Scotrail

ScottR96

That is a good point. However, I do think that even if it was still just people from Wormit, Gauldry, & Balmerino that used the station, it would still pay for itself within a few years. Although the majority of passengers would only be going to & from Dundee, there would still be a reasonable proportion who would head the other way, mostly Kirkcaldy, Markinch, & Edinburgh I would imagine.

I wonder if there is anywhere I can find data, regarding station profitability. Especially for a station near a population centre of around 4000.
The ORR release data on the station usage statistics and it will be the nearest info you can get. You are also talking about £2 million for a new station.

Lack of groupsave options will clearly result in people doing the sensible thing and staggering their arrival to the rugby across several trains rather than travelling at the same time, together. Any fool could see this.....

Ask them if it helps avoid large crowds, I doubt it.

27 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Can just imagine the conversations across the country....

"Got a spare ticket for the rugby m8, you fancy it?

"Eh.... Dunno, are Scotrail doing groupsave?"

What do you mean imagine I always check this before attending any event.

19 hours ago, The Naitch said:

ScotRail have outdone themselves tonight. Absolute chaos at Edinburgh Waverley.

The train back to Glasgow via Airdrie at half ten was absolute carnage. Rammed full, roasting hot and stopped half a dozen times between stations. Got a wee bit better after all the mutants got off at Bathgate.

31 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Can anyone suggest what Scotrail are supposed to do in these circumstances? 

magic trains and crews from somewhere.  Or get Networkrail  to cancel maintenance on the  only night they get more than a couple of hours to do the work (or the only night they can close the whole of Waverly station).

On 25/08/2019 at 00:10, peasy23 said:

Yep, absolutely no fucks given by them either. Telling folk not to bother waiting for a train, get the bus or something instead.Screenshot_20190825-000717_Twitter.jpeg

How would you like Scotrail to react in this situation? They are dealing with an above average amount of passengers through Edinburgh due to the Fringe/Rugby and are advising that their service will be busy. There will be plenty of opportunities to talk down Scotrail but this isn’t one of them. 

33 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Only thing you'd imagine they can really do on a night like that is shut Haymarket westbound and institute a queuing system at Waverley to avoid the worst of the overcrowding. Of course the layout of the platforms at Waverley would make that difficult, and there is very little available space before the barriers to queue in.

It was a perfect storm of problems on the track coupled with a larger than usual volume of people wanting a train. I laugh at some of the complaints made to Scotrail on twitter when people say can you not just lay on more carriages/trains. You can’t just flood the tracks full of trains, there is schedules that need to be ran to, staff that need to be put in place as well as getting drivers out to drive the trains. I don’t see what more Scotrail could have done. Their customer service through twitter is actually very good and they do a good job of notifying passengers when they encounter problems. 99% of the time the delays are down to signalling issues or other issues with the rail infrastructure, which has absolutely nothing to do with Scotrail. If the train itself breaks down then fine, blame Scotrail, but it’s Network Rail who deal with the tracks and signals and everything else that goes along with it. Scotrail run and maintain the rolling stock, and put the staff in place to run the trains, that’s it. 

I heard a union official on the radio this morning positively preen herself at the situation (the TSSA are on strike with their members refusing to drive trains in times of shortages, which is current practice). She didn't come over well, not trying to hide her glee at the chaos.

It was a perfect storm of problems on the track coupled with a larger than usual volume of people wanting a train. I laugh at some of the complaints made to Scotrail on twitter when people say can you not just lay on more carriages/trains. You can’t just flood the tracks full of trains, there is schedules that need to be ran to, staff that need to be put in place as well as getting drivers out to drive the trains. I don’t see what more Scotrail could have done. Their customer service through twitter is actually very good and they do a good job of notifying passengers when they encounter problems. 99% of the time the delays are down to signalling issues or other issues with the rail infrastructure, which has absolutely nothing to do with Scotrail. If the train itself breaks down then fine, blame Scotrail, but it’s Network Rail who deal with the tracks and signals and everything else that goes along with it. Scotrail run and maintain the rolling stock, and put the staff in place to run the trains, that’s it. 
My mate was in Edinburgh on Saturday, and although they might be ok on Twitter, he said the lack of info in Waverley was shocking. He had left his car at Croy, so could only get the Queen Street high level train, but he said staff were only interested in trying to get folk on any Glasgow bound train regardless of where they were actually going. He also said the lack of any organisation meant it was basically a free for all trying to board a train and if you weren't the quickest on your feet then you had no chance of getting on one.