Road cycling.

Derry boy

You're obviously a simpleton and don't fully understand why some cyclists cycle 2 abreast.

Maybe this diagram will help you understand that it really benefits you as a thick driver

attachicon.gifcycling drawing2.jpg

In that image on the left hand side I'd be much closer to the single row of cyclists. Probably about as close as I could get without causing injury.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rules of cycling are pretty easy.

Cycle on cycle paths whenever possible if the cycle path is of good enough standard. If on the road don't be a c**t or feel like you need to "win" some kind of big man battle with the nearest car, they can hurt you more than you can hurt them.

The rules of driving near a cyclist are even easier - don't be a c**t.

No problem with people using bicycles on the road when they,ve got a purpose eg work. Its the lycra clad Bradley Wiggins " Neverbees" who seem to think they own the road and as someone mentioned in an earlier post get quite irate if you overtake them. If you dont want to see a cyclist in Dumfries then go on the cycle paths.

Do some posters genuinely see everything in comically cliched terms? See for example the craft beer thread and the way some decribe students

Yup, I think some do. Like there's no happy medium.

Cycle on cycle paths whenever possible if the cycle path is of good enough standard. If on the road don't be a c**t or feel like you need to "win" some kind of big man battle with the nearest car, they can hurt you more than you can hurt them.

This. Not rocket surgery, really. I would assume most of us fall into both categories at different times, so it's a case of do as you would be done by.

Cycle paths are usually full of dog shit, dog walkers and joggers.

Cycle paths are usually full of dog shit, dog walkers and joggers.

I know.

I'm lucky that living in Kilmarnock we have a half decent cycle network that can take you for a good 10/15 miles, maybe even further if you follow it a certain way with just the odd road to cross or out to many back roads with very little traffic. I have cycled the canal path in Glasgow out to Loch Lomond and it is dreadful, full of glass and stupid bits where you have to pretty much stop completely to navigate through bollards or tight corners.

Again though my point stands, if you do need to go on the road where it is busy ( I sometimes cycle on the bypass from Irvine to Kilwinning) then really you just need to take care of yourself and hope people in cars do the same. I've stopped on my bike a few times at the side of various roads because I felt it was getting too busy and too dangerous......its just not worth it.

I'm cycling for charity across the whole of 2016 so if anyone is interested in sponsoring me (penny a mile.......£1 for every hundred miles) or even just a small donation drop me a PM. Raising money for the Ayrshire Hospice and hoping to beat my best annual total of 1600 miles.

..........if this wind ever stops.

I agree, I try to do what's safe for me with out being a dick about it.

The cycle network in Inverclyde is more or less non existent, cycle on roads to get back and forward to work, up into the hills at the weekend.

You're obviously a simpleton and don't fully understand why some cyclists cycle 2 abreast.

Maybe this diagram will help you understand that it really benefits you as a thick driver

cycling drawing2.jpg

What if you're a motorcyclist? I was on my motorbike (for sale btw) on the backroads last year and some group of bawbag cyclists decided to ride two abreast meaning I had to wait for a decent spot to overtake them when I could've just rode straight past them in the same lane if they were in single file.

What if you're a motorcyclist? I was on my motorbike (for sale btw) on the backroads last year and some group of bawbag cyclists decided to ride two abreast meaning I had to wait for a decent spot to overtake them when I could've just rode straight past them in the same lane if they were in single file.

Taking into account the likely average speed of the cyclists v's the probable acceleration capability of your motor bike , I'm guessing the delay they caused was quite minimal and probably no longer that someone driving a tractor or towing a caravan etc would have caused.

Taking into account the likely average speed of the cyclists v's the probable acceleration capability of your motor bike , I'm guessing the delay they caused was quite minimal and probably no longer that someone driving a tractor or towing a caravan etc would have caused.

It doesn't matter anyway - I went home to get my car, caught up with them and wiped them all out.

Archived