The Famous Heart Of Midlothian v Lanarkshire's Finest Saturday 16

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes it the best away trip?

Is it the atmosphere? Pubs close by?

I love it because I love Hearts. I just wonder why so many away fans like it.

1. Atmosphere in the ground is great, with steep stands and an excellent view.

2. Pubs are decent.

3. 45 mins on the train and normally a match most of my mates make an effort to get to.

Looking forward to Saturday!

That is of course assuming Grimshaw's loan is extended from Man United which the club are apparently hopeful of securing this week but I don't think there's been any official word beyond that yet. Otherwise that's another player missing from our settled XI.

With all the various permutations and potential inexperience in the middle I'd definitely take a draw here.

Grimshaw was in the papers this morning saying his loan deal isn't up until after the game on Saturday and that he's still hopeful of staying till the end of the season.

With him available and Lasley out I can see him bringing in Ainsworth, which is a risk but I just don't think McGhee really fancies any of the alternatives. Which is really either the untested Cadden or retrying the already failed Laing in midfield experiment.

You could of course drop McDonald back but given the form he's been in up front and the partnership he and Moult have developed I think McGhee would loathe to break them up. Even if he did you'd then have the question of who partners Moult. Clarkson? Faddy? Theo!?

1. Atmosphere in the ground is great, with steep stands and an excellent view.

It's one of the very few grounds that redeveloping actually improved the atmosphere. Before the ground was redeveloped, it was pretty much the worst away day where the only pleasure to be had was sticking the fingers up at the folk watching from their windows behind the away end :)

Grimshaw was in the papers this morning saying his loan deal isn't up until after the game on Saturday and that he's still hopeful of staying till the end of the season.

With him available and Lasley out I can see him bringing in Ainsworth, which is a risk but I just don't think McGhee really fancies any of the alternatives. Which is really either the untested Cadden or retrying the already failed Laing in midfield experiment.

You could of course drop McDonald back but given the form he's been in up front and the partnership he and Moult have developed I think McGhee would loathe to break them up. Even if he did you'd then have the question of who partners Moult. Clarkson? Faddy? Theo!?

Hadn't seen the comments from Grimshaw, if he's available for this game then that's good news. Tbh I can't see why United would have a problem with him extending his loan.

I agree, going with Ainsworth is probably the most likely option of the times we've started with that we've won at Rugby Park & lost at Fir Park to ICT. It's definitely a change that's worked better for us as a sub ie: win at Parkhead and draw at Pittodrie although from what I've heard the change against Aberdeen meant we started opening up and ceding a lot of chances.

Either way it'll be interesting to see what sort of team McGhee goes for but I'd definitely take a draw right now.

This will be my first time at Tynecastle, quite looking forward to it considering our recent form, whats the overall Tynecastle experience like Hearts fans?

Anyway reckon it'll either be 1-1 or 2-1 to Motherwell

My first Tynecastle experience ever, as a tourist to Edinburgh, was Hearts' 2-2 draw with Sevco the last day of last season, and it was the atmosphere that made me into a Hearts fan. Add to that, that I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the 'Well for two reasons: One, your colours match my uni's colours, and two, the first time I ever saw your side play was the playoffs against Rangers. So I hope you lot have a great time at the match, the result aside naturally.

My first Tynecastle experience ever, as a tourist to Edinburgh, was Hearts' 2-2 draw with Sevco the last day of last season, and it was the atmosphere that made me into a Hearts fan. Add to that, that I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the 'Well for two reasons: One, your colours match my uni's colours, and two, the first time I ever saw your side play was the playoffs against Rangers. So I hope you lot have a great time at the match, the result aside naturally.

Harry? Harry...Potter?? :o

Tynecastle under floodlights is the best football match in the country. Great ground for atmosphere, perfect view, we always seem to take a great crowd there who are always in the mood, and our results and performances are generally decent.

Incidentally my first ever football match was Hearts v Aberdeen at Tynie, went there on a Hearts supporters bus from Stirling. Is there even such a thing these days??

What makes it the best away trip?

Is it the atmosphere? Pubs close by?

I love it because I love Hearts. I just wonder why so many away fans like it.

probably the atmosphere, we usually take a good support and our teams are usually on a level in terms of ability so it makes for, more often than not, a really good game. as for the pubs , usually cannae get in to the bassass :)

I think playing 2 wingers at Tynecastle would be a mistake.

The one thing that Grimshaw was - was a battler with a great engine. Exactly the type of player to take on a very physical Hearts side. I would consider Ainsworth - if Skippy effectively drops back and makes a 5 man midfield along with Laing or Cadden.

Hearts will try to bully us from the off - they did that VERY effectively against Aberdeen in the cup. We need to stand up to this from the OFF - or we will be leaving with NIL points.

There was nothing especially physical about our approach against Aberdeen; we just pressed them high up the pitch, forced errors, won corners and dangerous free-kicks etc. It was actually pretty much exactly what they did in the previous game at Pittodrie but no one described it as a physical approach for some reason.

I'm also fairly sure that only 1 of our 36 league goals this season has come from a header, a pretty poor return for the big, physical bullies.

There was nothing especially physical about our approach against Aberdeen; we just pressed them high up the pitch, forced errors, won corners and dangerous free-kicks etc. It was actually pretty much exactly what they did in the previous game at Pittodrie but no one described it as a physical approach for some reason.

I'm also fairly sure that only 1 of our 36 league goals this season has come from a header, a pretty poor return for the big, physical bullies.

We have got a few from winning the first ball at corners and free kicks, but aye, we don't score many headers.

This was always something I never understood. I remember when Everton came up for a friendly at the start of the season and pretty much every player had a couple of inches, and were looking physically far tougher than all of our players (barring Paterson). Even players like Mirallas looked like someone you would sooner regret getting on the wrong side of. I recall the difference being a lot worse when Tottenham played us in the Europa League qualifiers a couple of years ago also.

I know it's not the fairest comparison, but if English teams can get players that fit then I don't so see why teams up in Scotland couldn't give them a run for their money in that department. I would say there is more to this lazy 'Hearts are physical' narrative, and that other teams lack it if anything.

Agree with this. Hearts contested with Aberdeen, but there was nothing overly physically with it. Particularly enjoyed Sow ragdolling Reynolds, highlighting again why he'll never be an international.

Hearts' biggest success against us earlier in the season was stopping McDonald play. A big part of his play is taking it into feet and turning one way or another, which was even more pronounced when he was playing deeper. Hearts completely cut this off as a ploy, and stopped us playing entirely because of it. Presumably Neilson will do his homework again for us, but with a change of personnel/possible change of style perhaps we can benefit from this.

This was always something I never understood. I remember when Everton came up for a friendly at the start of the season and pretty much every player had a couple of inches, and were looking physically far tougher than all of our players (barring Paterson). Even players like Mirallas looked like someone you would sooner regret getting on the wrong side of. I recall the difference being a lot worse when Tottenham played us in the Europa League qualifiers a couple of years ago also.

I know it's not the fairest comparison, but if English teams can get players that fit then I don't so see why teams up in Scotland couldn't give them a run for their money in that department. I would say there is more to this lazy 'Hearts are physical' narrative, and that other teams lack it if anything.

This is exactly why players from down south get picked over Scottish players in every Scotland team. As soon as they disappear into English clubs, they immediately start bulking up to compete. It's a fitness issue as much as anything else, and yeah, I'd fully agree re: it isn't 'physical hearts', they can just compete harder, for longer than other teams can.

Archived