Sons versus queens

optimistic

There's no difference between going down easily and diving. They both mean the player goes to ground when he doesn't need to

I agree. In either case, the player is trying to con the referee into believing that he'd been knocked to the ground by illegal means.

I hate hearing guys like Billy Dodds and Andy Walker saying that if they felt contact, they went down. Contact is allowed. It doesn't in itself constitute a foul.

When a player falls without it being necessary, it's diving, whether there's been contact or not.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in my 40 odd years supporting qosfc i have never seen a worse team than the queens team today . no pride no passion no ideas . some of the players dont deserve to wear the queens shirt . i would give my all to play for queen of the south . simply not good enough . dumfries until i die

Oh FFS.

If that`s true you must have been incredibly selective in the games you have gone too.

Whatever qualities we would care to look at at be it ability, passion, effort, tactics, structure or whatever it would need a multi-page seperate thread for regular QOS fans to even begin to scratch the surface of shit QOS teams we have seen.

Clearly you are entitled to your opinion, but really??

If he's been a Queens fan for 40 years, he'll have seen a great many Queens sides that were much worse than this pretty mediocre one.

Now! I know you are hurting and have probably consumed alcohol when you posted, but that is just not even close to being true.

My first game was January 65 . Many of the teams in the 80's and 90's especially were much worse than todays

Indeed.

Rather than focus on the embarrassing antics of Russell I'd prefer we focus on the positives of a good result for us. Although I agree with much of what Moonster says the players deserve credit for the application and determination that's been missing from too many previous games this season.

Credit to Fleming for taking the two chances at fell his way, he worked hard and deserved the applause he got when subbed. Also a far better performance from Gall, with the usual consistency we've come to expect from Wright. Also thought Saunders had a good game and we limited Queens to a handful of chances by some robust defending. I thought Queens most dangerous player was Oliver, and although his end product wasn't great I feel Docherty deserves credit for marshalling him well and limiting his effectiveness on the game.

I remain unconvinced by Cawley. Some may be convinced that a few step overs constitute a good performance but he is far too wasteful in possession, a trait that cost us the first goal last week and nearly cost us yesterday.

Hopefully a decent away day in the next round. Lothian Thistle or Linlithgow/Forfar for me please. Keep the bigger boys for the next round....!

Dumfries Blue

No wonder our crowds are dropping so disappointingly at Dumfries - if you and any others think this team is the worst in 40 years you must be suffering from either a serious memory loss or have seen football of a standard hat I must have missed.

Yesterday was not nearly as bad as is being portrayed. We dominated most of that - 60% possession, more corners, more chances, had Dumbarton defending for their lives for spells. The problem thst we have in sbundance is a lack of goals in the team. Midfield players that never get ahead of the ball and keep playing safe square balls (Millar excepted) and players further forward like Harris and Oliver who do not show composure when they get a chance. The coaching stff should be working relentlessly on Oliver's finishing because he has the ability to make thst vital yard inthe box.

Worst team in 40 years?? Our league position would contend that it is one of our best teams despite a disappointing campaign.

Fair points monster , Jordan . We don't really go for possession . Yesterday queens had lots of the ball in first half but no shots on target. We tend not to hold the ball knocking it about . In first 20 mins we had actually a few chances.even Alloa at times bossed possession in recent games.I suppose it comes down to style of play and players capability to retain the ball

I'd disagree we didn't play well.

The defence were solid, I thought Buchanan done well coming back into the squad after a while on the bench. The midfield passed the ball well, neat in possession with some really nice passing moves. Lindsay really is a cracking player to watch. Cawley was guilty of losing possession, something he seriously needs to work on.

I thought our game plan was pretty clear, move the ball forward quickly, catch them out. We did, and scored two well worked goals by employing that tactic. We restricted them to shots from tight angles etc and I think our defence contributed greatly to the likes of Oliver and Russell having off days.

It was a battling performance, no doubt about it, but some of the passing yesterday was as tidy as you'll see from a part-time side. I thought rather than slowly lumber up the park we moved it quick and direct for a change. The first a defence splitting through ball, the second coming from a long ball upfield, good to see variety.

My gripe is with conceding a soft goal like that. Another stupid blunder and we're lucky it didn't cost us.

Incredible to think that the phrase "best performance I've seen from Russell in a Queens shirt" was being used just last week. Sums not only him up, but the entire season really.

No qualms with Dumbarton fans milking it, his first half meltdown must have been glorious viewing considering he is usually such a threat against them. However for us to focus on Russell alone when there was so much wrong with that performance would be unfair. Not to defend Russell, he was a disgrace and should have been hooked after 20 minutes.

Hutton, Marshall and Millar the only players to come out of that with any credit I think. Perhaps Lyle who tried but was very isolated. We should be using his experience to aide our future strike force and perhaps bring him on for the last half hour if we need a goal or a more direct approach. The fact we rely on him so heavily is deeply concerning to me.

