Sons versus queens

optimistic

Good performance from us today and in particular Gallagher and the Flembot. Match winning, captains performance from him and he looked like he was loving it. Future chairman material.

Queens weren't all that bad but we managed to nullify them for the most part.

Regarding Russell - I know it's been discussed to death and I know he loves playing the pantomime villian but that first half showing from him was an absolute embarassment to Queens. I think he's a great player, happy to admit that, but the diving theatrics are crigeworthy to watch at times. I'm glad he cut it out in the 2nd half, he restored at least a shred of credibility there but I was pretty surprised by how bad he tried to cheat in the 1st half. I would hate to see the likes of Fleming behave like that, the fact he doesn't actually need to do it makes it more frustrating. It was hugely pleasing to see him make a total arse of it for our first goal, justice if ever I've seen it. I'd like to see referees do more to cut that nonsense out.

Hopefully we can take this into next week. Well done Sons!

Thats a fair summary, although some of the home fans reactions to Russell were way over the top. In fact there were some very odd shouts from the home end.

I thought a draw would possibly have been a fair result. Queens had more of the ball but Dumbarton probably created the better chances. Having said that, without ever looking like cutting Dumbarton open, Queens created enough to get a draw. Oliver in particular was very wasteful in front of goal.

Gallagher impressed for Dumbarton, as did Cawley.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats a fair summary, although some of the home fans reactions to Russell were way over the top. In fact there were some very odd shouts from the home end.

I thought a draw would possibly have been a fair result. Queens had more of the ball but Dumbarton probably created the better chances. Having said that, without ever looking like cutting Dumbarton open, Queens created enough to get a draw. Oliver in particular was very wasteful in front of goal.

People in our home end shouting ridiculous things? You must be mistaken.

The BBC updates (which I know are unreliable) had us down for something like 59% of possession, but it didn't sound like we threatened that much.

Disappointed, but not at all surprised hear that Oliver was wasteful. There's something of a pattern there.

Frustrating game to lose especially in the manner that we conceded both the goals. I'm not fussed about diving all that much but to do it in the middle of the park with the defence exposed is moronic, well onside imo. We did what we usually do and knock it about inoffensively whilst almost getting picked off at will on the counter. The second goal was about as bad seeing as Marshall and one of the centre half got in each others way and chucked a goal when we were all over Dumbarton. After that it was the same old stuff whenever we chase a game.

Oliver and Hutton are similar in that they take about 10 touches more than they ever need to and kill any momentum we have both of them certainly flatter to deceive, Hutton plays like a confident Stephen Simmons skinning someone before playing it sideways. Millar was superb today and we need to get him on the ball more when he plays near his potential he put in some brilliant balls that if players gambled they might have got something. I don't think you can have Millar or Hutton in the same side as none of them can run and none of them can tackle and it's a no contest between the two really. Jacobs should also not be playing out wide as well, hopefully Higgins isn't out for long or we sign a new centre half as I don't really want to witness the eternal struggle of Darren Brownlie trying to play football any more.

Fowler won't get sacked but he needs to get fourth to salvage this year from a failure from the expectations at the start.

Since the last Dumbarton away game we've lost just about every game I've been to with the highlight being a 0-0 draw with Falkirk. I hate football so much right now.

To be fair, I'm normally highly critical of some of the nonsense spouted by the Dumbarton fans at our place but unfortunately Russell deserved everything he got today. Unless of course there were any death threats or sickening personal insults thrown his way, that's not cool.

I've witnessed a fair number of football matches over the years (a number of them involving Mr Russell) but that was the most blatant, consistent attempt at cheating I've witnessed from a singular player. He succeeded in getting Saunders booked for absolutely nothing and was desperately trying to get him sent off after that. It really wasn't nice to watch.

As I mentioned previously it's a real shame he feels the need to do it because he's a great player at this level and Queens are a club I have a soft spot for. I can only assume someone had a word with him at half time because he didn't try anything like it in the 2nd half.

I genuinely believe he could've been more effective today if he decided to stay on his feet rather than throw himself to the ground at the slightest touch from a Sons player.

