Challenge Cup Restructure

Worktheshaft

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any news on restructuring of this? Nothing on the SPFL site..

Just been quietly dropped?

According to the Arbroath agm it's a goer with the bottom 8 League 2 sides from last year in the first round with the 12 U20 sides and some non league sides. Then the Welsh and Irish join in later.

Complete waste of time.

Put it this way, I hope all lower league teams just play 2nd string teams and go out as early as possible. Wouldnt want my team to waste any time on this competition as its clear the SPFL wanks only want to pander to the tier 1 teams by allowing their u20 teams in.

And then invite Irish and Welsh teams into the later rounds...... get tae f**k.

No idea how these diddy leagues works. Looks like wales is similar to the premiership. post-21687-0-84237500-1464647368_thumb.j

And cheddar and pineapple on a stick league

post-21687-0-67461900-1464647508_thumb.p

Northern Ireland have the same format as ourselves, splitting 6/6 after 3 rounds and playing a further 1 round for a total of 38 games. Wales split after 2 rounds and play a further 2 rounds for a total of 32 games.

If the Ulster press earlier in the year were correct, that it would be the 2 highest-placed non-CL/EL clubs from Northern Ireland and Wales, then those clubs would be - Coleraine, Glentoran, Newtown and Airbus UK Broughton.

Although clearly not a direct reflection of capability, quality or strength, the average attendances at those 4 clubs in the season just ended were 896, 1448, 278 and 264 respectively...

Latter are lower than any found in SPFL (lowest were Annan on 447 and East Stirlingshire on 320).

However you do get some interesting views from the Airbus factory works ground. In the second shot more are watching the plane than the match!!

stadium_4.jpg

JS65615938.jpg

It's no a bad wee cup the Challenge Cup, generally gives a boost to some team stuck in the doldrums and throws up the occasional winner who wouldn't normally see hide nor hair of a final let alone at trophy.

This new thing though, this blight on the diddy team fucking landscape, can just take itself and f'ck itself right up the arse − I'm already semi−raging at the prospect of some arseholes from Wales or Northern Fucking Ireland trotting along for whatever−fucking−reason but the top flight youths are the absolute end of exercise for me − f'ck off ya shower of c'nts !!

I'm not really up to speed with the Northern Irish teams but I believe they have a few teams that are just as steeped in the embarassing and pointless shite that our beloved green and blue bigots are − will this new set−up see us having more of that guff to endure with our bigoted youth teams playing their bigoted senior teams ?

In summary − f'ck off.

When something as ridiculous as this is actually implemented, you really struggle to understand why those running the game are actually there. No-one is happy about the format and the U20s/NI/Welsh teams were always going to piss everyone off.

With the new league cup format (which I also don't like) creating more matches, I think I'd rather just see this competition binned rather than this resulting farce.

I don't have a problem with Welsh and Irish teams, although I think they should have the best teams from those countries not the teams not good enough to qualify for Europe. I'd have teams from the Southern Free State too. You could get some decent away weekends in Dublin/Belfast and I could probably get to a Clyde match at Oswestry so long as it wasn't midweek so selfishly I'd like that.

Under-20 teams f**k off. I hope nobody attends those games and they get kicked out of next year's competition.

Archived