Gary Oliver can just f**k off as far as I'm concerned. It was almost as if he was deliberately choosing the wrong option every single time. Why it took until around the 75th minute for us to test a clearly flappy goalkeeper on a wet pitch with a shot from distance is anyone's guess. If I was Fowler I would have suggested a shoot on sight policy because we were struggling to get in behind the solid back line of Dumbarton and our only real chances came from corners.

I've commented on this before but I think once again we were weakened by Fowler's substitutions rather than improved. His "Champ Man" theory of chucking on attacking players and hoping for the best is naive. I've no idea what the system was meant to be once Harris and Pickard took to the field, and I suspect it was the same for the players. I know it was a cup game and we were "going for broke" (not that it showed in the player's attitude) but I thought removing our only ball winner in Jacobs with 20 minutes to go was daft. It doesn't matter how many attacking players you have on the field if there's no one to give them the ball. Harris must have been on the field ten minutes before he had his first touch of the ball. Not exactly an impact sub.

That game was arguably the most important of the season. The fans want a cup run to maintain interest and excitement and the board want the financial rewards. Someone forgot to tell the players I think, either that or they don't give a shit. Hugely disappointing.

Anyway congratulations to Dumbarton who just about deserved it on the day, if only for being able to do the basics better than us. I hope you get a good draw and avoid another Championship team.

If the tactics were clear to everyone else then fine I'll admit I've maybe had one too many spiced rums before thr game but I'd say calling those "two well worked goals" is stretching it a bit. Russell gifts us the first opportunity and a high ball to Cawley (which happened all day yesterday for some reason) causes 2 Queens players to jump into each other, gifting us another chance. As I say, it's good to see our team fighting for every ball, I just think we need to show more when we've got the ball.

Have to agree that I thought we played rather well. It may be that we are bigging it up a little bit after the recent performances. As I said before though, I feel that yesterday we were everything we haven't been. Hurting down, passing pretty well, moving off the ball and we were competing for the bll all over the pitch. Queens were wasteful at times, but we done well to frustrate them and limit them to few 'good' chances.

My only disagreement with most is that I'm still not convinced about Cawley. He is too easily pushed off the ball and always wants too many touches. He hasn't looked anywhere near the player he always looked at Alloa. Not sure if that is down to the position he is being asked to play? But he has good flashes in games but then disappears or has a stinker the rest of the time.

If the tactics were clear to everyone else then fine I'll admit I've maybe had one too many spiced rums before thr game but I'd say calling those "two well worked goals" is stretching it a bit. Russell gifts us the first opportunity and a high ball to Cawley (which happened all day yesterday for some reason) causes 2 Queens players to jump into each other, gifting us another chance. As I say, it's good to see our team fighting for every ball, I just think we need to show more when we've got the ball.

Have to once again disagree, I'm on verge of challenging you to a thumb war here.

First goal, Russell made a total, hilarious arse of himself and we took advantage. That occurred way inside our own box and we had a hell of a lot to do before it ended up in the back of the net. Excellent pass from Saunders, excellent run and finish from Fleming. Well worked IMO and good to see us take advantage by moving the ball quickly, something we have struggled with this season.

Second goal, again I thought it was well worked, maybe not quite as much as the first. Cawley with a neat through ball for Fleming who had made another good run and used his strength to hold off the defender and slide the ball past the keeper. Whether they made an error in the build up or not it was still a decent enough goal.

I think you're being slightly harsh on the overall performance and tactics. Queens really struggled for any clear cut chances until deep into the second half, that's a testament to our defence and midfield. I like how we vary between long balls and a passing game. We don't have natural width just now but we worked the flanks well enough considering. We desperately need a natural wide player because bar the first 2 games of the season we haven't had one...

Russell's dive at the first is nowhere near our box, we play a 20 yard pass right through the centre of a defence that's still staring at Russell wondering who shot him. Maybe I am being over critical, I just didn't think we were as good as some have made out. We defended well enough I agree, with the ball we are very wasteful though. Sorry if I've upset anyone (Kenny Wilsons Moustache, those red dots hurt), it's just my opinion which I'm happy to see proved wrong.

Russell's dive at the first is nowhere near our box, we play a 20 yard pass right through the centre of a defence that's still staring at Russell wondering who shot him. Maybe I am being over critical, I just didn't think we were as good as some have made out. We defended well enough I agree, with the ball we are very wasteful though. Sorry if I've upset anyone (Kenny Wilsons Moustache, those red dots hurt), it's just my opinion which I'm happy to see proved wrong.

That was meant to read half, not box.

You've upset me, I hope you're drowning in red dots. Every one like a little stab through your cold, unimpressed heart.

Archived