Sons versus queens

optimistic

Dumfries Blue

No wonder our crowds are dropping so disappointingly at Dumfries - if you and any others think this team is the worst in 40 years you must be suffering from either a serious memory loss or have seen football of a standard hat I must have missed.

Yesterday was not nearly as bad as is being portrayed. We dominated most of that - 60% possession, more corners, more chances, had Dumbarton defending for their lives for spells. The problem thst we have in sbundance is a lack of goals in the team. Midfield players that never get ahead of the ball and keep playing safe square balls (Millar excepted) and players further forward like Harris and Oliver who do not show composure when they get a chance. The coaching stff should be working relentlessly on Oliver's finishing because he has the ability to make thst vital yard inthe box.

Worst team in 40 years?? Our league position would contend that it is one of our best teams despite a disappointing campaign.

i may have upset a few queens fan on here . in context i meant to say the qos team that played at the rock yesterday was the worst team performance i have seen . no pride no passion lack finesse . poor team . compared to players off the past bryce- cloy- mcminn- cochrane . guys who would run through a brick wall to win the ball . my 1st qos game was 1969 aged2 was a ball boy at qos 16 years home and away never missed a game .

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dumfries Blue

No wonder our crowds are dropping so disappointingly at Dumfries - if you and any others think this team is the worst in 40 years you must be suffering from either a serious memory loss or have seen football of a standard hat I must have missed.

Yesterday was not nearly as bad as is being portrayed. We dominated most of that - 60% possession, more corners, more chances, had Dumbarton defending for their lives for spells. The problem thst we have in sbundance is a lack of goals in the team. Midfield players that never get ahead of the ball and keep playing safe square balls (Millar excepted) and players further forward like Harris and Oliver who do not show composure when they get a chance. The coaching stff should be working relentlessly on Oliver's finishing because he has the ability to make thst vital yard inthe box.

Worst team in 40 years?? Our league position would contend that it is one of our best teams despite a disappointing campaign.

i may have upset a few queens fan on here . in context i meant to say the qos team that played at the rock yesterday was the worst team performance i have seen . no pride no passion lack finesse . poor team . compared to players off the past bryce- cloy- mcminn- cochrane . guys who would run through a brick wall to win the ball . my 1st qos game was 1969 aged2 was a ball boy at qos 16 years home and away never missed a game .

When Dumbarton fans posted during the match about Russell's dive costing us a goal, I struggled to imagine how such circumstances could come about. The reality is though that that's precisely what happened.

I've just watched Sportscene and it's absolutely incredible. I've seen Russell do that skip into the air thing before, when pressured from behind - he did it right in front of me against Hearts last year and the ref bought it - but I've never seen anything quite so blatant. The defender doesn't get close to him and he jumps, holding his shin. It was indeed poetic justice that it proved so costly.

I'm certainly not pressing for it to happen because he's an important player for us, but if Fyvie got a two match ban for his antics against Rangers, it's hard to see what defence Russell would have if the authorities chose to take a closer look. All pretty sickening to be honest.

I'd also question our goalkeeper's approach to these one on ones. He goes to ground with his hands up and legs spread out, almost as a default. It doesn't look like it makes it too hard to steer it away from him, if the attacker keeps his head.

The second goal looked to have shades of the second Rangers goal in the 2008 final - one defender waits to head, while another clatters into him, presenting a chance to our opponents.

All very disappointing. Even a replay would have been good. We might have got one of those home games I've heard about.

When Dumbarton fans posted during the match about Russell's dive costing us a goal, I struggled to imagine how such circumstances could come about. The reality is though that that's precisely what happened.

I've just watched Sportscene and it's absolutely incredible. I've seen Russell do that skip into the air thing before, when pressured from behind - he did it right in front of me against Hearts last year and the ref bought it - but I've never seen anything quite so blatant. The defender doesn't get close to him and he jumps, holding his shin. It was indeed poetic justice that it proved so costly.

I'm certainly not pressing for it to happen because he's an important player for us, but if Fyvie got a two match ban for his antics against Rangers, it's hard to see what defence Russell would have if the authorities chose to take a closer look. All pretty sickening to be honest.

I'd also question our goalkeeper's approach to these one on ones. He goes to ground with his hands up and legs spread out, almost as a default. It doesn't look like it makes it too hard to steer it away from him, if the attacker keeps his head.

The second goal looked to have shades of the second Rangers goal in the 2008 final - one defender waits to head, while another clatters into him, presenting a chance to our opponents.

All very disappointing. Even a replay would have been good. We might have got one of those home games I've heard about.

It seemed to me he was trying to get Saunders sent off. Saunders already had a yellow card for a foul on Russell. I will wait to see highlights to see if he did make contact. A lot of queens fans adamant he was halfed though they were even further away than us and it didn't look clear cut

Time for the authorities to clamp down hard on this type of thing. No idea if he will get called up in front of the committee but how he didn't even pick up a yellow card for the dive or the taking the legs away from one of our players minutes later is beyond me. Probably lucky not to get two yellow cards

If the tactics were clear to everyone else then fine I'll admit I've maybe had one too many spiced rums before thr game but I'd say calling those "two well worked goals" is stretching it a bit. Russell gifts us the first opportunity and a high ball to Cawley (which happened all day yesterday for some reason) causes 2 Queens players to jump into each other, gifting us another chance. As I say, it's good to see our team fighting for every ball, I just think we need to show more when we've got the ball.

