Tennis: Australian Open 2016

John Lambies Doos

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm being honest, if he gets to the final regardless of whether it's Novak or not, I think he'll play even if she goes in to labour. By the time he's at the airport, flown and managed to get there the bairn'll be celebrating its first birthday.

Whilst he'll obviously want to be there as soon as possible, if he's planning on being there for the birth then he's almost certainly going to miss it regardless of whether he was to fly home or not, you're talking a whole day of travelling.

Let's say Murray was to come out of the shadows of Djokovic and win all 4 slams in 2016, does he enter the GOAT discussion?

It would go down as the greatest year of the open era, but certainly wouldn't elevate him into that bracket. Djokovic isn't even in that bracket yet. Laver, Borg or Federer. In this era where all players now play the Australian you have to surpass Roger's 17 slams.

As for Konta, women's tennis is ridiculously bad. It doesn't surprise me that somebody that has worked hard to play low error tennis has suddenly had success. Look at Serena her power differential wins her most matches, she has poor movement and fitness. Konta won't beat Azarenka. She's playing excellent tennis currently.

No real surprise to see Serena wipe the floor with Sharapova. Sharapova hasn't beaten her in 18 matches now. And never will.

After the end of the first set she took a medical time out. I don't think there was anything wrong with her, she never took any medication or was given any treatment. It was just to say to Sharapova I took the first set and I was injured. Williams then raced away in the second set.

Whilst he'll obviously want to be there as soon as possible, if he's planning on being there for the birth then he's almost certainly going to miss it regardless of whether he was to fly home or not, you're talking a whole day of travelling.

Exactly, what will a day or so make in terms of difference if he's not there for the actual birth itself? Hopefully we don't have to worry about it anyway, can see him taking a month or so off after this for it.

No real surprise to see Serena wipe the floor with Sharapova. Sharapova hasn't beaten her in 18 matches now. And never will.

After the end of the first set she took a medical time out. I don't think there was anything wrong with her, she never took any medication or was given any treatment. It was just to say to Sharapova I took the first set and I was injured. Williams then raced away in the second set.

Sharapova stunned her in their first game, the 2004 Wimbledon final, but I don't think she's beaten her at all since

They played before the Wimbledon final and she beat her in the tour finals in the same year. But hasn't won since October 2004.

Nishikori is currently beating himself. Djokovic is not playing brilliantly but Kei is bleeding errors in the manner Novak did against Simon. He's looking a bit livelier in the third though.

Didn't see the match, but any time I've seen them play Sharapova just insists on trying to out-hit Williams. I get this is her game, but after that many defeats you'd think she'd at least try a new game plan or show a bit of variety. The way she plays is a just a worse version of Williams so it's always going to end in defeat.

It would go down as the greatest year of the open era, but certainly wouldn't elevate him into that bracket. Djokovic isn't even in that bracket yet. Laver, Borg or Federer. In this era where all players now play the Australian you have to surpass Roger's 17 slams.

Not sure I'd agree with this. While Federer is/was obviously in the discussion, he racked up a decent number of his slams in a pretty poor era. I don't think Djokovic's claim to inclusion should rely on his beating Federer's total in arguably the best era men's tennis has ever seen. For me Djokovic is deserving of a place in that group, and has probably reached a higher level than any male tennis player in history.

If Murray somehow took all four slams in one year I would think he'd have to reached a level beyond any of Djokovic, Federer or Nadal at their peak. I don't think it would elevate him to Federer/Djokovic levels in the all time consideration however.

Exactly, what will a day or so make in terms of difference if he's not there for the actual birth itself? Hopefully we don't have to worry about it anyway, can see him taking a month or so off after this for it.

This. We were talking about this the other day. Murray is making all the right noises and, if it were Roland Garros, there might even be a point to it. But if Kim goes into early labour while he's physically in Australia he's not going to make the birth no matter how well intentioned he is, especially not if he's actually on court at the time.

