Los Angeles

Mr Bairn

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointed the Raiders aren't going back, I really could've jumped on that bandwagon. Hardly surprising though.

Still not out the question, although the Chargers have first option and it sounds like they're going to use it.

I wouldn't mind an expansion to 36

AFC

Central

1 Pittsburgh Steelers

2 Cleveland Browns

3 Baltimore Ravens

4 Cincinnati Bengals

5 Jacksonville Jaguars

6 Tennessee Titans

East

1 New England Patriots

2 NY Jets

3 Buffalo Bills

4 Miami Dolphins

5 Indianapolis Colts

6 Houston Texans

West

1 Denver Broncos

2 San Diego Chargers

3 Kansas City Chiefs

4 Oakland Raiders

5 LA expansion team

6 San Antonio expansion team

NFC

Central

1 Green Bay Packers

2 Chicago Bears

3 Minnesota Vikings

4 Detroit Lions

5 New Orleans Saints

6 Atlanta Falcons

East

1 Dallas Cowboys

2 New York Giants

3 Washington Redskins

4 Philadelphia Eagles

5 Carolina Panthers

6 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

West

1 Seattle Seahawks

2 Arizona Cardinals

3 San Francisco 49ers

4 Los Angeles Rams

5 Las Vegas expansion team

6 St Louis expansion team

Would make the scheduling easy as well. 10 division games and then you just play one other division (3 home, 3 away)

Not bad but I'd hope Cumbernauld would be ahead of San Antonio in the queue the next time the league expands.

Expand another 3 or 4 teams? Yeah, what fans really want to see is backup jobbers like Geno Smith, clipboard Jesus and Michael Vick getting a chance to start and stink it up....

These arguments were put forward when the previous expansion was proposed. It was utter shite then and it still is now.

Expand another 3 or 4 teams? Yeah, what fans really want to see is backup jobbers like Geno Smith, clipboard Jesus and Michael Vick getting a chance to start and stink it up....

I suppose they should retract to 8 teams and just have Brady, Rodgers, Ben, Rivers, Luck, Newton, Wilson and Eli Manning then?

Seriously, QB talent is the weakest argument against expansion. If you're forced to start a sub-par QB then you should compensate by running the ball and playing good defense. I'd also like to see rule changes that support that.

AFC

Central

1 Pittsburgh Steelers

2 Cleveland Browns

3 Baltimore Ravens

4 Cincinnati Bengals

5 Jacksonville Jaguars

6 Tennessee Titans

East

1 New England Patriots

2 NY Jets

3 Buffalo Bills

4 Miami Dolphins

5 Indianapolis Colts

6 Houston Texans

West

1 Denver Broncos

2 San Diego Chargers

3 Kansas City Chiefs

4 Oakland Raiders

5 LA expansion team

NFC

Central

1 Green Bay Packers

2 Chicago Bears

3 Minnesota Vikings

4 Detroit Lions

5 New Orleans Saints

6 Atlanta Falcons

East

1 Dallas Cowboys

2 New York Giants

3 Washington Redskins

4 Philadelphia Eagles

5 Carolina Panthers

6 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

West

1 Seattle Seahawks

2 Arizona Cardinals

3 San Francisco 49ers

4 Los Angeles Rams

Would make the scheduling easy as well. 10 division games and then you just play one other division (3 home, 3 away)

That's bizarre, I sat the other night and came up with exact same format. For me both conferences must have the same number of teams as do the divisions to keep the rolling schedules we have from year to year. When I really got into the NFL in the late 90s the divisions were all over the place and made it really difficult to understand.

Add another 4 teams ASAP. It's gonna happen sooner or later, so why not sooner?

I would keep interconference play to a certain degree. I'm not quite sure if my logic adds up and would be feasable but I'd have it something along the lines of...

10 Division Games

2 Conference Games vs teams finishing in same place in other two divisions.

4 Interconference Games vs two teams from two of the three divisions. For example if you finish 1st or 2nd in your division you'll play 3rd and 4th from one division and 5th and 6th from another. If you finish 3rd or 4th in your division you'll play 1st and 2nd / 5th and 6th. Finish 5th or 6th play 3rd and 4th / 1st and 2nd. You get the idea? This would rotate which divisions play who on a 3 year cycle.

I had the divisions as follows...

