Challenge Cup Restructure

Worktheshaft

Anyone got anything positive to say about this format?

For me it's an interesting idea and I'm willing to see how it pans out. I'd like to see a full Celtic Cup involving the teams from R. Ireland, Scotland, Wales & Norn Iron. Failed Statelet aside there's a few good away days in that. 

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the 20 teams weren't actually against it - they signified their agreement without any bullying or threats or fear of being outvoted. I hardly think it was a major issue for the Premier clubs re u20s in the first place. In essence clubs decided to accept the proposal and give it a try without any major politics coming into play at all.

Anyone got anything positive to say about this format?

For me it's an interesting idea and I'm willing to see how it pans out. I'd like to see a full Celtic Cup involving the teams from R. Ireland, Scotland, Wales & Norn Iron. Failed Statelet aside there's a few good away days in that. 

It looks a bit like the old league cup format, but with the tier 1 sides being given a handicap to even things out.  If everyone participates in good faith then it might not be that bad...

Fair play to them for trying to reinvigorate the Challenge Cup but can't see how costly trips to Wales & Northern Ireland will help Clubs that don't have huge disposable income really.

Not sure about the inclusion of Premiership u20's will bring either.

Fair play to them for trying to reinvigorate the Challenge Cup but can't see how costly trips to Wales & Northern Ireland will help Clubs that don't have huge disposable income really.

Not sure about the inclusion of Premiership u20's will bring either.

I heard somewhere that they are going to provide clubs with a 4k travel allowance to help get to Wales and N.Ireland.

But havent seen anything about compensating players and staff for having to take time off work to go play in these games.

I heard somewhere that they are going to provide clubs with a 4k travel allowance to help get to Wales and N.Ireland.

But havent seen anything about compensating players and staff for having to take time off work to go play in these games.

That's a great point! I hadn't even thought of that.

But havent seen anything about compensating players and staff for having to take time off work to go play in these games.

There is £4k made available if you play cross border. If Elgin City played Stranraer as an example then the same issues re time off work might arise - that is a standard part time football issue. It's Wales and Northern Ireland not Kazakhstan. The clubs agreed to try something different - it might be a success it might not but most felt it was worth a try. Not sure why so much angst and navel gazing is then generated.

The vast majority of Scottish players and staff involved in cross-border games will be full-time anyway and all those games will take place on a weekend date. If the TFS and Welsh sides were being thrown in at the First Round then that would be a genuine concern, but they aren't, so it's not.

It still didn't stop that gibbering buffoon Gordon Waddell wring his hands about 'Peterhead playing Bala Town on a Tuesday evening' in his lamentable Sunday Mail column: a fixture that couldn't occur even in the unlikely event that Peterhead made the latter stages of the tournament. 

I'll admire the efforts of posters trying to defend the changes, but it seems pretty clear that they have been poorly received by most fans and... partly to my surprise... at least part of the media.

Primarily due to the inclusion of 'B' teams and also secondly the inclusion of Welsh/Northern Irish sides (and in particular them entering so far in and later than Scottish clubs although it's obvious why).

I don't think the availability of a cross-border fee or the details of who is or isn't eligible for the Under 20s is really a factor of any significance. People just don't agree with one/both those aspects.

Competition dates confirmed on SPFL website. Presumably the Semi-Finals are still not held at neutral venues btw?

http://spfl.co.uk/challenge-cup/dates/

First round - Tuesday/Wednesday August 2/3, 2016

Second round - Tuesday/Wednesday August 16/17, 2016

Third round - Saturday/Sunday September 3/4, 2016

Fourth round - Saturday/Sunday October 8/9, 2016

Quarter-finals - Saturday/Sunday November 12/13, 2016

Semi-finals - Saturday/Sunday February 18/19, 2017

Final - Saturday March 25 or Sunday March 26, 2017

Press reports - if correct - over the weekend also added some more flesh to the bones. Apparently the non-Scottish teams will be kept apart until the Final - though clearly not if 3/4 made SFs; the 'B' teams if drawn at home will not be required to use their first-team ground; prizemoney for winning the final is £17,750.

Wasn't specific.

Interesting if correct. Can't imagine Hearts 'B' v Annan at Newtongrange, Celtic 'B' v Stirling Uni at Greenock, Ross County 'B' v Montrose at Clachnacuddin, etc. etc. would boost crowds.

It would actually surprise me as you'd think playing at their stadium might be the one thing to turn-out a support. That or make 'B' teams play all ties away.

Press reports - if correct - over the weekend also added some more flesh to the bones. Apparently the non-Scottish teams will be kept apart until the Final - though clearly not if 3/4 made SFs; the 'B' teams if drawn at home will not be required to use their first-team ground; prizemoney for winning the tournament is £17,750.

The U20s ground situation really is a bit of a farce in my opinion, but I also find the prize money very interesting considering what SD said:

no it isnt going to cost you money. In fact it will make you more than last year even if you go out in the first round.

First of all I would say that 'make you more than last year' isn't really a fair statement, considering teams would have lost money going out in the first round year, this is fairly indisputable in my opinion.

Secondly I'd say that in order to definitely not lose money in the first round, the prize money would need to be around £2500 to the loser; which if the case would in fairness make this one less of an issue I have with the competition.

Wasn't specific.

Interesting if correct. Can't imagine Hearts 'B' v Annan at Newtongrange, Celtic 'B' v Stirling Uni at Greenock, Ross County 'B' v Montrose at Clachnacuddin, etc. etc. would boost crowds.

It would actually surprise me as you'd think playing at their stadium might be the one thing to turn-out a support. That or make 'B' teams play all ties away.

Hearts haven't played 20s games at Nitten for a good few years played at Ochilview last season.

I would agree that there would be more chance of getting a crowd in the Premiership sides proper stadium.

Archived