Even if he has a private plane on standby (in reality it probably takes an hour or so to organise one) he has to gather his things, get to the airport, clear customs, get in the plane. A quick google suggests a flight time of at least 20 - 23 hours depending on wind direction with at least one necessary stop on route. Not sure whether a private plane would be quicker or slower but presumably it carries less fuel and would need more stops. He's then got to clear customs at the other end and get from the airport to whatever hospital she's in.

Realistically he's a minimum of 24 hours away from her and possibly 4 or 5 hours more than that. Statistically a first time labour last about 8 hours on average and 18 hours at the most (any longer and they'll decide the baby is distressed and do a section - they may decide that much earlier of course). If she goes into labour while he's in Australia he's not going to be there. I'm sure they both know that but he's saying the right things.

I'd be very surprised if Murray didn't leave Australia ASAP if Kim goes into labour. He's said it time and again and is getting a bit pissed off with the constant doubt. Unfortunately for him the only way to prove it will be if she does go into labour. I think he accepts that he may miss the actual birth but regardless would want to be there as soon as possible.

I'd be very surprised if Murray didn't leave Australia ASAP if Kim goes into labour. He's said it time and again and is getting a bit pissed off with the constant doubt. Unfortunately for him the only way to prove it will be if she does go into labour. I think he accepts that he may miss the actual birth but regardless would want to be there as soon as possible.

He will go as soon as news. Fingers crossed she holds off as he has a chance. Hopefully fed beats joker

Not sure I'd agree with this. While Federer is/was obviously in the discussion, he racked up a decent number of his slams in a pretty poor era. I don't think Djokovic's claim to inclusion should rely on his beating Federer's total in arguably the best era men's tennis has ever seen. For me Djokovic is deserving of a place in that group, and has probably reached a higher level than any male tennis player in history.

If Murray somehow took all four slams in one year I would think he'd have to reached a level beyond any of Djokovic, Federer or Nadal at their peak. I don't think it would elevate him to Federer/Djokovic levels in the all time consideration however.

I agree that Djokovic in the last year and a bit has been playing tennis of a level never seen before. To be the undisputed best of all time he really needs to beat Federer's slam total, if he got to 17 his current career would eclipse that of Federer by the time he reaches Federer's age. I think he's on the cusp of being in the greatest ever. I would certainly rank him higher than both Nadal and Sampras despite the slam count being lower.

If Wawrinka managed to bash his away to another Slam win before Murray got another one, I would never consider him a better tennis player. So maybe I am a bit too occupied with the Slam totals at this point of time. I think Djokovic certainly has the potential to finish his career as the best of all time. But I feel he isn't quite there yet, the addition of the French Open would certainly catapult him into the bracket. If he ever managed to win all four slams in the one year, that would elevate him above Federer also.

If and when Serena Williams overtakes Steffi Graf's total I would never consider her greater.

Anyway tonight's Quarter Finals should be interesting. I think Raonic will have too much serving power for Monfils. However with Monfils you just never know what you can get. He has the ability to pass and lob Raonic when he comes to the net, so it has the potential to be very interesting. The problem with Monfils his lowest level will be 2/10. Raonic's lowest level never drops that low. He is always a pretty solid match player. Raonic to win in four.

Murray leads Ferrer 11-2 on any surface not played on clay. His two losses were at the World Tour Finals when he was injured and in that late Asian run of 2014 to get him to the World Tour Finals. Ferrer has changed his racquet and appears to have more pace on his groundstrokes, so this might be closer than any of their meetings last year. I think Murray will be very aggressive on his second serve and look to win this relatively easy. As you don't want to be dragged into a long match with Ferrer.

Murray is on immediately after Konta.

Angelique Kerber has beat Victoria Azarenka for the first time in straight sets. Before today she had lost to her 6 times.

Kerber saved 5 set points from coming behind at 5-2 in the 2nd set to win 5 games in a row.

Anyway Johanna Konta match against Zhang Shuai coming up next.

With azarenka now out, there is no reason Konta can't win this. Azarenka would have been a bad match up for her, but with Kerber winning she's got a better chance of advancing.

Archived