Challenge Cup Restructure

Worktheshaft

Just blow this whole idea up and never let it be heard of again.

Imagine actually going to the Welsh Premier League and asking for their diddy teams to 'enhance' our cup competition with U20s teams already in it.

If the SPFL want more teams in it then bring in the whole Highland and Lowland leagues, bring in the EOS League, bring in the amateur cup winners, the SFA member Junior clubs. Whoever. There's plenty more teams up here, for more interesting games, that are local. Look at the FA Cup and the love it gets for basically going from park football to the Premier League. Do that if you really have to change it dramatically.

Can you imagine a p/t team travelling to Haverfordwest County on a Wednesday night?! Financially it would be brutal, and I'd guess quite a few players would struggle to get 2 half days off work for it.

The only reason that they are considering this is for the prospect of Rangers U20s v Celtic U20s, or Celtic U20s v Cliftonville and Rangers U20s v Linfield or vice-versa. 

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't really been paying attention.

Is this really happening or just a proposal?

If they go ahead then Scottish football will have finally disappeared up its own arse!

If they go ahead then Scottish football will have finally disappeared up its own arse!

It already has:

"There's no question Rangers being back in the top flight will help Scottish football," Doncaster told BBC Scotland.

Northern Ireland have the same format as ourselves, splitting 6/6 after 3 rounds and playing a further 1 round for a total of 38 games. Wales split after 2 rounds and play a further 2 rounds for a total of 32 games.

If the Ulster press earlier in the year were correct, that it would be the 2 highest-placed non-CL/EL clubs from Northern Ireland and Wales, then those clubs would be - Coleraine, Glentoran, Newtown and Airbus UK Broughton.

Although clearly not a direct reflection of capability, quality or strength, the average attendances at those 4 clubs in the season just ended were 896, 1448, 278 and 264 respectively...

Latter are lower than any found in SPFL (lowest were Annan on 447 and East Stirlingshire on 320).

However you do get some interesting views from the Airbus factory works ground. In the second shot more are watching the plane than the match!!

stadium_4.jpg

JS65615938.jpg

That last picture has made me change my mind actually. That is fantastic.

I'm sure the Irish and Welsh teams are playing their games here I doubt they'll send any part time teams to Wales or Ireland that would just be suicide to some clubs finances. The whole idea is just a shambles and the worst part is someone is payed (and payed well) to sit in an office and think up crap ideas like this then say it'll benefit Scottish football.

See if it was just Northern Irish clubs it could work, since all the teams there are of a decent level (Championship/League 1) and are much closer to Scotland than Welsh clubs.

Though it would be easier just letting HL and LL clubs.

Hopefully this is just talk.

Its always struggled for credibility but as soon as you put in U20s, various teams parachuted in from Wales or Ireland for no reason it becomes a total farce.

It will cost clubs a lot of money they don't have - why would these welsh or Irish clubs want to enter, who is going to subsidise it?  

Next step they could just have one finalist and invite Rangers to be the other finalist. 

Aye, surely this pish isn't actually happening? Doncaster is already a monumental tit, but if this pish actually happens then surely we have to storm the SPFL headquaters, capture the cunto, and cut his fucking head off with a guillotine in a public square then make it a rule that his head must be used as the ball in at least 20 games or until it explodes. Whichever happens first. His arms and legs are to be used as corner flags at Hampden until they collapse with rot and his anal sphincter used as a whistle for the next game by the referee who is ranked as having performed the poorest the week before.

Aye, surely this pish isn't actually happening? Doncaster is already a monumental tit, but if this pish actually happens then surely we have to storm the SPFL headquaters, capture the cunto, and cut his fucking head off with a guillotine in a public square then make it a rule that his head must be used as the ball in at least 20 games or until it explodes. Whichever happens first. His arms and legs are to be used as corner flags at Hampden until they collapse with rot and his anal sphincter used as a whistle for the next game by the referee who is ranked as having performed the poorest the week before.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Doncaster is appointed and confirmed in his position by the member clubs. 2/10 for your predictable yelling at a cloud routine.

I'm not against the inclusion of the Bunfields and Welsh in the Challenge Cup in principle, but in practice they're making an absolute **** of it. For it to work at all, it would need to:

- whittle down the Scottish sides to four or at most eight participants at the start of the season v preferably four, possibly eight guest sides. Making qualification for the Challenge Cup a consolation prize in the League Cup groups would avoid playing three extra fixtures to do so and would reduce the number of complete dead rubber games in the group stage

- hold the cross-border rounds from the last 16/8 on weekends - presumably the international breaks in September and October, possibly in March or the Easter weekend as well.

If they set up the tournament like that then there could be some modest interest; as it is, it will be a spectacular failure. 

This sounds, and probably will be, horrendous. I can't wait to draw Celtic/Rangers 20s at Gayfield and have half the towns jakeballs come out to "support" them. I wouldn't be against our board telling the SPFL to ram it.

I think this is the new format

1st round will be the bottom 8 league 2 4 lowland league 4 Highland league and the 12 spl under 20 teams.

Round 2 drops in the remaining league 2 and all the league 1 teams

Round 3 championship 2 Irish and 2 Welsh teams come in

That'll not be right (or someone at the Spfl can't add up)

If I've read you right, that's 28 teams for R1 with 12 added to the 14 winners for R2. With 14 coming in for R3 that would have 27 teams in that round.

Archived