Motherwell v Ross County

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That means nothing because there really isn't much difference in standard between the majority of sides in the league. The sides who finish mid table and above are those sides who can grind out results and pick up points on a relatively consistent basis over the course of the season. We are not one of those sides and if you want to go down the "we're only 4 points away from amid table position" then we are also only one point above the play off position, so I'd say that we need to be looking over our shoulders rather than looking into the distance.

It would be easier to take you seriously if it wasn't for the fact you posted the same stuff when we were finishing second.

Yes, because then we were one of those sides who - despite our faults - could grind out results and pick up points on a consistent basis, especially so in 2013/14, but in reality, we weren't man for man that far ahead of the sides who were finishing in mid table.

MJC in negative post shocker. I don't read his posts. If we won 2-1 in the Champions league final, he would moan it was not 4-1.

The reality is we played well today and on another day would have got at least a draw our overall play merited. Yes we conceded from yet another corner kick And yes it was from their 1st chance. Bloody frustrating.

But we created a whole host of chances and had by far the majority of possession. Their defender heading it over his own goal from a yard out whilst knowing nothing about it sums it up. Then fox produces a worldly from Lasley.

Cadden had a more than decent game and shows McGhee got it wrong last week as we all know.

Frustrating today, but not despondent unlike M J Valium

I thought we played all right, certainly not our best performance under McGhee but think a draw would have been fair. Think people are doing County a disservice as I thought they looked pretty decent at times. Kept it tight, nicked a goal and then soaked up the pressure and hit us on the break. Might not have been pretty and at times there time wasting was getting beyond tedious however I'd be absolutely delighted if we done the same thing in Dundee next week and came away with the 3 points. Fair play to them.

For us, we started slowly and then battered County from their goal until half time but just couldn't score and done the same again for the first 15 mins of the 2nd half. However after McDonald fluffed that one at the near post and the County boy managed to fire Cadden's cross out for a corner from under his own crossbar you got the feeling it wasn't going to be our day. When we did score it was just a case of too little too late as we definitely had County on the ropes after that and still could have gotten the point we deserved if it wasn't for a couple of great saves from Fox to deny McFadden and Lasley.

Think we deserved at least a point but it wasn't to be. McDonald and Moult were not up to their usual standards and the form of those two was a massive part of our unbeaten run and without those two we really struggle for goals. Thought Cadden done well enough on his first start, some potential there for McGhee to work with. Ripley also played well and made a number of good saves to keep us in the game. Johnson put in a number of brilliant crosses but I felt he was guilty of over complicating things at times and trying to do too much.

McGhee said post match that a few will go and few will come in between now in the end of the window. Should be an interesting week ahead then, really believe a few quality additions could be the difference between us fighting relegation and being safe in mid-table.

As much as Motherwell had loads of possession, and put in loads of crosses that missed everyone, I don't think it's unreasonable to think County could have been 4-0 up before Motherwell scored. It's not like Gardyne to not take his clear cut chances. And they didn't have to play particularly well. I wouldn't say any County player would get more than a 7/10 from that, with Schalk's skill and workrate the pick of the bunch.

It's good to see them look dangerous against the run of play, what a difference it makes to have someone like Schalk be able to run with the ball 10-20 yards and McShane able to pick him out. It was a failing earlier in the season.

McGhee said post match that a few will go and few will come in between now in the end of the window. Should be an interesting week ahead then, really believe a few quality additions could be the difference between us fighting relegation and being safe in mid-table.

Thought that was quite an interesting interview. Firstly his comment re: Kennedy and his recent omission was surprisingly honest. Essentially suggesting that he wasn't happy with his application recently but thought he did well today.

Secondly his comments about incoming players was quite reassuring in so much as he's said he wants players coming in for the first team and not to sit on the bench. Having a baseline of "as good as or better than what we have" is at least a tacit acknowledgment that when we've been light we've struggled and *ahem* not been good enough.

Will be interesting to see who's moving on.

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

Thought it was a fairly enjoyable game today despite the result. A huge improvement on last week's showing and some highly encouraging signs from certain players.

After a very slow, scrappy start with neither side properly getting a foothold in the game, County scored with the first shot on goal - a poor one to lose from our point of view as Irvine was unmarked at a corner and had time to take the ball down and shoot. His shot looked netbound and he was announced as the scorer although Schalk appeared to get the last touch on the line. Despite the setback we went on to have the better of play in the first half, Moult and Cadden forcing a couple of decent saves from Fox.

The second half continued in much the same vein as we controlled possession and created a couple of good chances, notably Johnson's driven cross along the six yard box that was begging for a tap in and McDonald turning Moult's cross wide of the near post. County started to come back into the game, though, having one effort cleared off the line before Gardyne looked certain to make it 2-0 when the ball reached him completely unmarked in the box but Ripley stood up well to make a last ditch save. The second goal knocked the wind out of our sails with County looking very comfortable thereafter, and the game seemed to be petering out until Pearson's goal gave us a huge lift. Fox had to be alert immediately afterwards, foiling McFadden's attempted lob just after the restart before pulling off a fine save from Lasley's long-range dipping shot - a remarkable effort that would have brought the house down had it gone in. That was the closest we came as County eventually saw out the long drawn out period of injury time.

McDonald was not as effective as usual as Davies stuck to him like glue and effectively marked him out of the game. Moult was quieter than usual too, with most of the attacking play coming through Johnson and Cadden. The latter in particular was very impressive and on this showing looks a more than able replacement for Grimshaw - good to see another player coming through the youth ranks too. Some of Johnson's attacking play was excellent, although the less said about his corners the better.

From what I've seen from them this season County look good for a top six place, and with so many of the teams being so closely matched we have as much chance as several others of joining them there.

Not sure where the Cadden love in appeared from. I thought he was ok at best. Totally at fault for the first goal having let Irvine wander away himself at the back post and he was generally pretty naive. Not the worst in the world, I just wouldn't want to rely on him for the rest of the season.

A very frustrating game for us we had the talent to win the game but County put in more work and were that bit more streetwise and organised. They got their goals cheaply and that was hugely annoying. We had quite a few chances but were not as clinical. Our midfield was a bit mixed up and Pearson looke d uncomfortable in a holding role. County were a bit fortunate at times but they worked hard and possibly earned it. Heyho next up Dundee

Motherwell's highlights are excellent as always.

They reasonably omit Curran's second shot, which deflected off a defender and bounced and spun out, bizarrely for a goal kick instead of a corner. Motherwell's next attack won the corner for the goal. There were some curious decisions during the game, mostly by the east-side linesman.

I thought McShane and Irvine did well together. The highlights show the brain fart that McShane had with his pass infield that led to a shot. He had a couple of needless shanks out of play later on as well, but he looked knackered.

Excellent highlights from Motherwell as always, but why in amongst the "similar to this" recommendations full of other Motherwell game highlights is there "Celine Dion Live in Las Vegas"?

Not sure where the Cadden love in appeared from. I thought he was ok at best. Totally at fault for the first goal having let Irvine wander away himself at the back post and he was generally pretty naive. Not the worst in the world, I just wouldn't want to rely on him for the rest of the season.

Cadden wasn't marking Irvine, he arrived in the box late and Cadden had to decide to twist or stick with his own man, he decided late to go with Irvine, but too late. Should someone else have picked up Irvine?

Archived