I did hear one ridiculous shout from the home support today and that was 'I still love you Beany' :lol:

Tough game but actually quite enjoyable and a typical cup tie

Well taken goals by Fleming and great ball by Cawley for the 2nd

Nice to see Russell's frustration after his dive led to our first goal. I don't think I've seen another player at this level consistently dive quite so often. Made worse by the fact that he's still a quality player who doesn't need to do that

Salmond was awful....how he gave that free kick for docherty's perfectly timed tackle just outside the box is beyond me. And why didn't Russell get booked for a blatant swipe at one of our players just after first goal?

To be fair, I'm normally highly critical of some of the nonsense spouted by the Dumbarton fans at our place but unfortunately Russell deserved everything he got today. Unless of course there were any death threats or sickening personal insults thrown his way, that's not cool.

I've witnessed a fair number of football matches over the years (a number of them involving Mr Russell) but that was the most blatant, consistent attempt at cheating I've witnessed from a singular player. He succeeded in getting Saunders booked for absolutely nothing and was desperately trying to get him sent off after that. It really wasn't nice to watch.

As I mentioned previously it's a real shame he feels the need to do it because he's a great player at this level and Queens are a club I have a soft spot for. I can only assume someone had a word with him at half time because he didn't try anything like it in the 2nd half.

I genuinely believe he could've been more effective today if he decided to stay on his feet rather than throw himself to the ground at the slightest touch from a Sons player.

I did hear one ridiculous shout from the home support today and that was 'I still love you Beany' :lol:

I can confirm that wasn't me :ph34r:

Come home wee man, quit the diving and just get back to scoring goals. I loved you when I was growing up

It actually wasn't me :lol: But I would love to have him back

Was Russell really that bad today?

I certainly know that he can be guilty of falling easily and I think it's sometimes counter productive.

I also think that it's something opposition fans overstate a bit - usually ahead of games, rather than afterwards in fairness.

Any Queens fans present today with observations about Russell's 'performance', especially just before the first goal?

Great tie with both teams going at each other. Hopefully aitken releases that energy and pressing game from now on.

No bad performances with fraz, sparky, jono, jamie and gaz excelling. Despite what looked like a mistake for the goal i thought mark brown done well too with some important saves late on.

Thought gary was a decent captain too with plenty of talking and praise.

The only teams we have beaten this season are Morton, Livingston, Dumbarton and Alloa. And we have lost to Morton, Livingston and Dumbarton in the cups. It is a pity there isn't another cup for Alloa to beat us in.

Not good enough when you see that statistic.

Was Russell really that bad today?

I certainly know that he can be guilty of falling easily and I think it's sometimes counter productive.

I also think that it's something opposition fans overstate a bit - usually ahead of games, rather than afterwards in fairness.

Any Queens fans present today with observations about Russell's 'performance', especially just before the first goal?

Russell was ineffectual and wasteful and his diving is embarrassing.

Pleased to be in the draw on Monday and hopefully we can get the three points next week. Gallagher played well and I'm happy for Garry Flemming, really good game for him and I'd agree with comments on him doing well as captain.

Agree with most of what's been said on here about Russel apart from the incident where Saunders was booked - he chopped him down like a tree :lol:

Looking forward to the draw - until we get Rangers at home or something :shutup.

With the possible exception of the incident in the lead up to the opening goal I have no idea what Russell did to incur the Dumbarton wrath today. The idea that he "got Saunders booked for nothing" is laughable. That was a clear late challenge and playing a non existent advantage was one of the refs few mistakes today. Didnt think Saunders could have any complaint at his yellow. Couldnt tell what contact there was on him before the goal but the ref was very close. Hopefully we get a clear picture from the BBC tonight. Whether it was or wasnt a foul though the fact is we somehow let Gary Fleming, hardly the fastest of players, have a completely unchallenged run on goal for about 50 yards. Good finish.

Thought we actually played ok today up to the penalty area but too often the final choice, especially from Russell or Oliver, was wrong. Millar and Hutton played well and after a slow start I thought we gradually took over the game for the middle hour or so.

Winner was another disaster for us with Higgy and Marshall colliding going for the same ball but it was an excellent finish from Fleming at a time when we had looked in control.

