Los Angeles

Mr Bairn

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

There was people on their boards saying that they support the business not the city which is the HUGE difference between sports in UK and USA.  We support the teams because they represent us usually through our place of birth or someone in our families( OF decided to use religion but that a different story) .

I'm a bit late to this party, but the vast, vast majority of NFL fans root for the city name and not the team name. There are of course NFL teams like the Raiders or Steelers that have an identity outside of their home region, but those are the exception.

By my rough estimate:

99% of Rams fans in Missouri and Illinois are no longer Rams fans.

I'd guess the Chargers would keep somewhere around half of their fanbase if they move to LA. It would still be the closest team.

The Raiders would probably keep the majority of their fanbase as they are one of those teams that have an identity beyond the name Oakland.

It's just about the same distance from Oakland to the Levi's Stadium as it is from downtown San Francisco tbh. Surprised it has never been mentioned as an option.

This won't happen because money is going to drive decisions, but if an Oakland stadium doesn't work out and the NFL cared about a fancentric solution, they'd rebrand the Oakland Raiders as the California Raiders and have them split home games between the Rams and 49ers stadiums.

N. The Raiders identify-collar and disenfranchised support, hence why, years later, they are still associated with down-town LA/Comp etc. If/hen they move they need to keep that identity, not become some generic California franchise.

f**k sharing with the 49ers in the middle of nowhere.

1. New stadium in Oakland

2. Moving to Las Vegas (unlikely for many reasons)
3. Sharing with the Rams in LA

That's my order of preference, and sharing with the 49ers would be way down the list. I'd go to San Diego, Portland or San Antonio over Santa Clara as well.

f**k sharing with the 49ers in the middle of nowhere.

1. New stadium in Oakland

2. Moving to Las Vegas (unlikely for many reasons)

3. Sharing with the Rams in LA

That's my order of preference, and sharing with the 49ers would be way down the list. I'd go to San Diego, Portland or San Antonio over Santa Clara as well.

My point is that if they're going to share a stadium in LA anyways, why completely abandon their Northern California fanbase? Play a few home games a year up in Santa Clara as a nod to their Northern California history. Moving out of California completely should never be done. I get that some owners are not independently wealthy outside of their club ownership and the Raiders are in that situation, but if you can't make things work financially in your own market then you should have the decency to sell the team to someone who can make it work rather than abandoning the fans.

Plus, one of the problems for their Raiders is that they have a large fanbase spread out over California, but are the most popular team almost nowhere. They had trouble filling up their stadium in both LA and Oakland in down years. Splitting up the home games would keep them in touch with both major parts of their fanbase and help with ticket sales.

Plus, one of the problems for their Raiders is that they have a large fanbase spread out over California, but are the most popular team almost nowhere. They had trouble filling up their stadium in both LA and Oakland in down years. Splitting up the home games would keep them in touch with both major parts of their fanbase and help with ticket sales.

Raiders have been the most popular team in Los Angeles for the past 20-30 years, although not within the demographic of fans that the NFL would like to be associated with, which is why you'll never hear such a thing. However, I do feel that with the Rams returning to LA, plenty of fans who haven't really bothered about the sport or a particular team will now be aligning themselves with the Rams, and they'll be a clear #1 in the LA area. Make no mistake about it, though, there are a lot more Raiders fans in the LA area than there are in the Bay (especially so if you take the team away from Oakland, where most of its Bay Area fans are located), which is why I think a move to share with the Rams makes a lot more sense than sharing with the 49ers.

I wouldn't be opposed to splitting games between Northern and Southern California, although that creates a problem of what to name the team. Golden State Raiders to go along with the basketball team? That doesn't sound right, though, and neither does the California Raiders.

Archived