Scotrail

ScottR96

ScotRail (@ScotRail) Tweeted:
@biilym Hi Billy, this is why we shut down the rail network during these storms. The safety of our passengers and staff is our number one priority. https://t.co/ZudLekvbdL ^Megan

Storm Arwen was one of the worst storms in living memory.

For everywhere north of Stirling this is a yellow wind warning. They will be pulling out the Tay Rail Bridge disaster next. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
18 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
This is also completely unacceptable IMO

People in Scotland are quite simply NEVER going to get on board with moving away from 1 person in a car commutes.

Your post comes across like it’s the people’s fault.  There isn’t a viable alternative.

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

ScotRail (@ScotRail) Tweeted:
@biilym Hi Billy, this is why we shut down the rail network during these storms. The safety of our passengers and staff is our number one priority. https://t.co/ZudLekvbdL ^Megan

Storm Arwen was one of the worst storms in living memory.

For everywhere north of Stirling this is a yellow wind warning. They will be pulling out the Tay Rail Bridge disaster next. 

If those trains have been damaged since Arwen it’s not affecting the ability to run trains tomorrow.  The fear of damaging more trains would be more truthful.

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Your post comes across like it’s the people’s fault.  There isn’t a viable alternative.

No thats exactly my point. The govt rattle on about the green agenda etc, and mete out punishments for driving, such as this pay to park at work shite, yet the service they provide as an alternative is an absolute joke. 

Iv said before, the hours I work, I literally cannot get to my work for a dayshift using public transport. 

These photos show what can happen, particularly in the dark.... winds don't need to be that strong to bring down a tree. Driver in the first pictures was injured, second was a lucky escape.

Network Rail have been carrying out tree cutting to prevent this and "leaves on the line" but they get stick for that. Also can't account for trees on third-party land.

Edited to add.... I see Scotrail posted similar on twitter; it's not even about damage to trains so much, more about injury to staff. 

Screenshot_20220215_194825.jpg

Screenshot_20220215_194913.jpg

Edited by mac.i

18 minutes ago, mac.i said:

These photos show what can happen, particularly in the dark.... winds don't need to be that strong to bring down a tree. Driver in the first pictures was injured, second was a lucky escape.

From a wind POV these are the weather forecasts for where I live both right now and tomorrow. Those winds aren't that high, and are fairly similar both days.

If they can run trains tonight, why can't they run them tomorrow?

Screenshot_20220215-201524_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20220215-201503_Opera.jpg

50 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

From a wind POV these are the weather forecasts for where I live both right now and tomorrow. Those winds aren't that high, and are fairly similar both days.

If they can run trains tonight, why can't they run them tomorrow?

Screenshot_20220215-201524_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20220215-201503_Opera.jpg

Met Office seem to have much stronger winds for Wednesday into Thursday...... 

"Storm Dudley is expected to affect the UK later on Wednesday, bringing a period of very strong and disruptive winds. What to expect: Road, rail, air and ferry services may be affected, and some roads and bridges are likely to close, leading to longer journey times and cancellations. Probably some fallen trees and damage to buildings, such as tiles blown from roofs There is a good chance that power cuts may occur, with the potential to affect other services, such as mobile phone coverage Injuries and danger to life is likely from large waves and beach material being thrown onto coastal roads, sea fronts and properties Further details: Very strong westerly winds are expected to develop across southwest Scotland and northern parts of Northern Ireland later on Wednesday afternoon, extending eastward across southern Scotland and northern England during the evening. There is still some uncertainty in the timing and location of the strongest winds but inland gusts of 60-70 mph are likely, perhaps briefly up to 80 mph in a few places. Gusts of 80-90 mph are possible around exposed coasts and hills for a time."

47 minutes ago, Jon the Oxbow lake said:

I left behind the dummytit in 1979.
I left behind the tricycle in 1983.
I left behind the Go Kart in 1985.
I left behind the bike in 1988.
I left behind the bus & Train in 1996 when I won my full UK driving licence.   

B0B86867-6990-4495-911C-665AE88A022E.gif

1 hour ago, Jon the Oxbow lake said:

......and good for the people of Scotland.    Cars are absolutely brilliant things that should be encouraged and promoted via state-funded lessons at school.    That we we could close bus lanes and actually ease congestion by up to 97%.  

I left behind the dummytit in 1979.
I left behind the tricycle in 1983.
I left behind the Go Kart in 1985.
I left behind the bike in 1988.
I left behind the bus & Train in 1996 when I won my full UK driving licence.   

It's about progression and growing as a man (or a woman).  

Did you get your Driving License in a packet of Rice Crispies?

2 hours ago, mac.i said:

Network Rail have been carrying out tree cutting to prevent this and "leaves on the line" but they get stick for that. Also can't account for trees on third-party land.

Edited to add.... I see Scotrail posted similar on twitter; it's not even about damage to trains so much, more about injury to staff. 

Is Scotland the only place in the world to experience rain and/or wind? Of course not. 

Is Scotland currently experiencing any more extreme conditions than in the past 160-odd years, in which it ran a fit for purpose rail service under pretty much all conditions? No.

Is Scotland's rail service now run by a bunch of risk-averse clowns, who think that public transport is now an optional extra that they get to switch on and off like a tap? Absolutely. 

That's literally the only thing that has changed here, that makes running a service less plausible than in any previous winter. 

As for the forecast conditions for the Central Belt tomorrow, there is no reason why a skeleton service could not be scheduled through the rush hour. A blanket shutdown of all services except the teuchter/Far North lines is completely over the top, and not in line with the decision of other operators at this time. 

Scotrail has a duty to the public to not just strand them in city centres on their whim - that is not the safest course of action.

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

As for the forecast conditions for the Central Belt tomorrow, there is no reason why a skeleton service could not be scheduled through the rush hour. A blanket shutdown of all services except the teuchter/Far North lines is completely over the top, and not in line with the decision of other operators at this time. 

Scotrail has a duty to the public to not just strand them in city centres on their whim - that is not the safest course of action.

By telling folk before they travel they aren't stranding people........ folk know there are no trains so won't be relying on them to get home..........

Oh and I can understand being risk averse bearing in mind what happened at Stonehaven and the impact on staff right across the railway. 

Pulling all services shortly before rush hour due to safety concerns is at least dodgy but doing it so far in advance and not making any accommodations for replacement busses or even an agreement for tickets to he used on normal bus services is just piss poor 

14 minutes ago, mac.i said:

By telling folk before they travel they aren't stranding people........ folk know there are no trains so won't be relying on them to get home..........

They told people at 5pm today, who work in the city centre (as well as other workplaces up and down the country) from tomorrow morning. Where do you expect these people to magic transport from? Why do you expect both they and their employers to deploy their hive mind powers to reschedule everything on a whim?

It is utterly bizarre that you think that this is even remotely practical or justifiable for a public transport network. 

Oh and I can understand being risk averse bearing in mind what happened at Stonehaven and the impact on staff right across the railway.

What happened at Stonehaven was not under a yellow weather warning like Scotrail's recent antics and is not even remotely relevant to any of the challenges facing the network this week (hint: February and August are at opposite ends of the climate year).

If Scotrail's management no longer wish to face the everyday risks of running a public transport network, then they have had 18 months to find an alternative career instead of trousering public money. Their irrational and disproportionate decision-making is not going to fly indefinitely because of Stonehaven

Edited by vikingTON