Thereafter we didnt really do enough to draw though Russell should have done better when Brown flapped the ball down to him and Millar was a little unlucky with his shot near the end well blocked by Brown.

Congratulations to Dumbarton though and best of luck in the next round (unless you get Annan).

It is very hard to argue with any of the comments about Ian Russell - what goes around comes around. He certainly appeared to throw himself to the ground when it would have been easier to control the ball and keep possession. Every Queens fan knows that he has been doing this for a while - the question is have the QOS Management team been dealing with the issue. On the evidence of today I dont think so. All Managers are quick to play the wounded soldier when an opposition player is seen to dive but invariably choose to make excuses for their own. That being said he is a massive trier and a player who scores goals and generally makes things happen unlike several others who look as if they could play for weeks and months on end and never look like scoring.

We will play worse and win but that is little consolation. Our lack of goals from midfield continues to be a massive issue for us. We have decided to re-sign Hutton which seemed logical but he is quite pedestrian and simply does not make or score goals - similar to Jacobs. Mark Millar was our best player today but for him another 90 minutes without scoring despite playing for long spells in the No 10 position.

Very sorry to see Higgy pick up a sore injury - god help us if he is out long term. If the injury is bad I think we will have to sign a centreback quickly or kiss goodbye to any chance of 4th place.

Gary Oliver clearly has ability but he has little composure when it comes to shooting and if he wants to be a striker at this level he will need to start hitting shots on target with pace and direction.

Good luck to Dumbarton - they have had a horrible run against us and I sincerely hope that normal service is resumed next week but I woldnt bet on it!

With the possible exception of the incident in the lead up to the opening goal I have no idea what Russell did to incur the Dumbarton wrath today. The idea that he "got Saunders booked for nothing" is laughable. That was a clear late challenge and playing a non existent advantage was one of the refs few mistakes today. Didnt think Saunders could have any complaint at his yellow. Couldnt tell what contact there was on him before the goal but the ref was very close. Hopefully we get a clear picture from the BBC tonight. Whether it was or wasnt a foul though the fact is we somehow let Gary Fleming, hardly the fastest of players, have a completely unchallenged run on goal for about 50 yards. Good finish.

Thought we actually played ok today up to the penalty area but too often the final choice, especially from Russell or Oliver, was wrong. Millar and Hutton played well and after a slow start I thought we gradually took over the game for the middle hour or so.

Winner was another disaster for us with Higgy and Marshall colliding going for the same ball but it was an excellent finish from Fleming at a time when we had looked in control.

Thereafter we didnt really do enough to draw though Russell should have done better when Brown flapped the ball down to him and Millar was a little unlucky with his shot near the end well blocked by Brown.

Congratulations to Dumbarton though and best of luck in the next round (unless you get Annan).

He hit the deck a few times easily after that as well, but I think the bit that angered the fans about the Saunders challenge was his Luiz Suarez (v Norwich City, April 2014) reaction.He looked to be in a bit of pain, fair play, but as soon as the ball came in his direction he was straight back up and moving perfectly. If you're going to feign injury at least see it through and do it properly!

Oliver was a strange one for you lot. Lovely first touch, and good with the ball at his feet, but his final ball. Jaysus. It seemed to end up outside the ground more often than not.

Would love a trip to Annan again, scene of our 3rd Division title win 8)

Would love a trip to Annan again, scene of our 3rd Division title win 8)

I was thinking that, Galabank is completely different to what it was, but it's still the scene of (I think) my happiest day ever as a Sons fan. I can still recite the team from that day from memory :wub:

David McEwan

Gordon Lennon Mick Dunlop Ben Gordon Paddy Boyle

Ross Forbes Ryan McStay Ross Clarke Stevie Murray

Denis Mclaughlin Derek Carcary

Happy days

Anyone clock the floodlight exploding? Thank f**k no one was warming up underneath it :lol: raining bulb shards.

I noticed something in the far corner, thought it was just a bit of water falling, maybe with the pylon being struck by the match ball or something :o

On a side note, our floodlights are appalling, some not even working, dark patches everywhere.

Archived