I think you have been a bit unfair to the team here, we had plenty of forays forward that could have lead to goals by us, long balls were not aimed for cawley, but for Gallagher or Fleming, cawley was not strong enough against rangers, but much better yesterday, especially the inch perfect ball for Fleming's second, we played alot of good football at times, and were very tenacious when we never had the ball, I also think you have to realize the opposition we were playing as well, we deserved that, give the boys credit

I never seen Sportscene last night, couldn't seem to find it on the iplayer. Did they mention Russell's dive at all?

Not really.

It was just one of the matches featured as a round up at the end, so the commentary was one of those retrospective voiceover things.

The guy said something to the effect of the ref having a decision to make. The footage however, suggests that the decision wouldn't have been difficult.

Just watched the highlights there. Russell deserves all the pelters he gets for that. Absolutely fucking disgraceful behaviour. The boy was nowhere near him, never mind making contact. I agree with MT's sentiments. Though I wouldn't want to see a player of ours banned I would have absolutely no complaints about Russell receiving a ban. At the least he should be fined in all honesty; as should all diving little fuckers in our game.

Good luck Dumbarton. Genuinely hope you get a winnable tie in the next round before a nice wee money spinner later on.

I`m not sure you have upset anyone, But you really think yesterday was the worst QOS team performance since 1969- really? :lol:

For every player you list we could probably produce a very lengthy list of others who couldn`t match the team who played yesterday in terms of all the attributes you list.

We clearly weren`t great yesterday but your opinion which you are clearly entitled too just seems to others to be a total over reaction.

As i said earlier James Fowler and his Asst have known for a very long time that Ian Russell has been trying to win free kicks in this fashion and does not appear have done anything to curb it. Hopefully he will have dealt with it now - Ian Russell is far too good a player to be resorting to these antics.

As always in football there is little or no honesty in post match interviews - everything is seen through rose tinted specs. Better if the Manager comes out and says categorically that Russell dived and those actions direcly cost us the first goal. That is what happened.

On another subject I dont agree that the players didnt show any effort or passion yesterday - there was plenty of effort but we lost two terrible goals yesterday both self inflicted and singlarly failed to create enough quality chances in final third. By no stretch of the imagination was this is the worst performance in over 40 years - losing to a team from the same Division away ( and only a few points below us). Just glad we didnt draw Annan away!!!!!

Fowler was raging at the ref after the first goal, and possibly lucky the ref never had more than just a word, and reading the Sunday mail, he says there was a foul on Russell, I wonder if he'll come out and publicly state that he was wrong and fine or chastise Russell?

Fowler was raging at the ref after the first goal, and possibly lucky the ref never had more than just a word, and reading the Sunday mail, he says there was a foul on Russell, I wonder if he'll come out and publicly state that he was wrong and fine or chastise Russell?

The report on our OS doesn't say it was definitely a foul, but it implies that it was a decent shout.

To be honest though, I can understand why. I could even have just about understood the ref giving a free-kick if his view hadn't been great. After all, players don't generally collapse like that if absolutely nothing has happened.

Nobody could view the TV pictures and have any doubts though.

Just heard James Fowler's post match interview on QOS site - according to him the bench thought the first goal was a foul on Russell.

They had a clear view and they thought it was a foul???

Just what I was saying earlier - all Managers seem to seek out some sort of injustice that has evolved and conveniently ignore any situation in which one of their own has transgressed.

So we were unlucky after all!!!!!!!

I think it`s part of a children`s rhyme TBH,

Iainy Beany, miny moe,

Zero contact, down I go...........

:lol:

Just heard James Fowler's post match interview on QOS site - according to him the bench thought the first goal was a foul on Russell.

They had a clear view and they thought it was a foul???

Just what I was saying earlier - all Managers seem to seek out some sort of injustice that has evolved and conveniently ignore any situation in which one of their own has transgressed.

So we were unlucky after all!!!!!!!

To be fair, he probably hadn't had the chance to see the replay so all he'll have seen is Russell flying to the ground, and maybe have heard him claiming he was definitely fouled to hide his embarrassment. Maybe once he's seen the replay he'll stop talking about it.

I'd hazard a guess that the Gus Mcpherson relegation team were worse

To be fair if there's a small amount of contact and the player goes down it's not as bad as going down without being touched as Russell did. A lot of players, including our own, will go down when they've had a wee touch. Very rarely does the player who has been fouled actually need to fall over.

It is just as bad. This idea that players are entitled to go down that has been peddled by various ex players on radio and tv is a nonsense. Just because there is the slightest of touches it does not entitle you to go down. It either knocks you off your stride or it doesn't and if you go down when you havnt been knocked off balance is diving whether you have been touched or not

Archived