AFC East

Baltimore Ravens

Buffalo Bills

Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

AFC Central

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Houston Texans

Indianapolis Colts

Pittsburgh Steelers

Tennessee Titans

AFC West

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

Los Angeles

Las Vegas

NFC East

Carolina Panthers

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Washington Redskins

NFC Central

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

San Antonio

St Louis

NFC West

Atlanta Falcons

Arizona Cardinals

Los Angeles Rams

New Orleans Saints

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

I only see a couple of little issues with your proposal

First of all I don't think the NFL would ever split the Ravens and Steelers up, and I think they'd like to put the Patriots and Colts back together, so swap the Ravens and Colts over

Secondly, there are two great advantages with the way the schedule currently works. The first of these is that over a period of time you're guaranteed to play every single team in the league home and away. Obviously you play your division opponents every year, but you're bound to play every conference opponent at least every 3 years, and every interconference opponent every 4th year. I think ideally the NFL would like to avoid losing this, because they don't want two teams going 20 years or whatever without ever playing.

The other advantage is that it encourages parity by giving harder schedules to teams that did well last year (ie Teams that topped their division play one another, teams that finished last play one another). You've also lost this with your weird suggestion of the interconference games basically doing the opposite job.

It will be tough for the NFL to keep both whilst having to accommodate 10 out of 16 games being in the division

Here's an alternative plan

-6 division games. You play four of your division opponents once (2 home, 2 away), then the team that finished next to you last year, you play twice. So 1v2, 3v4, 5v6 are home and away series but the other pairings only play once.

-6 games against another division on a 5 year rotation (3 home, 3 away)

-Then play the remaining 4 teams that finished in the same placing as you in their division last year (2 home, 2 away)

The two disadvantages of that would be that you only play certain division opponents one time and that there would be a disparity in the number of conference/interconference games.

Heck if they wanted to be completely wacky they could just abolish the two conferences and have six divisions of 6, the 6 winners make the playoffs and seeded 1-6, then the next 8 teams get wildcards (I think if they went to 36 we would see a 14 team playoff)

If they expand the Division they're not gonna split the games by doing that. Take the NFC East, the Skins/Cowboys match makes more money than any other possible match up in that division - if not the NFL (regular season only of course) and the chance they're not meeting twice a season will not happen

AFC

Central

1 Pittsburgh Steelers

2 Cleveland Browns

3 Baltimore Ravens

4 Cincinnati Bengals

5 Jacksonville Jaguars

6 Tennessee Titans

East

1 New England Patriots

2 NY Jets

3 Buffalo Bills

4 Miami Dolphins

5 Indianapolis Colts

6 Houston Texans

West

1 Denver Broncos

2 San Diego Chargers

3 Kansas City Chiefs

4 Oakland Raiders

5 LA expansion team

NFC

Central

1 Green Bay Packers

2 Chicago Bears

3 Minnesota Vikings

4 Detroit Lions

5 New Orleans Saints

6 Atlanta Falcons

East

1 Dallas Cowboys

2 New York Giants

3 Washington Redskins

4 Philadelphia Eagles

5 Carolina Panthers

6 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

West

1 Seattle Seahawks

2 Arizona Cardinals

3 San Francisco 49ers

4 Los Angeles Rams

I think your geography could be doing with a little polishing. For example Colts are both more central and less east than the bengals, steelers, browns and ravens.

I also think it is highly unlikely that two divisions would take 2 teams - they would be a single expansion team is 4 divisions.

Whilst we are at it, lets increase the playoffs to 32. :rolleyes:

Is there not a city in Texans that wants a Franchise. San Antonio, maybe?

In fact just done a Google search and looks like members of the Raiders Organisation has already visited and spoke with City Officials

Mark Davis met with SA officials a few months ago. It's generally thought this was just a bluff to try and get a better deal from Oakland which didn't work.

The problem with San Antonio is that it's Cowboys territory and Jerry Jones has a huge influence in the NFL. He won't want a team there, so it's very likely that SA won't get a team.

I think your geography could be doing with a little polishing. For example Colts are both more central and less east than the bengals, steelers, browns and ravens.

When has geographical location actually mattered? What matters is what makes the NFL money.

That is why in the 2001 realignment Dallas stayed in the NFCE rather than the Panthers joining the ranks when they made the NFCS.

When has geographical location actually mattered? What matters is what makes the NFL money.

That is why in the 2001 realignment Dallas stayed in the NFCE rather than the Panthers joining the ranks when they made the NFCS.

Which no-one is disputing. However Mr Bairn has completely re-designed the leagues on what appears to be on a geographical basis.

Archived