What If 'They' Say NO

Granny Danger

I hate to use the word 'naive' but I think it is a bit naive to to think that a UK government will simply give the nod for another Referendum regardless of the mandate it may seem to have. The real issue is how strong word the resenment be if agreement/permission was withheld and how would this resentment manifest itself.

I don't think other contries would be overly bothered and even if they were I can't see that impacting upon a future UK government.

This may become a more immediate issue if the Euro referendum result is to leave.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they have a majority of the seats they'd be able to implement their policies. If their pre-election manifesto says they will hold a referendum if elected then they'd have a mandate to do so. Elections aren't based on total votes but on number of seats.

But I'm fairly sure as things stand that holding a binding Referendum on Scottish Independence is not a power that has been delegated to the Scottish Parliament. Happy to be corrected if I have that wrong.

But I'm fairly sure as things stand that holding a binding Referendum on Scottish Independence is not a power that has been delegated to the Scottish Parliament. Happy to be corrected if I have that wrong.

It's not - Scotland the "proud country" has to ask Westminster for permission to hold a legally-binding referendum on its constitutional future.

Maybe this is an uncomfortable question for all concerned, but given what has happened recently elsewhere it's a real possibility.

What happens if at some point in the future a democratically elected Scottish Government, following a manifesto commitment that is endorsed in an election, want to hold another referendum on Independence and the UK government say no?

I reckon the reason that the government of the day the last time around was so sanguine was that no one thought that 45% of those who voted would vote YES. I don't want to have a debate here about how likely a YES vote will be in the future, there's other threads devoted to that, but rather what the real practical implcations would be.

Sure there will be cries of 'constitutional crisis' but what in real terms could we do and how strong would the will of Jock Public ( :P ) be to actually do anything?

Did bawjaws salmond not tell me the referendum was a once in a generation opportunity?

Anyhoo, wee Nikola Krankie will not go near a referendum until the polls are consistently polling at least 10 points clear for yes, so Eck was probably correct.

And your point is ?

The UK have already recognised Scotland's right to self determination. The precedent has been set.

In the past, yes. However the likes of Spain, Cyprus, Azerbaijan amongst others get away with bully boy tactics against breakaway movements with precisely zero repercussions from the international community. I think it's pretty naive to think the UK wouldn't receive the same privileges.

Did bawjaws salmond not tell me the referendum was a once in a generation opportunity?

Anyhoo, wee Nikola Krankie will not go near a referendum until the polls are consistently polling at least 10 points clear for yes, so Eck was probably correct.

As long as there's a big enough contingent of proud Scots happy to have Gideon's and Cameron's pubes plastered round their chops, I guess. The BritNats sure do love to love their UK masters.

Splitting the no votes across 3 parties doesn't suddenly give the SNP a mandate. The only way the SNP have a mandate is if their vote numbers exceed the total number of votes for the 3 unionist parties.

The SNP did get more votes than Labour, the Tories and the Lib Dems combined, you idiot.

Hooray! You win Britnat Bingo! Full house!!

^^^ Walloper

A clear manifesto commitment I think should be enough to hold a referendum. Ideally it should be a legally binding one so there can be debate that everyone can be part of. Failure to recognise the will of the people and majoirty of MSP's and MP's I think would humiliate the westminister establishment and probably a bit of infighting until they come to the table and by then in a weakened position if they try and drag out the inevitable.

That said I think there does need to be a significant change in circumstances in the next 15 years. Something like Scotland wanting to stay in EU could have an influence but is still a bit soon after 2014 so public opinion and polls would need to be carefully considered. Though the 2020 UK election will be just as important. Is still a long time away but difficult to see Torries not being in government at some form if you had to bet at this time. Then maybe the SNP can go into 2021 election with clear pledge to have an early referendum within a year. At that point it would be a 4th term and at that term or the next one realistically lose majority power or more. Labour might be a bit more split this time as they will have to basically defend the merits of 15 years of torrie rule up until 2025.

I hate to use the word 'naive' but I think it is a bit naive to to think that a UK government will simply give the nod for another Referendum regardless of the mandate it may seem to have. The real issue is how strong word the resenment be if agreement/permission was withheld and how would this resentment manifest itself.

I don't think other contries would be overly bothered and even if they were I can't see that impacting upon a future UK government.

This may become a more immediate issue if the Euro referendum result is to leave.

Think most other countries (particularly those in Europe) who might have a vested interest in supporting an independent Scotland(?) probably have enough on their plate at present!

The U.K. will vote to remain in the EU and dilute the argument even further.

Think most other countries (particularly those in Europe) who might have a vested interest in supporting an independent Scotland(?) probably have enough on their plate at present!

The U.K. will vote to remain in the EU and dilute the argument even further.

I think that's the likely outcome but I wouldn't bet on it. I think the coming months will show just how tight this will be; it will probably be Cameron's swansong but he wants to go anyway - it's just the manner of his departure that will be interesting.

Anyway leaving the EU is only one of the triggers though definitely the most immediate one.

I think that's the likely outcome but I wouldn't bet on it. I think the coming months will show just how tight this will be; it will probably be Cameron's swansong but he wants to go anyway - it's just the manner of his departure that will be interesting.

Anyway leaving the EU is only one of the triggers though definitely the most immediate one.

What makes you think Cammy wants out? He ruled out running for a third term before the election but then went back on that when he got a majority. If he continues on as PM he could win a third election and go down as the longest serving prime minister of the modern era

Archived