviewed too.